1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McHale misses Asik

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Oct 15, 2014.

1. cbk41

cbk41 Member

The facts of Asik not suiting up for a large portion of the year on a team with Championship aspirations wrote the narrative that Asik let his ego get the best of him and wasn't much of an asset last season outside of the pick he eventually garnered.

I love the dude's game and his hustle, and wished the TT could have been something to behold, but his attitude was a damper on the team.

2. Wommy

Wommy Member

Why yall getting upset at coach for saying that's true lol

3. rcketsfan1

rcketsfan1 Member

I will miss Omer because is was a very good defender, but we have Dwight Howarrd now.

4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Statements like this lead to lower team morale. The head coach needs to rally the players, instead of getting disheartened.

5. Chamillionaire

They are pretty talented. They have players at all positions. I'd go as far as to say they might have more "talent" than us.

Bev < Holiday
    Harden > Gordon
    Ariza = Evans (Personally, I'd rather have Ariza.)
    Jones / DMo < Davis / Anderson
    Howard > Omer / Ajinca

They probably have a better bench than us and a better coach. The only reason we're better would be if Howard and Harden take another step forward and absolutely dominate which I believe they will this year.

6. hahachui

hahachui Member

I miss Omer too.
    He is Dwight Howard without post up game.

If Dwight doesn't post up, he will be a better player.

7. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Usually happens with every coach actually. The simpletons come out with their pitchforks and there's nothing that can be done to stop them. They want change, by golly, and they won't stop until they get it.

8. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

mchale's apologist brigade here is so helplessly impotent to defend his pathetic coaching performance with any logical points that they are always left with no possible reply other than to attack his critics personally with names and badgering :grin:

9. Solaris

Solaris Member

Mchale doing ok this year. We only lost because Dwight and Harden didn't play.

10. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Where I come from, people don't b**** about their team all the time. But that's back east, where people are hardcore fans.

11. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

so should i buy a case of clos vougeot 2015 vintage or will 2016 end up being a betta year? :grin:

12. jedicro

jedicro Member

There is a difference between being a McHale apologist, and not having a pitchfork on standby waiting for the next hot topic to rage about.

I don't think he's the best coach and I think there is a strong chance this is his last year here. However, the armchair coaching that goes on here largely ignores the things that have been done well, and criticizes him for really stupid things that are completely irrelevant to his coaching.

For example, Reporter: "coach how will you guys miss Asik" mchale: "we'll definitely miss Asik. He's a great player who knows who he is etc." Clutchfans: "OMG HOW ABOUT YOU GO DRAW UP PLAYS MCFAIL AMIRITE?!"

lol welcome to the internet :p

1 person likes this.
  13. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

People who need championships to be happy=unhappy people.

14. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

patience may simply be running out with many here puzzled why another season should needlessly be squandered while dwight's window's getting smaller.

15. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

People who are happy with being one and out and being embarassed in the 1st round of the playoffs with HCA = People with low expectations and loser mentality in life

16. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

mike woodson was universally loved & cherished by the NYC hardcores?

how so poetic; i guess you could say the opposite of that is ignorance=bliss? :grin:

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

What do the folks here angry at McHale for saying what he said about Asik want him to do when asked these Asik questions by New Orleans media?

Coaches are required to talk to the media before and after games. So, no, a coach can't exactly just decide to not talk to the media so he can spend the time drawing up plays or doing anything else. Most coaches likely prefer not having the media duty, but the NBA rules mandate that they do.

Also, questions about ex-players are almost guaranteed to come up from the local media members when your team plays the player's new team. They are looking to fill their papers/websites/TV show/radio program with content and profiling a new player with comments from his ex-coach is one pretty easy way to make an article or show segment.

Coaches are going to almost always be gracious about it. When you are out recruiting free agents in the future, you don't want to be accused of having thrown an ex-player under the bus.

18. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

^^^^ If McHale can somehow get his act together and has complete authority to coach while be able to control star players from making other arrangements in games I'm okay if he stays. But he clearly doesn't have control as illustrated by the .8 fumble to end last season.

19. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

To be fair, there's context. McHale has a history of whining about the hand he's been dealt by management. I actually think that's (1) unprofessional, just as a business-person, and (2) totally inappropriate, and potentially quite negative, for a would-be leader of the remaining players.

So, given that context, and that he did NOT simply say "we'll definitely miss Asik," but rather gave an extended soliloquy on how freaking amazing he is and oh how lucky for the Pelicans, etc, etc.... I for one don't blame Rockets fans for rolling their eyes at Milkhair or even lobbing some internet insults his way.

So, Clutchfans is really saying, in general: McHale, move on. Say something positive about the team we have. Lead, inspire, coach. Pretty simple.

I am hopeful for this season of coaching b/c hopefully Dunn will take over most defensive work. I'll admit, I've never been a big fan of McHale as a head coach. But I'll hope for the best this year.

20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

It is fine to have this opinion. But what does it have to do with his comments on Asik?