1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Metallica: 40 Years of Metallica Livestream Shows

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Surfguy, Dec 17, 2021.

1. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

If you haven't heard, then Metallica is playing live shows tonight and Sunday from their hometown of San Francisco. The concerts will be livestreamed on Prime Video for free (using app or browser). I assume that means you don't need to be a Prime member to watch these. The first concert is tonight at 11 pm CST. The second concert is Sunday night at same time.

Enjoy or not. It should be pretty cool as they have a ton of material obviously and I assume both shows will have unique setlists.

Anyone checking it out?

tinman, JumpMan and MexAmercnMoose like this.
  2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Streaming music is wrong.

3. MexAmercnMoose

nice find, i'll check it out

4. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

They need a Metallica Mutliverse Metaverse. I prefer the 'verse where they didn't sell out and sue Napster.

boomboom likes this.
  5. Surfguy

Lars Ulrich cannot afford to expand his pool to include a bar because of all the "free" streaming.

[​IMG]

Yet, we get free shows and streams.

ROCKSS, Buck Turgidson and Xerobull like this.
  6. Surfguy

This is awesome!

7. Surfguy

Did anyone catch this? I thought it was really good. Even with 2 shows, it's painfully apparent they aren't going to get anywhere near playing a lot of their great songs. It looks like roughly just over four hours will be played between last night's show and Sunday's show.

The setlist for this first show was:

1. Hit the Lights
    2. Creeping Death
    3. Trapped Under the Ice (First time live since June 23, 2012)
    4. Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
    5. Orion
    6. The Shortest Straw
    7. One
    8. Sad but True
    9. Nothing Else Matters
    10. King Nothing
    11. Fixxxer (Live debut)
    12. Breadfan (Budgie cover)
    13. No Leaf Clover
    14. Frantic
    15. The Day That Never Comes
    16. Spit Out the Bone
    The high points for me in this first show were: Creeping Death, Orion, The Shortest Straw, One, Fixxxer, and The Day That Never Comes. Fixxxer is one song I've never paid attention to before...probably because it came from one of their weaker albums "Reload". But, it was nice to watch them perform it live for the first time. James made a comment after playing it along the lines of..."probably why we've never played it live before". I think he was talking about how technical it was to play live.

It's funny because they were talking to the audience at the end and commenting about "another 40 years!" and "we're just getting started!". But, Lars Ulrich is 57 and I'm going to be amazed if he is still belting out all these songs once he hits 62 - 63 years old. It looked kind of grueling watching him at times play. He had a fierce sweat going. And, then considering how Neil Peart felt at the end of their 40th anniversary tour and how he was in physical pain all over. I know Lars doesn't play as hard as Neil. Good luck to Lars in five years. How much longer can they go on? Hmm.

One of the best I've seen from Metallica (I've seen them 4 or 5 times live). Can't wait for Sunday night and show #2!

#7 Surfguy, Dec 18, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2021
    Buck Turgidson, BigM and JumpMan like this.
  8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nothing else matters

9. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Sad but true

tinman likes this.
  10. Buck Turgidson

11. Buck Turgidson

12. Buck Turgidson

Breadfan is solid.

13. Roscoe Arbuckle

Lest we not forget the guy who got kicked out.

14. Surfguy

They’re just about to start the 2nd show and...the house lights go on and a fire alarm goes off. It looks like they corrected it a few minutes later. I think some were evacuating. Weird.

tinman likes this.
  15. Surfguy

Second show setlist:
    1. Hardwired
    2. The End of the Line (first time live since November 18, 2010)
    3. Dirty Window (first time live since December 10, 2011)
    4. I Disappear (first time live since August 10, 2013)
    5. Am I Evil? (Diamond Head cover) (first full performance since December 5, 2011)
    6. The Memory Remains
    7. Fuel
    8. Bleeding Me (first full performance since December 7, 2011)
    9. Wasting My Hate (first time in front of a live audience since December 7, 2011)
    10. The Unforgiven
    11. Enter Sandman
    12. Harvester of Sorrow
    13. Master of Puppets
    14. Fade to Black
    15. Whiplash
    16. Seek & Destroy
    The only thing I wish they would have done was played an encore...especially when the audience was loudly chanting "one more song" at the end of the show. And, would have been cool to just poll the audience listing a few songs so they could choose. I guess I can understand why they didn't cause of the seemingly fixed format of these 40th reunion shows with a lot of videos between songs and the photo montage stuff at the end. They could have easily planned for an encore, though. I would have liked to see "Battery" at the end. It seemed like they had a strict 2 hour window for each show. For your most loyal fans to travel and show up, they deserved an encore imo. But, that was a great dosage of Metallica and the production was top notch.