1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McGrady - the next egotistical star...

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by LongTimeFan, Apr 29, 2002.

1. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...magicap042802.story?coll=orl-sports-headlines

I hated reading this bc of how much I loved McGrady..
    (here are some clippings)

--Not bad, he's becoming the vocal leader - although most promises back fire.

--No comment needed. Come on, be professional. That's just like a sore loser..

--He just ripped his team. I take it back, that's not being a leader. Atleast AI said he will look for his teammates. Tmac flat out says he doesn't have squat to work with.

--Now THAT'S a leader. It's sad to see Tmac fall so deeply in respect in my regards, but that was just pathetic.

CONCLUSION: Davis is a class act. Go Hornets!

2. outlaw

outlaw Member

TMac is a sore loser. In last year's 2-Ball competition at the All Star game, he dissed his partner Nykesha Sales in a similar fashion. She was standing right there next to him too!

3. Rocketability

Rocketability Member

I'm glad I never like that punk. :) Nothing for me to take back! HAHA!

4. Asian Sensation

As good as he is I always knew he was a punk ever since I saw him throw the ball at Bobby Jacksons head.

5. lpbman

lpbman Member

If winning was important to Tracy he'd still be in Toronto

well hope you're enjoying your very own "Spotlight" in Orlando

Still... he's right, Orlando sucks without Hill and Mcgrady

6. verse

verse Contributing Member

tracy mcgrady is - hands down - the most talented player in the league. and he knows it. and he's 22 years old. and he DOESN'T have any help.

you might want to cut the guy some slack.

7. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

I agree - Tracy McGrady is the best offensive player in the league. He does not have the hype -David Stern machine working for him like Kobe does.

The guy is carrying that team on his back.

I respect Baron Davis very much, but he does have a lot more to work with. I see Baron crying more than McGrady....

8. Major

Major Member

``If you look at Baron's team, and you look at my team, then you'll understand he has a lot of help,'' McGrady said. ``He has guys that can score, he has guys that can rebound on a night-to-night basis.

What a jackass.

9. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

may not be pc, but everything Tmac said is correct.

- he damn well better think he will win game 4 if he wants to keep playing

- he is a better player than Baron

- his team does suck. Mike Miller is decent, Armstrong is decent, and then what? Another guard spark off the bench in Hudson and a jump shooting Garrity. Their froncourt sucks ass. And it's a mystery as to who will actually step up and give McGrady help on a game to game basis.

10. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So what if what he said was true? There are lots of things he could say that are true that he shouldn't. Just because Davis has a little more help than McGrady (and without Mash, it is indeed a LITTLE more) doesn't mean his own teamates want to read in the paper that their leader is basically saying they are crap. Being a leader means saying the right things, sometimes even if they aren't true.

By the way, maybe Tracy has a bigger penis than some of his teamates. But we can't blame him if he wants to discuss that to the press, because, after all, it's TRUE! Some things shouldn't be said, and if McGrady wants to keep any of his teamates respect, he better shut his mouth next time.

11. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Just because Davis has a little more help than McGrady (and without Mash, it is indeed a LITTLE more)

BS, even without Mash, Baron still has a lot more to work with than McGrady.

doesn't mean his own teamates want to read in the paper that their leader is basically saying they are crap. Being a leader means saying the right things, sometimes even if they aren't true.

I agree with what you say to a certain extent, but he shouldn't have to coddle them either, they're professionals, not HS sophmores. EVERYONE knows that Tmac is basically a one man show on that team, and if they don't realize that, then they need to wake up.

By the way, maybe Tracy has a bigger penis than some of his teamates. But we can't blame him if he wants to discuss that to the press, because, after all, it's TRUE! Some things shouldn't be said, and if McGrady wants to keep any of his teamates respect, he better shut his mouth next time.

and from way out in left field. bad analogy, and has nothing to do with the subject at hand.

12. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

He's also good on D.

BTW I agree that Stern overhypes Kobe. Before anyone labels me a Kobe-Hater just think for a moment. If Tracy McGrady were playing on the lakers, you don't think he'd be hailed as the best in the game?

13. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Everyone may know it...everyone may not. My problem is that, if Tracy really wants to be a leader for his team, he needs to start being smarter to the press. By commenting on how the surrounding talent for Baron is so much better than his own, he has nothing to gain, and plenty to lose if one of his teamates takes it the wrong way and holds it against him.

It is relevant in that it would be discussing a subject to the press that gains him nothing while possibly offending his teamates. While the "left field" statement was quite convincing, perhaps you do me a favor and explain why this analogy is bad instead of just stating it.

And as far as the surrounding talent...Baron has Elden Cambell, Lee Nailon (who has not done much this playoffs) and David Wesley. PJ Brown is not much better than Horace Grant. Armstrong is better than Wesley. Mike Miller (15 points, 4.3 reb in the playoffs) is worse than Lee Nailon (8 points and 2 reb this playoffs), but not really by that much overall, and certainly not in playoff stats. Troy Hudson is a good backup to bring off the bench. Tracy has PLENTY to work with, and the Hornets edge is not nearly that big.

14. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

I can't believe you guys are defending him...

I didn't say he wasn't a star, but come on. The Magic aren't going anywhere with him. I'll say that right now. Any guy who claims to be the one-man show and bashes his teammates, won't go ANYWHERE.

I agreed with you here..

Things you shouldn't say after giving up a triple double: see above.
    --I don't care who you are, nobody goes out and says 'ya you're not that great, I'm still better even if you whipped me'

--once again, you DON'T TELL THE MEDIA THIS. That isn't motivation, that's just bashing. I'd expect to see the Magic lose the next game. I wouldn't want to play for a team where the leader vocally criticizes my whole team and says he's all we got. That's bull****, and you know it.

Oh and in case you haven't been watching T-mac, Baron Davis was clutch, where have you been?

15. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Ewing needs to smack that cross-eyed schmuck upside his triangle shaped head!

16. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Amen.

Monkeyface (no, I don't mean it in a racist way, there are monkeyfaces of all colours, to get that out of the way) against sore, classless loser.

No matter how much talent you have, you don't rip your own team like that. I am rooting for Baron and his Hornets now in that series.

And I don't think he is the best offensive player in the league either. Superbly talented, yes. But best offensive? Show me more.

P.S.: I thought the penis analogy was funny as well as fitting. But I don't think it's true - perhaps fromobile could clear things up, he seems to have knowledge on this subject (at least about Willis...) ;).

17. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

# of wins for Orlando before McGrady: 41
    # of wins for Orlando in his first year: 43
    # of wins for Orlando in his second year: 44

The team has been only marginally better since McGrady joined. His impact has been negligible.

18. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

T-Mac is a phenom in terms of talent, no question.

But sorry, what he is showing is not leadership. Leadership is playing center if need be to win a championship (Magic). Leadership is even if you supporting cast is sucking (Pippen and Kukoc awal around 97) you suck it up extra to keep the team as focused as possible tp get the job done (Jordan).

It is really funny because I never cared for MJ's personality, but I guess in hindsight he could have been a ton worse. MJ is twice the player T-Mac is and didn't pull that crap in the media or scapegoating his players. You don't hear Iverson or Shaq or Duncan or KG doing it either even those times they didn't have much to work with. Do you think T-Mac's teammates will feel like protecting his arrogant me-first butt after opponents foul him hard?

If all you care about is an individual's production T-Mac may be your man the next decade, but if you are looking for a winner and a leader, all signs are look elsewhere. A brilliant playing immature dumbass loser is all he is right now. He might might want to save his talk until he actually wins a playoff series in a weak conference, let alone advance a little bit farther or heaven forbid he actually wins a championship.

19. Rocketability

Rocketability Member

Here is a follow-up article on what the Hornets have to say about TMac's comments.

I happened to agree with PJ Brown. :cool:

20. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

I always thought T-Mac was a pretty silent guy, never said much, but seeing some of those comments are just ridiculous, i guess i should of expected that since hes one of the top players in the leauge and hes only 22 years old, hopefully he matures and sometime soon, and works to make his team better.