1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McNair: NFL's most inaccurate passer

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by RichRocket, Sep 9, 2001.

Tags:
  1. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

The guy drives me crazy. How did he ever get his nickname "Air?"

I admire his toughess, but he can't hit wide-open receivers.

Any diagnosis out there from football fans?

2. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Maybe he thought this was a bye week:cool:

3. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Did the watch Quincy Carter earlier today? He was god-awful. He ended up with 2 INTs, I think, but should have had 5. He got lucky a couple of times, and he really didn't make any particularly good plays, save one scramble early in the game.

4. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Nice pass by O'Donnell, only problem is Zach plays for the Dolphins.

5. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

"Err" McNair

6. Steve_Francis_rules

The guy completed 62.6% of his passes last year. I would say that's pretty accurate.

7. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

Plus, in college (where that nickname was popularized), he had monster passing numbers. That and the rhyming pattern naturally suggested such a nickname.

8. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Francis Rules-Uh, it's really easy to throw 63% when half of your passes go to RB's and TE's.

The guy is not a very good passer. Admit that.

9. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

I know that. I also know the Japanese just bombed Pearl Harbor.

Keep in mind that this guy was supposed to be the next Warren Moon. What an insult to Moon.

10. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

Oh com'on. You know good and well that the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor. Didn't you see Animal House?

11. Tolpatcsh Verkinder

Quincy Carter is much, much worse than McNair. And McNair only looks so bad because the Titans offense doesn't play to his strengths.

And another thing, wasn't Nedney supposed to better than Del Greco?

12. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nedney just didn't have enough pressure on him. ;)

13. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

I was tempted to say it, but I held back.

;)

14. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

we've been hearing this for six years now. think there might be a reason they're not playing to mcnair's "strengths?" i mean, do the titans line eddie george up at receiver or use him as a blocking back?

believe me, if mcnair had any strengths, they'd be playing to them -- he's a very limited passer (and please take note: i said passer).

to whomever said it: i've never heard him compared to moon. outside of being black and having once played for the oilers, their games have never been similiar.

15. Elvis Costello

The main difference between Moon and McNair: McNair got his team in a Super Bowl

16. Dream34

Dream34 Contributing Member

The Titans flat out sucked last night. Steve looked horrible last night as did the entire team. The receivers were open and did a good job but Steve was throwing so far over their heads it was not funny. I can't tell you how sick to the stomach I am feeling right now. I am really disappointed as I expected much more from this team.

I have to give credit to the Dolphins who spanked the Titans in their own house. I mean the Dolphins won every aspect of the game last night. Special teams, offense, defense, coaching. You name it and the Dolphins did it right. The Dolphins at this point look like one of the AFC favorites to go to the Superbowl. Along with the Raiders, and Ravens. The Titans. Well from last nights showing they have a long ways to go.

I know this is only the first game of a long season but as a diehard Titans fan I can tell you there are numerous areas that the Titans have to work on improving. First and foremost we need to bench Deron "Toast" Jenkins. The man sucks as he was getting burned time and time again. To make matters worse they lost their backup cornerback Dainon Sydeny for the year with an ACL.

Last nights performance was disgusting to watch.

I am very concerned regarding the status of McNairs health. Going back to this offseason he had major shoulder problems and I think he has yet to fully recover. Last nights injury only seemed to worsen the situation.

Will keep the faith that the Titans can turn it around this season. The Titans have a lot of work to do...

17. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

McNair didn't hit a guy in the chest until the third quarter. Dump-offs to Wycheck and George really helped to elevate his completion percentage last year.

If he doesn't really improve his vertical passing game, I think the Titans need to make his job insecure. I'd love to hear what Yancey Thigpen and Carl Pickens (based on their pro experience) have to say about his throwing.

Nedney's missed extra point was a timing problem caused by a bad snap-- a.k.a. "hitch in the step." Did you see him nail that ~51 yard FG?!!

18. PhiSlammaJamma

Not only has he gotten to the superbowl, he damn near won it on courage alone. He has the third best winning percentage of active QB's at 43-22. And you question him? How stupid is that. The guy win's football games. Did you not see the monsoon last night? What are you thinking... So he missed a few Wide Receivers to open the game. The Dolphins have the best DB's in the game and it's better to be safe than sorry, a la O'Donnell.

19. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

Was Fiedler playing in the same monsoon? I saw him hit his wideouts with a pretty good regularity. Funny game.

Football is a team game and no one individual is responsible for every outcome; I'm fairly criticizing McNair's performance. Do you see him as beyond reproach?

Tell us about the good things he did last night?

Teams that rely exclusively upon the running game and defense barely float. We have to have some kind of vertical passing game to take the pressure off of George and the D.

I think that is SMART. Sorry if I've criticized one of your heroes...

20. Timing

Timing Member

McNair would have won the Super Bowl if he could hit a wide open receiver every once in a while. I was surprised that nobody said anything about how McNair was consistently missing wide open guys in the Super Bowl. I guess people get infatuated with his running ability and forget that a quarterback is supposed to be able to hit receivers.