1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Microfracture Sugery Announcement-A Ploy to Not Get Traded?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Blake, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

I just think the timing is fishy.

From the information that has been released, there is nothing structurally wrong with TMac's knee. I believe it still hurts, but multiple doctors have said that the knee is sound and that he just needs to keep playing on it.

Last week, TMac tells the media that he does not need surgery but that the knee has not improved (though he played well on it last season) although MRI's reveal no additional damage

Then, suddenly, his name starts popping up in trade rumors all over the place. All of a sudden, he decides to tell the biggest loudmouth in the NBA media (Screamin' A) that he needs microfracture surgery, which in essence destroys any trade value that he had.

Do you guys think this is a ploy on his end to not get traded?

The Rockets say we will know more by the end of the week...AFTER THE TRADE DEADLINE.

Thoughts?

And if this thread sucks, please let it sink. I just wanted to throw the idea out there...

2. love

love Member

3. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

I agree with you. I think this is a play to not be traded.

4. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Yes it is.

Who cares if the buyer is ready to pull the trigger?!?!

5. Landlord Landry

there is a 20 page thread on this topic. Sticky'd also......

6. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Yeah because teams were just lined up to get TMac before the announcement right? Hottest name in the free agency market. They all saw his great play this year and said, "You know what, lets try to get TMac." Sure, thats exactly what happened. His trade value is just through the roof right now.

7. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Tracy is watching out for his own interests.

But he just burned a major bridge.

I want him gone ASAP, even if we get bench fodder in return.

9. TTRocket

TTRocket Contributing Member

First of all he was never in trade discussions anyway according to Feigen. Second of all microfracture surgery means he would be done for all of this season AND next season, effectively ending his career. This seems a little bit extreme just to avoid being traded from Houston, even though Houston is paradise on earth.

10. Blake

No, I realize that his trade value was low already due to his issues and his contract. However, teams that might have considered it to get under the cap for the 2010 free agent frenzy now won't pull the trigger considering the fact that a microfracture surgery could sideline him for most of NEXT season as well, rendering him useless

11. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Morey said on 610am today that micro-fracture surgery has been an option, just an extreme one.

Does it make sense to consider micro-fracture surgery an "option", if the knee is sound?

12. Blake

So if it's an EXTREME option, why announce to SAS that you are going to have the procedure? I thought he was getting 9th and 10th opinions on the knee. Now all of a sudden, when his name is on the front page of ESPN.com about trades, he announces that he is going to have to get the procedure? And the team has not heard from docs that he has to have it?

I just think it's fishy.

I am not debating the fact that his knee hurts. However, athletes play through pain all of the time...

13. NorCal Texan

NorCal Texan Member

That was the first thing I thought. The rumors were rampant yesterday and after the game he makes the announcement. Something is up. Another interesting thing about yesterday was that Alexander came out and endorsed MeMac. Was that a ploy to raise his trade value. If Morey really wanted to trade McGrady with all the doubt about his knee then a public endorsement by the owner could help, but probably not much. Alexander was throwing around the term superstar alot when talking about McGrady.

14. Blake

I definitely think Les said that to up his value. However, TMac torpedoed that play

15. TTRocket

TTRocket Contributing Member

I think most players, especially ones that have been in the league a long time are missing cartilage. Microfracture surgery is a way to stimulate cartilage growth by creating tiny fractures. In my opinion, McGrady has a legitimate knee problem that he feels is not improving. As to whether he skimped on rehab or just how much pain he is in, only he knows. I think it is pretty clear though after all the medical opinions he has received that microfracture surgery has always been a last resort, and to me this announcement sounds like an emotional outcry from mcgrady at the whole situation. I dont think he actually needs the microfracture surgery, but he is having almost a mental breakdown at the thought of how badly he is playing on his gimpy knee.

16. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

some people.

he will NOT get traded regardless b/c NOBODY wanted him in the first place, surgery or not.

here's what feign had to say:

Do you think this might be a ploy by Tracy, so that he wont get traded?

(No. There was virtually no chance he could be traded. -- Jonathan)

just get over those conspiracies theory. he's just trying to get some type of surgery (minor or major microfracture) to fix his knee so he can get better for his contract year. i'm sure some doctor assured him of that before he made that decision. it's probably the least extensive microfracture surgery ever, just to restore some cartilage and restore strength

17. TD200

TD200 Member

If T-Mac can't be traded, I would like to see the team remains as it is.

18. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

Do you owe Tracy McGrady an apology?

Do you owe Tracy McGrady an apology?

If T-Mac is indeed out for the year to have surgery on his injured knee, do those of you who have dogged him for allegedly dogging it feel you went too far?

We can assume that no doctor would perform an unnecessary surgery. Clearly, there is something wrong with his knee.

Tracy told me several times that this was the most important season of his career. He was as excited about this team's potential as he has ever been. The last thing he wanted was to be injured and unable to play.

His career is on the line here, so don't think he would undergo microfracture surgery to prove a point.

The guy is hurt and has been hurting.

Is it OK to jump on an injured man?

http://blogs.chron.com/jeromesolomon/2009/02/do_you_owe_tracy_mcgrady_an_ap.html

i know this is not enough for people who hate tracy or love conspiracy theories. but common sense now. everybody knows this was a do-or-die season for tracy in terms of his legacy. now he just makes up an injury just so he won't play b/c: (let me name all the conspiracy theories)

1) hates artest and refuses to play with him
    2) hates the organization
    3) hates yao and dislike hte fact not being #1 option and be all end all
    4) ....

when all in fact is the dude is injured.

19. Blake

Some people?

I could say the same thing about you. I bet 90% of your posts are defending everything that TMac does.

For the record, I was a TMac supporter. I don't blame him for his team's failures to advance in the playoffs and I appreciate what he has done when Yao was out.

This is totally different. He didn't take his rehab seriously, skipped the preseason, decided not to play in back to backs, took 2 weeks off, QUIT in the Toronto game (that's when I began to distrust/dislike him), and now is making announcements to the national media without consulting the TEAM.

So keep defending your boy, TMac_1

LAST WEEK, he said that surgery wasn't an option. Since then, he was "relaxing" in Vegas. Then, when his name is all over the internet about potential trade discussions, he tells Screamin' A he needs the procedure. What changed? No doctor's visits, no serious rehabing, just the trade rumors.

And you really think this will be a "minor procedure", when his minor knee surgery (one that I have had and did NOT sideline me for 9 months) has kept him out most of the year?

20. boheezi

boheezi Member

i read from a chinese website saying rockets are talking with the clippers regarding a deal for Baron Davis
    wonder if it is true.