1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McGrady To Houston Thread (Update: Francis will visit Orlando)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by fa7999, Jun 21, 2004.

1. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

I think we can all agree that Smith is a moron.

2. pariah

pariah Contributing Member

If I lose my access today to the BBS, I'm firing an IT guy (or two).

3. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

Interesting, Chad Ford says our deal is 'terrible'. And S.Smith says we are giving up too much......hm......:confused:

4. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

that guy is a ball hawg - I'll stick with the PFs

5. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

6. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

from what i gather it seems that this deal with go down barring some major breakdown in negotiations. Sure there could be other teams out there but it seems like its too little too late.

7. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

No way are the Rockets better with T-Mac and Yao rather than Steve,Cuttino and Yao. If people thought Steve shot the ball too much what will they say when McGrady gets here?? And who will run the point? Tyrone Lue? Reece Gaines? Give me a break. Keep your top 3 players and tweak the roster a bit and head into next season with a winning attitude.

8. today

today Contributing Member

I was thinking the exact same thing.

9. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

My problem with the report here by ESPN News is they credited the Houston Chronicle with deal news and that it could happen as soon as today. The Chronicle report from a day or two ago saying something could happen by Wednesday? That's old and was late news (Orlando Sentinel had it the day before, as posted on the board). Has the Chronicle offered something new now? I don't see anything on their website.

They then went to Stephen A. Smith, who said just Francis is not too much to give up, but Francis-Mobley-Cato IS too much to give up for McGrady. Said he spoke to Orlando GM last night and that yes, he has talked with the Rockets, but he's talking to many teams and "nothing is imminent".

So where did ESPN News get that this may happen today? I don't doubt that the Rockets will ultimately get him, but it didn't seem to me they had any substance in their report to make the claim.

10. Kyrodis

Kyrodis Contributing Member

IMO, that's where the problem lies. If we had been contenders this year, I would agree with you. However from what we've seen so far, these three guys as a core can't get us very far. I think it's time we shook up our core and tried something new.

11. ChenZhen

ChenZhen Contributing Member

Unless Stevie and Cat improves drastically, do you really think we can get to that next level with Cat, Stevie and Yao as our core?

12. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

well... T-mac can make an open jump shot (and really hit the 3)

but - as for Lue et al - I agree with you wholeheartedly

13. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

Looks like the Orlando Magic folks are using ESPN ( and the evil Disney Empire) to get their hidden agenda out to the masses:)

14. HTownrocketfan

Well I'm wondering if it's more than a 3way trade??? I think the Lakers are part of this somehow??

15. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

T-Mac and Yao may not be better than Yao, Steve, Mobley, and Cato.

T-Mac, Yao, Juwan Howard and Eric Snow/Brent Barry is certainly better than Yao, Steve, Mobley, and Cato.

16. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

Did Steve's winning attitude help the Patriots? Because it sure didn't help the Rockets.

17. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

:confused:

not sure where you got that from???

18. micah1j

micah1j Member

You have read too much into my post. I didn’t mean any of that.

19. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

dont worry. I thought you meant it as a joke also :cool:

20. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

You don't keep the same team if you just barely squeak into the playoffs then get beat 4-1. You think that's a championship team if they just 'stay together'? It'll take more than a little tweak in our situation. T-mac gives us better scoring and a taller more athletic defender for the perimeter. He can run the point when needed and with his height and three point shooting, he would be a perfect entry passer and shooter for Yao to play off of.

You can't say that about any of those players we traded.