1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Messi wins FIFA 2010 world player

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by rox1, Jan 10, 2011.

Tags:
  1. rox1

rox1 Contributing Member

I like him a lot but i think Xavi or Iniesta deserved it more... what ya think? At least all 3 are from FC Barca.

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Best player in 2010 was

Gareth Bale

It's a shame he'll never get to play in a big Int'l tourney due to having been born a few miles too far to the west.

3. rox1

rox1 Contributing Member

4. rox1

rox1 Contributing Member

lol.. he's good but not best player material at least not now. he plays in the premier which is pretty big if you ask me

5. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

You're having a laugh. He was the best player in the EPL in the 1st half of the season and that's that.

Wesley Sneijder and Diego Forlan had better seasons for club and for country.

Since neither of those two were on FIFA list(*****ing ridiculous), then Xavi should have won it imho.

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I'm on the Iniesta train and Xavi is my favorite player. Messi's highlights do steal the show though this season.

7. SamFisher

Forlan? come on he played on a mediocre Athletico Madrid squad and had half of his goals in the Europa league against a bunch of eastern bloc teams.

Bale at least did it against the big boys. Maicon is still probably seeing him in his nightmares.

8. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

It was funny when the camera showed Ronaldo dozing off in the audience - obviously bored since he's not even a nominee.

9. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Well deserved. Nobody else is even close.

10. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

#10 SwoLy-D, Jan 10, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  11. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

Messi didn't show up for his country, BUT since nobody else is even close to his skill level I'd still give him the title. Forlan was a beast for his country, quite good for his club as well, I would have given him 2nd place IMO. I'd put Xavi in third place, I wish he was more of a goal scorer, would be multi-dimensional, but the top midfielder in the game for sure...I'd like to see how he does on a mediocre team, unfortunately he plays with very talented teams at every level, but then again, same could be said for Messi.

12. JuLiO-R-

JuLiO-R- Contributing Member

Chabalala!

13. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

:mad:

Sincerely,

OSCAR "El Conejo" Pérez

[​IMG]

:grin:

14. ferrari77

Atletico Madrid were 9th in La Liga last season but in the top 5 the two previous seasons. To compensate for their 9th place finish, they won the Europa league which is not exactly the easiest championship to win. Atletico made it happen.
    Also, Atletico didn't play a bunch of teams from the eastern bloc, rather they faced Liverpool and a game Valencia amongst others.

You act like Forlan didn't play in the UCL? Keep in mind the award is not for the best player in the latter part of the year. It's to take into consideration the 09/10 season and then the WC (as Fifa are keen to do in WC years).

Before we wax poetic about Bale, keep in mind Maicon sees a bunch of other wingers in his nightmares but the journo's are all on his ish that they don't realize there's a dearth of quality two way fullbacks in World football right now.

I did like how the young American Lichaj handled Bale a few weeks back after Nedum Onuoha pocketed Bale in an earlier match.

You forgot to discuss Sneijder.

15. ferrari77

Xavi excelled for club and country. The only other player that should have been competition for Xavi imho is Sneijder, but Xavi led Spain to the WC and Barca to another La Liga title while Sneijder led Holland to the finals of the WC and Inter to a treble. It could have gone either way and I woulda been fine with it.

I trust FIFA to muck things up as they always do.

16. SamFisher

First, as far as the rojiblancos go....they thought they were going to be 3rd last season with high hopes. A massively embarrassing start to their season, an ass-beating in the champ's league and then a coach firing, does not a great season make, even if they rallied out of the relegation zone. It's nice they beat a declining 'Pool in the Europa league, and then uh....Fulham....in the final.

I don't remember those two occasions you refer to re:Bale, I concede he's fallible, but he's also the most dangerous winger in the world which is why Real, AC etc are all beating down his door.

Sneijder is a nice setup man, but even with FIFA retroactively awarding him others' OG's to boost his stats - he didn't really tear it up THAT much last season.

17. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

http://www.fifpro.org/news/news_details/1409

Very remarkable that the World XI came from just 3 teams... Barcelona with 6, Inter with 3, and Real Madrid with 2 (plus the coach, who started the year with Inter and ended with Real Madrid).

Just ridiculous! Truly, Barcelona has a crazy team.

And as an Inter fan, I have to say... I'm not sure Lúcio should be up there, much as I love the guy.

18. SamFisher

The other teams are mere pretenders and should be abolished, leaving only one team, Barcelona, they can wear Qatar-UAE-Dubai sponsored jerseys, be coached by Sepp Blatter, and play only the Washington Generals on the day after they play double-headers to the Harlem Globetrotters.

In their spare time, they can travel around in a big, brightly-painted bus, and spend their time fighting crimes, solving mysteries, and having adventures.

Messi can play the "loveable kid" role, much like Emmanuel Lewis or Gary Coleman used to. Just paler.

The End.

#18 SamFisher, Jan 10, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  19. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

Xavi may be 1-dimensional, but that 1 dimensional is so ridiculously good and dictates how his teams play. He's always had better than avg teams to work with, but it's not like he's spent his career with the current superstar team, and he's played well with lesser teams. The way the Barca team is currently constructed, I think a Xavi injury hurts them more than a Messi injury atm.

20. rox1

rox1 Contributing Member

lol i was sharing that rain man link with a friend of mine and pasted the wrong one here.. my fault.

heres the one i meant to post
    http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/news;_ylt=AoljvfD6oDn1Z7P5gYnAYuomw7YF?slug=ap-fifaplayeroftheyear