1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McHale misses Asik

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Oct 15, 2014.

1. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Simple: he need to keep answers like that simple, instead of going on and on, and he needs to know the most important fact: his key audience is his own team. His present team of players. They are listening to everything their coach says in the media.

2. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Congratulations on being a "winner," Dude! And yet you are rooting for the same team as I. . . .

And I am happy with the team. And you are not.

3. YallMean

YallMean Member

He did not want to play in Houston behind DH. That's that. Is that a Jab to guys still on this team. I don't understand it.

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The video from which the quotes come lasts 80 seconds, and this includes 3 questions being asked and answered. Not sure what your definition of "going on and on" is but this does not seem to be any longer than what most NBA coaches say in addressing media questions.

And I am not sure which part of his answers would be something that we don't want current Rockets player to hear. He praised Asik for knowing his strengths and weaknesses and finding ways to help the team when he doesn't have the ball. Are these not messages that we want current Rockets to hear?

5. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Asik is no longer a Rocket. What he said basically will only add lower self-esteem to the team. As if he won't fully commit to bringing out the best of the squad because Asik is not on the roster. Even when MJ left the Bulls, none on their then coaching staff said they missed Mike nor any of the players of 1998-99 season. It's unprofessional to say that for a reason as a coach or representative of the current team.

6. B-Bob

We have a different take about a very subjective subject. (shrug)

He did not give a simple answer, to my ears, and given the *context* (the history of complaining I noted above), it makes some of us sensitive to him praising players he doesn't have more than players he does have.

But whatever. Not a big deal to me. I just don't like our coach very much. I like his sense of humor, and that he helped us snare Dwight, so maybe I should just focus on those things.

EDIT: I'm a science prof. We lost a technician this year. I have had students in my classes ask if we miss him, and I've been within earshot of the new technician. Do I go on and on about the person who moved on? No. Don't consider it very professional. I say something very nice about the guy who left, and then I mention what a great hire we made to replace him. I know it's apples and oranges to the NBA, but it's where I'm coming from.

7. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

He may be limited in some ways but still a very good commodity. I saw many unwarranted touch foul calls in favor of Aldridge. This team would be better with a committed Asik on the squad.

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The team plays games-- lots of them. The players' self-esteem will be determined by how they perform in these games. McHale can praise Dorsey or Black or Adrien or Jones or DMo to high heavens to the New Orleans media but if they get killed on the court, it isn't going to do much for their self-esteem.

I don't see anything wrong with challenging the new and young guys to fill a void left by a capable player. The team does need somebody to fill that role and the candidates have not proven that they can do so yet.

9. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

McHale could have said something like "he was spot on for us" and then stated what he did. I've never heard of a coaching staff actually say this miss a traded active player to the media the way McHale did. Have you? It doesn't happen for a reason. Think about it.

10. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

And Carl, I'm not arguing with you whether Omer Asik was a solid starting C or not because he obviously is. I miss him and I can say that to the media because I have nothing to do with the Rox organization other than being a fan.

11. jedicro

jedicro Member

What is this history? The only example I know of is the comment about flexibility not scoring baskets or getting rebounds. We will probably disagree on this, but after a very disappointing offseason I didn't think those comments were out of bounds.

McHale, move on. Say something positive about the team we have. Lead, inspire, coach. [/QUOTE]

What does this mean in the context of being asked questions by the New Orleans media about Omer Asik? Does he need to plug DMO in that interview? Does he need to answer every question in two words because they're "the enemy" or something? I seriously doubt any player on the Rockets was offended or demoralized by him saying that Asik, a guy i bet they all hold in pretty high esteem, is pretty good. More importantly, the things he is inferring guys like DMO need to be better at by praising Asik is things he is directly telling them in practice. See: DMO citing emphasis on being a better rebounder/defender.

And please, he didn't go on and on. It was 3 questions, 3 answers, in 80 seconds.

Daryl Morey was asked in a reddit AMA who the best competitor in the league is. His answer? Luis Scola...who he had just traded!! Was Kyle Lowry upset about this? Did Kevin Martin throw feel slighted? I seriously doubt it.

12. B-Bob

I agree with you. Sports cliches are there for a good reason.

"Omer is a great player who plays to his strengths, which are enormous. He's a warrior in the paint, and it's not fun to play against him. But we are blessed to have Dwight, the best big in the game today, and we have some hungry young guys in here fighting to back him up. I see a lot of energy in our practices, and I like it."

13. jedicro

jedicro Member

So you're mad at McHale for being honest. You would prefer he be a politician?

I'm at work so I can't do a thorough search, but I'm willing to bet there are plenty examples of coaches/management praising former players.

14. B-Bob

calm down. you care more than I do. Milkhair is the best public speaker in the history of the NBA -- you win. Now skip your next cup of coffee. Sheesh.

(But I still think he's lame, and he's definitely said negative things about the roster more than once. Since we're not in a court of law, and this whole topic is silly, I am not going to look it up for you. So you win AGAIN. Go!)

15. jedicro

jedicro Member

WOO HOO!

16. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

McHale has no cred as a coach so he should at least work on being a decent PR guy. He needs to be less concerned with former players and more concerned with actually developing a big man (we have a few talented ones) or better yet, he should work on not getting completely blown out of the water by a mediocre opposing coach in the playoffs. At the very least, he should stop getting caught on national TV sitting on the bench during playoff games conversing with his assistant coaches about how clueless he is.

17. alethios

alethios Member

I agree with the statement in quotes. You never publicly disparage the team, co-workers, subordinates, etc. in front of others, especially not the media. You praise their strengths and deal with their weaknesses out of earshot or in a learning environment, such as the practice court in this case.

18. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I guess it would be harder to do that if no one was brought in to replace the guy who left.

19. hooroo

hooroo Member

mchale still can't win against his haters they'll just twist it into a backhanded slap towards the traded player.

all coaches heap praises on traded players on their homecoming night.

20. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

We all know this thread would be exactly the same if McHale said "No, we don't miss Omer."