1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Messed Up]Juneteenth Celebration Gone Wrong

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by OldManBernie, Jun 20, 2007.

1. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

Since Hotballa is too busy critiquing the ettiquete of others, I guess it's up to me to share this article.

Texas crowd kills man after car hit girl

By LIZ AUSTIN PETERSON, Associated Press Writer
    1 hour, 20 minutes ago

AUSTIN, Texas - An angry crowd beat a man to death after a vehicle he was riding in struck and injured a young girl, police said Wednesday.

Police believe 2,000 to 3,000 people were in the area for a Juneteenth celebration when the attack occurred Tuesday night.

The driver had stopped to check on the little girl at the entrance to an apartment complex when a group of men attacked him, authorities said. The passenger, David Rivas Morales, 40, got out to try to help the driver, but the crowd turned on him, said police Commander Harold Piatt.

Morales was beaten to death by as many as 20 men and left lying in a parking lot, Piatt said. A preliminary autopsy listed blunt force trauma as the cause of death.

The little girl, 3 or 4 years old, was taken to a hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

The driver, who got away from the crowd, is cooperating with investigators, police said.

Piatt did not know how many witnesses had been identified, but thousands of people had been in the area for the daylong festival. He said no guns or knives appeared to have used in the fatal attack.

Juneteenth marks the day Gen. Gordon Granger arrived in Galveston in 1865 to share news of the Emancipation Proclamation, which freed slaves two years earlier on Jan. 1, 1863.

2. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Holy crap. He hit a girl but not even bad enough to have life threatening injuries, gets out to check on her and they still beat the crap out of him? And they kill the passenger who wasn't even freaking driving the car?

Damn, mobs are scary things, man.

3. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

Crazy.

I wouldnt think alcohol would be involved in a Juneteenth celabration but I really don't know.

4. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Not to gravy train on the thread, but a similar event happened in Milwaukee with their Juneteenth festival. They have video too.

http://www.620wtmj.com/news/local/8092297.html

It looks like only a few people were involved, but a big group of people just stood around watching.

5. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

I thought people in Austin were peaceful because they smoked a ton of weed.

I guess I was wrong.

6. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Freakin' animals... :( the ones that beat up the dude and the ones that just stood there watching... no way the driver will pick out people from a lineup :eek:

7. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

Sounds like a hate crime if they beat the passenger to death. Doesn't help Texas' reputation either.

8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

unbelievable

9. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

when keepin it real goes wrong.

10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

its peaceful outside the eastside of 35.

11. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

Isn't Juneteenth observed because Confederate Texans "forgot" to tell slaves they were free? It took a Union General and 2,000 troops to get the job done. That's a real reputation builder.

12. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I heard I-35 is where it is because it marked the division between white and black Austin.

13. tinman

Supporting Member

dont forget our latino friends live on the eastside.
    actually the eastside is really not that bad. more people die here by traffic then by murder. lots of DUIs since there is a big college party scene.

they are actually pushing out poor people on the eastside to build these high rise condos/lofts. its kinda sad, but i think that happens in most cities that are growing. anything near downtown suddenly goes up in value and so do taxes.

14. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

wow, i'm sure glad i never left clutch city, tinman. i don't know how you can live with yourself in that city.

;)

15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

but did you notice they were celebrating it in Milwakee? I actually I heard a couple of years ago it was spreading to other states which is kind of cool, minus these type of crap of course.

16. tinman

Supporting Member

clutch city is in my heart and in all heroes hearts.

Aman, jordan.. is clutchcity
    Shanghai..is clutchcity
    some prison in florida..is clutchcity
    the TNT studios..is clutchcity

17. MadMax

18. tinman

Supporting Member

19. MadMax

i'm sure it makes you feel better to believe that, tinman.

20. tinman

Supporting Member

So you don't think that Hakeem created Clutch City?
    I don't remember any championships before that. do you?

Clutch City is a force that was created by heroes on that faithful day in Phoenix when the Rockets were down 0-2, down at half time.

When a heroe emerged and led his team, he opened the lanes like Moses parted the red sea. He said "F$#K YOU, LET ME PEOPLE GO BEATCH!!"

And he opened the door to a kingdom that was not on Earth. It was the kingdom of CLUTCHCITY.

Maxwell FOREVER!!!