1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McNamee to Submit Physical Evidence

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by A_3PO, Feb 6, 2008.

1. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

This ratchets things up several levels.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3233878

Wednesday, February 6, 2008
    Report: McNamee gives vials, syringes, gauze pads to investigators
    ESPN.com news services

Former personal trainer Brian McNamee has turned physical evidence that he believes will show Roger Clemens used performance-enhancing drugs over to federal investigators, his attorneys told the New York Daily News.

"This is evidence the government has that we believe will corroborate Brian in every significant way," McNamee lawyer Earl Ward told the Daily News.

The lawyers wouldn't discuss what the evidence is, but a source told the Daily News that McNamee gave vials with traces of steroids and human growth hormone, as well as blood-stained syringes and gauze pads that might contain Clemens' DNA, to the Justice Department's BALCO investigators.

The evidence has been sent to a lab for testing, and prosecutors might seek a court order for a DNA sample from Clemens if the evidence contains traces of drugs and blood, the Daily News reported.

McNamee kept the vials, gauze pads and syringes from the 2000 and 2001 seasons because he feared Clemens would deny using performance-enhancing drugs, the source told the Daily News.

"We will provide Congress with corroborative physical evidence that takes this case out of the he-said, she-said purview," another McNamee attorney, Richard Emery, told the Daily News. "From our point of view, this corroborates that Brian told the truth from Day One and Clemens has not."

Other witnesses may also come forward with information that corroborates McNamee's, the source told the Daily News.

Clemens gave a sworn deposition for about five hours to congressional lawyers behind closed doors Tuesday, addressing his former personal trainer's allegations. And this time, Clemens was under oath.

"I just want to thank the committee, the staff that I just met with. They were very courteous," the seven-time Cy Young Award winner said, wearing a pinstriped gray suit instead of a pinstriped New York Yankees uniform. "It was great to be able to tell them what I've been saying all along -- that I've never used steroids or growth hormone."

Tuesday's deposition was the first time Clemens faced legal risk if he were to make false statements.

In the 1½ months since former Senate majority leader George Mitchell released his report on drug use in baseball, Clemens strongly and repeatedly denied what McNamee said -- in statements by his lawyers, in a written statement, in a video statement, during a taped TV interview and in a live news conference.

Clemens' private testimony to the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform came one day after his Yankees teammate and workout partner, Andy Pettitte, gave a deposition to committee staff for 2½ hours. Both players' interviews were preparation for a Feb. 13 public hearing expected to focus on McNamee's allegations in the Mitchell report that he injected Clemens more than a dozen times with human growth hormone and steroids in 1998, 2000 and 2001.

Clemens acknowledged he received injections from McNamee, but he said they were for vitamin B-12 and the painkiller lidocaine. His repeated rejection of contents in the Mitchell report drew Congress' attention.

Clemens, Pettitte and McNamee all are slated to testify Feb. 13.

McNamee will discuss his evidence with the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform on Thursday, when he is interviewed by its attorneys.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

he kept roger's blood syringes and gauze pads from 8 years ago?

because he feared roger would deny it later???

help me understand how this makes sense. the time between all of these events is crazy.

3. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

I think the man had a plan to extort Roger Clemens when the time was right. 8 years later, in case he would deny it.

4. conquistador#11

^^

i thought keeping monica's stained dress was pretty extreme.

5. msn

msn Member

He's kept them in his possession for 8 years. How can the tests demonstate that he didn't add HGH or steroids last week? Or even the week after he pulled them from Roger's gluteus?

And, the timing of this "announcement" looks awfully fishy. It looks like they've had this thing planned out for a loooooong time--aces in their hold. It's too calculated. Why not play one's entire hand right away, unless is *expecting* a poker match?

The extortion comment above sounds awfully plausible, to be honest.

6. danny317

danny317 Member

man if the tests come out positive. looks like its game over.

7. msn

msn Member

Presidential semen and Hall of Fame bloodstains.

I love America.

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Totally sick, isn't it?

9. MadMax

it's called chain of custody in a criminal proceeding. there is absolutely nothing credible about this at all. we have absolutely no idea what's happened with these things over the course of the past 8 freaking years.

i can't believe how crazy this whole thing has become. let's just burn everyone in the mitchell report at the stake and get it over with.

10. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Absolutely. No chance in hell a lawyer like Dick DeGuerin allows this to take down Clemens. I don't trust Roger as far as I could throw him. However, there is no way this evidence can be considered credible.

11. danny317

danny317 Member

im sure rodgers lawyers will claim the blood on the syringes were obtained at a later date, or the steroids were added later...

but why would rodger have a trainer inject him w/ anything? is this normal for athletic trainers? wouldnt you want the team doctor to be injecting you...

and where would mcnamee store bloody syringes and gauze pads for 8 yrs?

12. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

He's already said that McNamee regularly injected him with B-12 and lidocaine.

13. danny317

danny317 Member

yeah but do athletic trainers, in general, inject their players?

14. MadMax

i think they do with cortizone shots...ask curt schilling.

nurses do injections at my doctor's office...and my kids' doctors office..nothing magical about giving a shot.

15. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

My guess is the gauze pads are stored next to the 3-in-1 oil that was used to prepare the Fetzer valve.

16. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Again, why wouldn't he have a team doctor do that?

Roger did it and MacNamee held onto the evidence to extort Roger someday or to save his own ass like he's doing now.

The real question is how stupid are these athletes. Paying for illegal drugs with checks, ordering stuff online, and letting somebody else take care of the "evidence."

17. MadMax

with the ball bearings. come on, freak...it's so simple...it's all ball bearings.

18. MadMax

how does this save mcnamee???

19. Gene the PIG

Gene the PIG Member

Yep, I agree with yoos guys.

This doesn't really do anything except make McNamee look desperate, IMO.

The chess match continues.

20. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Great name for an album.