1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mid Summer Moves Summary

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Mango, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

<b><center>Mid Summer Moves Summary</center></b>

Just a quick recap on what teams have done in the way of moves and those still contemplating major moves. The main focus is on determining which teams are still <i>motivated</i> to make significant moves via Trade this Summer.

<center><b>Atlantic Division</b></center>

<b>
    Boston:</b>

Signed R Wallace to give some depth in the Front Court. No idea if KG will ever try a <i>motivational</i> speech with Sheed like he did with Big Baby. The earlier rumors about a Rondo & Ray Allen package being offered around have died down. Maybe they will try again as we get closer to the regular season. Pickup of M Daniels at a very reasonable price should work out for them.

<b>Philadelphia</b>

Would like to move Dalembert, but they will have to <i>sweeten</i> the deal to make it palatable to other teams.

Brand is probably available for a very reasonable price, but with Boozer and probably Amare also available, a Brand trade will likely have to wait until the other Power Forwards are placed.

With what looks like a tight market for moving some major contracts the remainder of this Offseason, Philadelphia might have to keep Dalembert and/or Brand unless they <i>sweeten</i> the trade package.

Overall, they appear interested in being conservative and not making any significant changes other than to move less than desirable contracts.

<b>New Jersey</b>

Moved Vince Carter to Orlando and is in a <i>Survival mode</i> rather than a
    <i>Contender mode</i>. Not much else to see here.

<b>Toronto</b>

Acquired Hedo, but still lacking a quality <i>Bruiser</i>. Picked up Jarret Jack which should be OK, but doesn't add the needed <i>Toughness</i> inside. Probably done with major dealing until next Winter when they might blow it up if it isn't working.

<b>New York</b>

Offering Curry, but not much interest in that contract. Traded for Darko, but not close to being a <i>Contender</i> this season. They are satisfied to control the payroll and tread water until Summer 2010.

<hr>

<center><b>Central Division</b></center>

<b>Cleveland</b>

Traded for Shaq, but probably need one more player. Pursued Trevor Ariza, but lost him to the Rockets. No idea what their plans are. Perhaps they can pick up somebody when other deals are being made throughout the League. Not sure that Ferry is adept enough to do it because he has failed to being close to a top tier GM so far.

<b>Chicago</b>

Lost Ben Gordon and seems reluctant to make a significant deal. Signed Pargo, but that is a minor move. Hinrich represents the <i>Past</i> for the Bulls, yet Paxson still clings to the <i>Past</i>. They have some nice players along with a young & dynamic PG in Derrick Rose, but adding one more significant player would help them.

<b>Detroit</b>

They are going through a makeover with the departures of R Wallace and AI, but it doesn't look finished. Added Charlie Villanueva and Ben Gordon, but still have Rip & Prince representing the <i>Past</i>. Rip is probably available at a very reasonable <i>price</i>, but with Hedo, Jefferson, and Carter already moved, the demand for Rip might be low.

There was a rumor of Prince being wanted by Portland, but that rumor has faded for the moment.

There was another rumor of some mild interest in Boozer, but Dumars appears very cautious on a possible Boozer deal for the moment.

Overall, the Pistons appear to possibly have another significant move to make this Offseason.

<b>Indiana</b>

Lost M Daniels & Jarret Jack and made a minor addition with Dahntay Jones. The roster has plenty of decent to good players, but only one Upper Tier talent in Danny Granger. They are rumored to have some financial concerns and probably would like to lower the payroll a bit, but a tough Offseason for doing that. Perhaps a minor Party in a multi team trade, but not likely to be a <i>Force</i> in deals this Offseason.

<b>Milwaukee</b>

Moved Richard Jefferson to lighten the payroll. Rumors that Michael Redd is available are also out there. Since they appear to be under some financial restraints, it is unlikely that they will be a major player in trying to build a competitor this Summer.

<hr>

<center><b>Southeast Division</b></center>

<b>Orlando</b>

Traded for Vince Carter and signed Brandon Bass. Resigned backup Center
    Gortat . Signing CJ Watson is quite possible and there is a rumor of Matt Barnes thinking about joining the Magic. Lost Hedo, but they should be in good shape for the upcoming Season. The Trade Exception from the Hedo deal might go unused since the Magic already have enough payroll. They are likely done with any more major moves this Summer unless the deal is tilted heavily their way.

<b>Atlanta</b>

Resigned Mike Bibby & Zaza Pachulia and they are rumored to have some financial constraints. Traded Acie Law and Speedy Claxton for Jamal Crawford. Josh Childress appears to be staying overseas and Marvin Willimas is a restricted Free Agent that the Hawks would probably like to keep. Based on the above, Atlanta is unlikely to be a <i>Force</i> in any significant trades this Summer. Perhaps a minor party in a multi team trade would be the highest expectation.

<b>Charlotte</b>

There have been rumors about the principal owner being under financial pressure and there haven't been many rumors of Charlotte being a key team in possible impact deals this Offseason. Perhaps a minor party in a multi team deal would be the highest expectation for the Bobcats.

<b>Miami</b>

A good team, but not a great team. There appears to be some pressure to
    <i>Do Something Now </i> rather than just wait for Summer 2010. Rumored
    to be interested in Lamar Odom and possibly trading for Boozer. It would likely require the involvement of at least a third team to give Utah the wanted – needed salary relief on a Boozer trade.

<b>Washington</b>

They made their big <i>Splash</i> with the Mike Miller trade from the Timberwolves. There was a rumor about Antawn Jamison being available, but haven't read it lately. So they could be a possible as a <i>Force</i> in another trade, but probably not. Perhaps they could be a minor party in a multi team trade this offseason.

<hr>

<center><b>Northwest Division</b></center>

<b>Denver</b>

At the moment, they appear satisfied with their core roster. Lost Danhtay Jones to the Pacers, but they should be OK. They dumped Camby last Summer for salary relief and they still have a high payroll with Kmart, Nene, Carmelo, Billups and JR Smith. Since there has been very little in the way of trade chatter – rumors and they reached the 2009 Western Conference
    finals, Denver looks to be a minor trading partner at best this Summer. Remaining the same might not be good enough for the 2009 – 2010 Season, but that is a discussion for a different thread.

<b>Portland</b>

Reached the Playoffs this past Season after being absent for a while. The Blazers have plenty of decent to good players, but only LaMarcus Aldridge and Brandon Roy are among the League's upper tier. They have Cap Space to absorb salary this Summer that probably won't be there in 2010 when the renewals for Aldridge and Roy kick in. Close to signing Hedo and failed. They tried to sign Millsap, but Utah matched the offer sheet. It is not panic time yet because they have Cap Space to absorb more salary and with several teams hurting financially, the Blazers still can be a<i>Force</i> in any Offseason Trades.

<b>Utah</b>

Matched the Portland Offer Sheet to Millsap, but they are in a bind financially. Deron Williams, Kirilenko, Boozer, Okur, Korver and Millsap represent a huge payroll in a small market. Boozer is available, but Utah wants to take back the least amount of salary possible in return. With a limited number of teams with Cap Space or significant Trade Exceptions, it might take a multi team deal to move Boozer. So, Utah is likely to
    make a major trade this Summer, but it will take some effort to accomplish and they will interested in taking back less salary than what is going out.

<b>Minnesota</b>

Some decent young talent with Al Jefferson being amongst the League's upper tier. Kevin Love is a nice player, but having Jefferson and Love together forces one of them to play out of position at Center. New management made a move my trading Mike Miller before the Draft, but they seem bogged down for the moment with the Ricky Rubio situation. If they do decide to undo the Love & Jefferson duplication that McHale did, that
    puts another PF on the market along with Brand, Amare and Boozer. For the moment, we will have to consider them a mystery on whether they make any more major trades this Summer.

<b>Oklahoma City</b>

Haven't heard much at all about the Thunder. A youthful team that doesn't appear to be in any rush to be a <i>Contender</i>. Maybe a trade offer will come along to grab their attention, but we will have to wait for that moment.

<b><center>Southwest Division</b></center>

<b>Dallas</b>

Tried to acquire Gortat as a Free agent, but the Magic matched and thwarted them. Lost PF Brandon Bass to Orlando. Gained Shawn Marion in a trade with Toronto, but likely still looking for an upgrade at Center.

Since Cuban always seems to be <i>restless</i> and the Mavericks aging with Dirk, Terry, Kidd and Marion on the roster, they would likely considered to be open for at least another trade this Summer. Their two problems are they traded some of their convenient trade assets in the Marion deal and the market for available Centers with reasonable contracts is fairly tight.

<b>New Orleans</b>

There are still rumors still out there of tremendous financial pressure on the franchise. Other than significantly lightening the payroll for the next several season, the Hornets aren't going to do anything major in regards to trades.

<b>San Antonio</b>

Acquired Richard Jefferson in a Bucks salary dump. Signed McDyess in a push
    to win over the next few seasons. An aging roster that still should be quite good. Since they used most of their trade assets in the Jefferson deal, they are unlikely to be a major factor in any Summer deals.

<b>Memphis</b>

A young team that appeared to be headed in the right direction until they traded for Zach Randolph. Darko landed in New York. With continued financial concerns, they will likely continue to serve as a disposal site for unwanted minor contracts, but unlikely to be interested in acquiring any major salary.

<hr>

<center><b>Pacific Division</b></center>

<b>Los Angeles Lakers</b>

Lost Trevor Ariza and gained Ron Artest. Call it a wash for the moment. Lamar Odom is waffling on what he wants in his next contract. It looks like his two options are to resign with the Lakers for less than what he wants or sign as a Free Agent for even less with Miami. Haven't read of any interest from Portland.

Walton is likely available, but he doesn't seem to spark much interest from other teams, so he will probably remain a Laker. They already have a hefty payroll and the desirable assets aren't likely to be traded, so consider them to be a minor player at best in any Summer trades.

<b>Phoenix</b>

They traded Shaq for <i>odds & ends</i> and show little inclination to be a
    Contender in 2009 – 2010 with minimizing payroll a major goal.

There have been various rumors of Amare being the main piece in a trade to the Rockets or Warriors, but they have quieted lately. With the possibility of Amare bolting in Summer 2010 and current financial pressure on the Suns, the expectations are still there for them to make a major trade this Summer.

<b>Sacramento</b>

They made a minor trade for Sergio Rodriguez and are finally going into the last season of the Kenny Thomas contract.

There have been rumors that Udrih is available with the drafting of Tyreke Evens and the trade for Sergio. Doubtful that there is much demand for Beno this Summer with so many young point guards being drafted last month.

Overall, they are in a youth movement and unlikely to be interested in acquiring any significant contracts. At best a minor player in Summer trades.

<b>Golden State</b>

Traded Jamal Crawford for Acie Law and Speedy Claxton. At times, Monta Ellis has been rumored to be available, but things have gone silent lately.

Before the Draft, there was a story about Amare being traded to Golden State, but that deal has been put on hold for now with the Suns wanting more than what the Warriors were willing to give. Perhaps they will revisit the deal if the Suns get desperate and offer better terms. Other than the Monta rumor and the Amare story, haven't heard much about the Warriors and trades.

They might be interested in rebalancing the roster a bit and moving some longer term contracts, but again they are facing a tough market to do that. I have never been a fan of the <i>style</i> that Nelson favors.

<b>Los Angeles Clippers</b>

They were able to move Zach Randolph to Memphis for Quentin Richardson, but moving Baron Davis is going to be difficult. Camby is in the final season of his contract and they might keep him since they were able to move Zach to clear the overload at the 4 – 5 spots.

The Clippers have been unpredictable over the years, so I consider them an unknown for the moment.

<hr>

<b>Houston Rockets</b>

Lost Artest and signed Ariza in Free Agency. Traded for the rights to David Andersen. McGrady and Yao Ming represent quite a bit of payroll that will be inactive for part and/or all of the upcoming season.

There had been a few rumors about Battier being traded to the Blazers and they might resume since Portland lost out on signing Hedo and Millsap.

The Rockets have a few small Trade Exceptions, but none large enough to absorb significant salary.

There has been much discussion (on the BBS) about possible trades for Amare and various packages from the Hornets, but nothing more substantial than that.

If an attractive deal was presented to the Rockets, then they might be interested.

Consider them a possible in doing a major deal this summer and a good candidate in being a minor participant of a multi team deal.

<b><center>Summary of the Teams in regards to Potential Summer Trades</center></b>
    <center>
    Code:

Motivated         Possible           Minor Deal     Minor to None                                

Utah              Houston            Charlotte      New Jersey
    Portland          Golden State       Milwaukee      New York 
    Miami             Philadelphia       Atlanta        Toronto
    New Orleans       Boston             Washington     Orlando
    Phoenix           Cleveland          Memphis        Denver
                      Chicago            Oklahoma City  Sacramento 
                      Detroit                           San Antonio
                      Indiana                           Los Angeles Lakers
                      Minnesota                              
                      Dallas
                      Los Angeles Clippers

</center>

18 people like this.
  2. Outlier

Outlier Member

I was reading this and I was thinking it was an article from the web. Great work dude. Props to you for writing this up.

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Wow, Mango... great post! Five star thread. :cool:

edit: That's weird. I don't see the "ratings" thingy! :confused:

4. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

rating feature only in GARM

Outstanding writeup Mango...I have been unable to keep up with all the movement aroudn the league so it was nice to see the moves all in one place.

sorry I dont have more to add at this time...jsut wanted to let you know it was appreciated

5. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Mango,

This is good stuff. Definitely a breath of fresh air with all the repetitive garbage threads.

Thank you.

6. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

awesome mango, as per usual

7. Marsarinian

Marsarinian Contributing Member

All respect man. Great job. Much appreciated.

8. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

This is good work. Surprised at the lack of response, since it has the Rox moves more people may read it if it's moved to the Garm.

#8 tiger0330, Jul 19, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2009
  9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Great work here. This thread should be "stickied".

10. manbearpig

manbearpig Member

11. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I think the Pistons have one of the best offseasons going, and I like the new Wilcox news for them. Very interesting roster depending on how Gordon fits in.

12. get.red

get.red Member

Jamario Moon went to the Cavs as well =]

13. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Great job Mango! Terrific thread..

14. rocketier1

rocketier1 Member

Great thread, one that isn't wasting space props bro :)

15. been_exed

been_exed Member

16. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Great work.

Also, the Nuggets basically replaced Dahntay Jones by acquiring Aaron Affalo in their recent trade with the Pistons.

17. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

First time to see that and <i>stealing</i> isn't my style. Some parts similar and some parts completely different.

18. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Fixed that for you.

If you are gonna accuse someone of plagarism, at least give the article you claim is the source the right name.

tryin to use the same title as this thread when it doesnt say that anywhere in the article is the only dishonest thing I see in this thread.

If you think the OP here is the same as that one, then you didnt read the OP.

Neg rep for your dishonesty

19. been_exed

been_exed Member

Haha...neg rep? All I said was that it reminded me of that one particular article. Your reading way too much into my post.