1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    GAME 7 ORLANDO vs CLEVELAND. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

McHale's Amazing Play!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DarkRock, Feb 24, 2014.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

If Garcia is such a good free throw shooter then why is his percentage so underwhelming this year?

2. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

well now, i'm not sure if by 'year' you mean 2014 this time or thus far in the 2013-14 season ;)

if it's the latter then obviously nobody knows the exact circumstance for making him miss A COUPLE more out of 17 total attempts this season than what one would normally expect for him based on his long career of shooting 80% FT shooting thus far.

now regarding dmo, he's shooting at the same 60% clip he also shot last season and we have a much larger 100+ FT attempt sample size between both seasons to judge that by.

all in all, it doesn't take jtr or his bud morey with a sophisticated statistical analysis team to figure out that garcia is the guy u should have at the line.

and btw, what about the numerous other points made in this thread about mchale's decisions in this game? for example, why does he get a free pass from his apologist crew for not even being able to draw up a basic play to get the ball into one of his three guards who were on the floor? we had 4 rocket players standing in cement after chandler was ready to inbound...

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I didn't see the game so I cannot comment on any particular play. Also, how does anyone know whether or not he drew up or called a play? I always find it interesting that coaches even need to actually 'draw' up a play during a game unless there is something unexpected that a team is doing. How hard can it be for the players to know what to do in most any given situation? You essentially match up with the other team's players, make an assumption on who they may try to deny the pass and run your picks and screens to get a player open.

I read where someone said Lin was just standing in the corner in poor position to receive a pass. That being the case, I can't imagine McHale saying "Jeremy, stand over there and don't move".

Regardless, we know for a fact that whatever decisions he made seemed to work since they won the game. Had he made a different (in your mind - correct) decision, they may have lost the game. For all we know had Garcia been in there instead of DMo, he would have clanked two free throws and failed to defend the player that made the winning basket. We don't know what would have happened. The only factual evidence that we have to go on, is that with 14 seconds left, he left DMo in the game and he made two free throws to help clinch a victory.

4. DarkRock

DarkRock Rookie

I made this thread because we WON:
    - After Parsons was unable to inbound the ball again.
    - After the ball went to the worst possible FT player.
    - After DMo a, 60% FT shooter, made the 2 FTs.

I know McHale didn't tell Parsons to pass the ball to DMo but it did end up with him. Why do we fail so much at inbounding the ball under pressure? McHale said he had DMo in to prevent the Suns from switching everything but yet we still can't inbound the ball properly?

When I made this thread I was having a bit of light hearted fun knowing that we won after a series of fails. The basketball god must be smiling upon us when DMo made both FTs.

5. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Has anyone noticed that parsons is actually not a great option to inbound the ball. He's always having trouble in clutch moments, has had to call timeouts several times and has had five second violations called on him. It may be because the players aren't moving but I really think we should look into other options

6. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i did see the game. the 2nd and 3rd quarters were a turnover fest for us because the offense is just random chaos, running around in circles hoping to get a step on one of the defenders. and on the other end, as usual this team can never get the ball out of the hot hand on the perimeter for the other team so dragic just went crazy with 3's. shades of ariza, etc. every team seems to have a perimeter player get their career high against us this year.

lin, harden, and bev were all in poor position or no position to receive a pass. if all 3 of them were stationary, i'd have to think they were just following the coaching staff's instructions.

garcia could have missed both yes. but like i said 29 other coaches would likely bet on garcia making 2 before depending on dmo. it didn't bite mchale in the ass this time, but we have indeed lost games this season already due to his blunders. and garcia would have been subbed out because phoenix was going to use their timeout regardless.

as another posted here already, yet again mchale opted not to foul when up by 3. dragic got a clean look behind the arc and we were lucky to win this game. as an oldtimer yourself, i'm sure you remember that rudy would never take the chance of letting the opposing team get up a 3, he would always have our players intentionally foul instead. and we have already lost at least a couple games this season doing it mchale's way...

7. nobie

nobie Member

Everyone forgets here, that Dmo himself sayed, he does much better in practice and was 75% FT shooter in europe. Dwight is shooting 55% his free throws, according to you guys Dmo is just as terrible as him, but thats not the case, Mchale knows it, his teammates knows it as well.

8. Apache

Apache Member

I think mchale is a nice guy but he's not an x and o's coach.

9. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Honestly I do not believe that was the thinking behind the inbound play. Perhaps I am over analyzing it. Was D-Mo in there because he and Howard are the only two players that could guarantee an open inbound pass option? Is Garcia like the other Rockets and could get their passing lanes cut off? D-Mo looked like a rock in there and is a better free throw shooter than Howard. Safety valve and last option?

10. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

the fact that none of the players moved and no screens were attempted to be set whatsoever, this might indicate that perhaps (gulp!) dmo was actually the first option…

i'm glad as heck he made them both and we won the game. but choosing him over harden/lin/bev in these situations is not going to yield good results over time. they need to work on some inbounds plays.

11. THE DR34M

THE DR34M Rookie

Definitely agree. Our inbound plays are shaky at best. This doesn't bode well for the finals when inbound plays become a high pressure point. In addition, I have no confidence in McHale and the coaching staff improving our inbound plays.

12. Nook

Nook Member

We barely won.

If Harden sits out the 5-7 minutes of the game, we may very well lose.

Further Harden got today off so it really did not matter.

I am for Harden and Howard and Parsons getting rest but not in this situation.

13. Nook

Nook Member

#1 Who the hell decided that Garcia is a "pure shooter"?

#2 Coming into the game "cold" is not easy for everyone, some players find it difficult and some do not. Neither you, nor I know if that is the case with Garcia.

#3 DMO hit his free throws and has hit them at a good clip in practice. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but he cannot have taken more than 50-60 free throws all year so his % is skewed.

14. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

what clip has he shot in practice? and is it better than dwight's 85-90% in practice? should we designate dwight as our go-to FT shooter to close out games?

also don't be so lazy to read on the same frickin page i already posted dmo's FT #'s…..he's shooting ~60% both last year and this year on 100+ attempts. i'd say he's clearly a 60% FT shooter sans any sort of skeweeeng.

15. Nook

Nook Member

#1 So DMO has shot roughly 100 free throws over the last 24 months? That is a small sample size.

#2 Howard is clearly a bad free throw shooter as he shoots as many in a month as DMO has in his entire career... nice attempt to divert the argument though.

#3 Your statement that DMO was the first option on the play is hilarious.

#4 If DMO being in the game at the end, and not a cold Francisco Garcia is your beef then you just need something to complain about. Lets not even go into the fact that DMO is a large target with a soft touch and hits his free throws in practice.

16. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

how do you know he hits his FT's in practice…..and for the 2nd time, at what clip does he hit those FT's?

dmo has a soft touch? please elaborate and please try to use quantifiable identifiable evidence to support this.

dmo's 100 FT attempts are too small a sample size? what about garcia's 762 FT attempts? is that big enough to say his 80% clip is legit?

the fact that our resident mchale apologist brigade will overlook, twist, and obfuscate his bumbling blunders to no end here but still mcfail at it in the end….is hilarious.

17. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

Coach Nick of BBallBreakdown pointed out this play of McHale also in his video posted in another thread.

I wish I knew how to include the link here.

18. leeaaron

leeaaron Member

Yo guys offtopic. Do any of you guys notice mchale showing some minor signs of alzheimer disease especially in his interviews?

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Coach Nick agrees with me. :)

8:30
    VVV

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/iJ3LSj6RtCY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>