1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Melo has surpassed Dirk.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by OldSchool34, Jan 18, 2010.

1. OldSchool34

OldSchool34 Member

If you are talking about complimenting someone's game? Yes. I doubt Perkins and a bunch of roster fillers would be enough for Dirk to win a ship though. Because Dirk had Kidd, who was a Top 5 PG at the time when they got him. He didn't compliment his game as much as people thought he would.

Perkins is the best defensive center in the NBA.

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

OK.

I have an unrelated question, but I would like your opinion if you don't mind.

In a list of top SF of all time -- LeBron over Havlicek?

3. OldSchool34

OldSchool34 Member

If you are comparing basically player vs player, then It's LeBron, LeBron is probably the 2nd or 3rd greatest small forward of all-time already as far as talent goes. He just needs to maintain that success. The only two guys I can think of who were better talent wise than LeBron at the small forward position other than the Great Larry Legend is either Rick Barry or Elgin Baylor.

4. durvasa

Makes sense. I have a similar opinion.

Another quick one (again, unrelated):

Wilt Chamberlain or Bill Russell?

5. OldSchool34

OldSchool34 Member

There is no right or wrong answer there and I cannot answer that at all. It's almost impossible for me to rank the Top 3 centers of all-time, Russell, Kareem and Wilt. It changes almost every day, because they were just so great I have a hard time putting one of those guys at the third spot. I might go with Russell personally because the way he played was the definition of winning. Intangibles, Defense, rebounding, Passing, unselfishness, etc. All of those are essential to winning a championship today. I'll take prime Wilt over prime Russell, but that's because Russell was so consistent in his career you couldn't tell when his prime was.

6. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

I recall many people here saying that it was a mistake trading an up and coming PG like Devin Harris for an old Jason Kidd with bad knees and suspect jumpshot.

7. OldSchool34

OldSchool34 Member

I thought it was a mistake too, but there's a reason why Kidd doesn't compliment Dirk's game. Dirk is just not a finisher like an Amare Stoudemire. He benefits off of Nash, now his entire game is good because of Nash that's a complete myth. Nash does help Amare's game though and he helps score more efficiently because that's what a PG does and that's what they are suppose to do. Amare was a fairly capable 25 PPG scorer before Nash, difference? He shot around 45% during those stretches. He started scoring at 55% under Nash, as you can see finishers like Amare benefit off of pure PGs, but shooters that can create their own shot don't.

8. durvasa

I see what you're saying. Bill Simmons wrote a very detailed argument in favor of Bill Russell in his latest book. I used to favor Wilt in the debate, but his arguments for Russell were compelling.

9. OldSchool34

OldSchool34 Member

Any other questions you want to ask me? :) I enjoy it personally. But I would like to know why you are asking me these off-topic questions.

10. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

No big secret that Amare is more athletic then Dirk nor that Dirk is a more complete offensive player than Amare.

Btw, do you miss Deke man?

11. OldSchool34

OldSchool34 Member

Yes, I certainly do miss Mutombo, just think of how many more shots would be altered, how many more rebounds would we get and how much better defense we would be playing. :eek: But oh well, at least our guys are shining. Dirk is not necessarily more complete than Amare, more versatile might be the better term.

12. Tuan

Tuan Member

The are both the same to me. Great scorers and nothing else. Melo has improved his D somewhat but it still sucks.

To be a great wing player, you have to able to handle the ball and make your teammates better. Melo has decent handles but its no where in the class of Wade, Kobe, or Lebron. He is a 2nd tier player IMO.

13. durvasa

We don't see eye to eye on Melo vs Dirk, so I'm just trying to get a sense of how you see some other random topics.

14. conquistador#11

I thought this thread was about melo surpassing dirk as the biggest whiner, but i thought the title belonged to kobe. :confused:

15. OldSchool34

OldSchool34 Member

Probably, LeBron, Wade and Duncan are up there.

They are even passers and rebounders though, they are both adequate at it but aren't necessarily good at it, or at least it's not a blinding weakness.

16. wekko368

wekko368 Member

So when Carmelo has the advantage in something, its a crucial statistic (fta), but when Dirk has the advantage in something, they're both just adequate at it?

17. OldSchool34

OldSchool34 Member

Dirk doesn't have an advantage in reboudning or passing. You might want to um support it? Before just making it claim.

18. wekko368

wekko368 Member

My fault. For some reason, I thought Dirk's 8 rpg was higher than Carmelo's 6.3 rpg.

19. OldSchool34

OldSchool34 Member

Oh Jeez, I'm sure Melo playing with much better rebounders won't have any affect. I'm sure Dirk's 5 inch difference over Melo won't have any affect either, even if Dirk is mobile and somewhat athletic. :rolleyes:

20. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Of course the height differential matters. That's one of the main reasons Dirk is a better rebounder than Carmelo.