1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Memphis: Can I haz future?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, May 13, 2012.

Tags:
  1. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

They would have to give Gay another full year at least, but the production needs to be better to justify his contract under the new CBA.

2. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

The deal I suggested wasn’t bad at all; you should be more offended by the Davis + Redick deal.

The problem is you are delusional enough to think Gay is on Durant’s level and marginalize Gerald Wallace as a “retread.” Look up their stats, Rudy Gay and Gerald Wallace had pretty much the exact same FG%, 3PT%, and FT% this season. Per 36 minutes, Rudy Gay turned it over more, rebounded less, and assisted less than Wallace. The big difference is that Wallace can take a backseat and let the offense run through the Memphis bigs while playing lockdown D…which Gay is capable of, but doesn’t do consistently. Then you also get some much needed shooting from Morrow.

I didn’t come up with the deal to put down Gay, it was a good attempt at fielding a better team and avoiding the stiff luxury tax penalties that kick in after this year. Finances do matter, especially to a small market team like the Grizzlies whose average ticket sale prices are dead last in the entire league by a large margin. If the Grizzlies think their team is perfect as is and the owner really has no problem bleeding money in the future, then good for you. Or if they can get an amazing deal like another top 10 pick in this draft and substantial cap relief, then that is great too. I just think that scenario is harder now with this draft being much stronger and how important good money management is now under the new CBA.

3. what

what Member

The grizzlies aren't bleeding money. They are under the luxury tax and will remain so even if we keep Gay, which we will.

The grizzlies have a big 3 and Conley: considered our core. The rest of the cap will be manned by rookie contracts and journeymen.

You, and others might considered the "core" ridiculous and first or second round fodder. That is your choice, but the grizzlies will keep this group together.

4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Grizzlies, Hawks, and Rockets are in the same boat. They are going nowhere with their current cores and hard to go up another notch unless they get lucky somehow.

5. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

I get what you're coming from. I like Gay but Wallace would probably be a better fit since he doesn't need to be a focal point on offense. He's a pretty efficient scorer by just by doing dirty work because he's an elite rebounder for his position and an excellent finisher on fast breaks off turnovers which the Grizz thrive on. He's been a 47-49% scorer at around 15 pts the last few seasons. The Grizz would also have 2 of the best and grittiest backcourt defenders in the game with him and Allen. Anthony Morrow solves some outside shooting problem. Randolph and Gasol really do need to be the focal for the Grizz, not Gay.

6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Truth right here.

Grizzlies are the best of these teams, but unless they retool I don't think they are a contender if they just stay the same.

People putting down Big Baby like he's a scrub but Give him the minutes he will produce. When zbo or gasol goes out they'll have another big man that can rebound, post up, AND hit the mid range jumper. They don't lose much (although z-bo is better obviously)

any ways wallace is a expiring and would be a rental just like Battier was. Because he'll go ring chasing I bet right after that year, so it shouldn't be a long term move and if he won't go ring chasing then he'll be looking to tie up more money. I don't think that is that good of a move...on paper it is, but contractually it isn't.

With the trade I suggested they add to their depth and keep flexibility. Unless some dumb team falls in love with Gay and gives them their young players for him (like heyward for him) it's the best they can do for Gay unless they are packaging him with someone else they have.

Either way this team as constructed is not a contender. As such they should be looking to improve it...or they can be the Hawks and sit on that core for as long as possible and be happy with the playoff revenue.

7. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

False. Anytime you are in the 4th 5th seed range the team can get a tiny bit better enough to compete seriously. When you are as far behind as the Rockets? Thats completely stuck with 6th 8th seed hopes at best. They are stuck in a good position with a small amount of chance to compete. The Rockets have no chance to compete where they are stuck at. That is a huge difference.

8. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

That rockets team couldn't even beat a young jazz squad,so wha are u talking about. Oh I guess you didn't watch as gasol used to dog yao and we know what z-bo would've done to scola. Top that off,that rockets team was flawed because they didn't have a 3rd scorer except the yr artest was here. Their team is not capped out and if they are,they still have 3 all star caliber players and have withstood major injuries. As I said,this team will be a top 3 or 4 team in the west for at least the next 3 yrs. So if u say they're mediocre,that's ur opinion,but I think they will win 50+ games next yr unless they have injuiries at the same position like this yr.

9. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

How do u put the rockets in hawks and grizz class. The grizz qnd hawks have tradeable,young asset. What do the rockets have? Exactly.

10. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

When Gay was out last year, Memphis were the real deal. They aren't maximizing their best option, which is to go through Gasol and Z-BO.

They dont have any outside shooting to compliment Zbo and Gasol drawing doubles. They need to trade Allen and Gay for Prince and Gordon. That way they still have Tony Allens defense in Prince and Gays explosive scoring in Gordon. But the team would be better balanced and suited to run through Gasol and Z-Bo.

11. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

3rd scorer? Scola, Brooks, Wafer, Barry, Artest, Landry

Let me just remind you of our roster since you seem to have forgotten.

Brooks / Lowry
    McGrady / Wafer / Barry
    Artest / Battier
    Scola / Landry
    Yao / Motumbo

That team is straight up stacked with a HOF coach. Compare it to the Bulls who were a #1 seed.

The team is not capped out?!?! WHAT?!?! The Grizzlies are in cap hell until 2016. 3 All stars? Rudy Gay is not an allstar. Gasol is the only legit all star on that team and he is a weak one at that. Zbo is an allstar like Mo Williams and Jameer Nelson were. A top 3 or 4 team in the west doesnt mean anything. The league is garbage now. There are the Spurs, Thunder, Lakers, Bulls, Heat and Celtics. If you arent one of these teams, you don't matter. Period.

50 wins! What an accomplishment!

Listen friend, you have a very clear choice here. Either admit that that the Grizzlies are not, nor will they ever be a contender with a Rudy Gay core, or give Morey credit for his work.

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Cap room. And traceable young asset. J

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

Which thread to bump? This or this?

Anyhow, Alex Kennedy of pHoopsWorld reports 'Grizzlies may trade Rudy Gay'

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I question what they can get in return because of that contract. Certainly not equal talent. Similar to the Lakers and Pau, it will be hard for the Grizzlies to trade Gay an be as good next season.

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Thanks, Obama! :)

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ePNdcdNm9fY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#115 Carl Herrera, Jun 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

"Rudy Gay will likely be the subject of trade rumors."

Is this the same as saying: "Rumor is Rudy Gay will likely be the subject of trade rumors."

17. what

what Member

If the grizzlies make a trade for Gay, I would think a deal like: chris singleton, 3rd pick in draft plus blatche (bad contract) for Gay and 25th pick in the draft is a deal that could be made.

The warriors won't be a trade partner because Jerry wants to trade Gay for the 7th pick and filler, which ain't going to happen.

NJ has nothing the grizzlies would want. That's stupid. If we were to salary dump it'd be randolph not Gay to NJ. The raptors might be a nice partner, but it would need to be something like Ed Davis and the 8th pick for Gay.

If Gay is traded like for a multi-player deal in return. That is why Washington seems a good destination, if we go that route.

But hoopsworld is about as reliable as national enquirer, so don't hold your breath on a deal.

I can tell you that Gay is Heisley's favorite player, so the chances that Gay is traded are slim and none.

18. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

Not with the team they have now...

19. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

I can see a team like the cavs making a move for him. They could offer Jamison and a future top-3 protected pick for him. They'd be nice especially if they can draft Beal.

20. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I know Rudy Gay will be worth a lot more shane battier.