1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Melo has surpassed Dirk.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by OldSchool34, Jan 18, 2010.

1. OldSchool34

OldSchool34 Member

Melo is the exact same way as well. He's not a 7-footer though. And It's not like he doesn't have a unique skillset of his own either. Barkley last year even said he's the best pure scorer in the NBA, which I second by the way. Dirk and Melo shoot the exact same FG%, decimal for decimal. Melo has become a better passer as well. In my opinion, It's easier to stop Dirk than it is to stop Melo.

1 person likes this.
  2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Exactly.

One of the dumber comments in Barkley's TNT career, and that's saying something.

"Pure scorer" is apparently another way of referring to a scorer who doesn't do anything else that well. Because there is no other explanation for saying Anthony is a better scorer than Kobe Bryant.

3. OldSchool34

OldSchool34 Member

Melo is better at posting up and a finisher, at least if you ask me, He's just so much stronger than Kobe, Kobe couldn't contain Melo's jockstrap in the WCF last season. It's obvious Melo has improved on his defense, his rebounding has always been above average, and his passing have improved at least out of double teams.

4. durvasa

Kobe Bryant is a far better post up player than Carmelo Anthony, if you ask me. Unless Anthony is getting a point-blank layup or dunk, he is not an efficient scorer close to the basket. Why do you think he gets all those offensive rebounds? Because he misses those shots a lot. And if Anthony is stronger than Kobe, its not by much.

5. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I call bull****!

1 person likes this.
  6. OldSchool34

OldSchool34 Member

Maybe this season after Dream taught him his moves. It's hard to miss a lot of shots, get offensive rebounds and still shoot around 47%.

7. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

Aaron Brooks > Andrew Bynum

8. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

Farve > Matt Schaub ?

Start the fire boys.

9. mazyar

mazyar Member

Kevin Durant has surpassed Danny Granger but not Brandon Roy yet.

I just thought you guys would want to know that...

10. OldSchool34

OldSchool34 Member

Keep in mind fellows, Melo is the far away better defender, Far away.

11. durvasa

They both play big minutes for their respective teams, and (according to 82games) the Mavs give up 6.2 less points per 100 possessions with Dirk on the floor compared to the Nuggets with Carmelo on the floor. The aforementioned adjusted +/- for this season is largely in Dirk's favor, but I don't know how much of that is offense vs defense.

Before this season, a weighted analysis of the prior 3 seasons (giving more weight to the 2008/2009 season) estimated Dirk's defense performance to be in the 40th percentile, while Carmelo's was down at the 8th percentile (source). Large standard errors, of course, but even taking that into account (and assuming their defensive ratings are more or less independent) there was a mere 10% chance that Carmelo was a better defender than Dirk.

So, that's my 10,000 feet comparison of their defense based on what their team does with them on the floor. I'd like to hear specifics on what you think Carmelo does well as a defender, as currently I do doubt he is far and away better.

12. roslolian

roslolian Member

LBJ is converting at 0.510% this season. he's a better "best pure scorer" than Melo.

I'm with Durvasa on this one, Dirk's a more versatile scorer, simply because he's 7 feet and Melo isn't.

1 person likes this.
  13. OldSchool34

OldSchool34 Member

Since I don't waste my time with stats all the time. You just need to tape in on how he defended Kobe in the WCF last season, because he did a very good job. I don't recall the last time Dirk shut someone down or even had the balls to even guard the best player in the post. I'm not like you, I prefer watching games and instead of using a bunch of stats like +/- or 82games stats. Melo is the better defender, he wasn't a couple of years ago and they were both even, but Melo is the better defender now and by a long shot.

14. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

That's not saying much because IMO Melo isn't much of a willing defender.

And while Dirk is a bit of a marshmallow on the defensive end, he still will get you almost double digit rebounds a night.

15. OldSchool34

OldSchool34 Member

I would hope so, since he's a 7 footer that doesn't even play defense. Melo can lock down on defense when he feels like, and he did in the WCF against Kobe. Dirk's basically only job is to rebound so if he doesn't rebound than he wouldn't even be a Top 10 player, he would just a be one-dimensional player. Melo gets a good amount of rebounds himself, and you also have to keep in mind that Melo plays with a lot of good rebounds. (K-Mart, Birdman, Nene, etc.) all better rebounders than what Dirk has.

16. durvasa

I watched Carmelo play defense in the playoffs last year. What I saw was a player expending a lot of energy and giving an admirable effort against Kobe. I don't doubt his competitive spirit in big games and he certainly has a live body. But that just isn't enough for me to look past the available evidence and declare him "far and away" better at defense.

I'd be willing to give him an edge, but it sounds like you think its something much more than that. Frankly, I don't see either as being significantly better on defense than the other.

And I find some of your comments in this thread regarding Carmelo's performance in the WCF kind of curious:

"Melo is better at posting up and a finisher, at least if you ask me, He's just so much stronger than Kobe, Kobe couldn't contain Melo's jockstrap in the WCF last season."

"You just need to tape in on how he defended Kobe in the WCF last season, because he did a very good job."

"Melo can lock down on defense when he feels like, and he did in the WCF against Kobe. "

FYI, Kobe Bryant averaged 34/6/6 and Carmelo averaged 28/5/4 in the that series. And Kobe was more efficient. Oh, and Kobe's team won. I guess Carmelo should have done a better job.

17. OldSchool34

OldSchool34 Member

Melo was dominant in the first 2 games against Kobe and IIRC, they ended up putting Ariza on Melo after the first 2 games, when they went to Denver for the 2 road games. I don't believe Melo had always defended Kobe at all-times because IIRC again, Melo had fouled out in some games and they ended up putting J.R Smith on him or even Dahntay Jones on him. That being said, I've just never seen Dirk defend the post player, so not only does he get lit up at times, but he never really guards the best post player either.

18. durvasa

LOL ...

Might as well rename this thread:

"Melo has surpassed Dirk when he feels like it (though his team doesn't need him as much)"

You'd have gotten no argument from me then.

19. OldSchool34

OldSchool34 Member

Nope, even when he doesn't try it's still better than Dirk on defense, him putting effort just makes it far away. Not sure if that makes sense but I doubt it, with your little stats.

20. durvasa

Carmelo had 5 fouls in game 1, and 6 fouls in game 3. Kobe scored 40 in both those game (both Laker wins).

Is that what you're referring to when you said Carmelo "locked down" Kobe?