1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McCullers Jr. - Elbow Discomfort

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by CheezeyBoy22, Aug 4, 2018.

1. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Figured it might be best to open a new thread to post any updates we might get here.

2. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

DIdn't McCullers say he would endorse HEB if the money was right? I haven't been watching baseball long, but is the HEB curse a real thing?

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  3. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

I don't think he can pitch a whole year as a SP. I could be wrong though.

4. htownbball

htownbball Member

If he goes on the DL who takes the spot? McHugh and call up Josh James? Cionel because McHugh may not be stretched out and we still bring up James? Maybe Armenteros comes up?

5. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

No if about it my man, it’s when he goes to the dL.
    And my bet is tomorrow he’s on the DL. They needed to send someone out or down before they activate Osuna, and there’s now no need to put Perez on the plane so they can play coy with LMJ when you absolutely know beyond a shadow of a doubt he’s missing at least one start.
    They might try to bring a guy up from Fresno that’s stretched out but my guess is Peacock slides into the rotation in LMJ’s spot and Osuna replaces his roster spot. Then when Devo gets healthy Perez back to AAA. It actually solves a roster crunch problem they were going to have to deal with where Devo was literally the only guy who could get sent down that was probably going to lead to rotating DL stints until 40 man callup time.

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

With all of the off days they have coming up it doesn’t look like they need another starter until the week of the 20th.

Snake Diggit and Mr.Pringles like this.
  8. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

9. texans1095

texans1095 Member

This actually gives me some hope. I know that forearm soreness and tightness can be a bad sign but hopefully it’s more of a strain or fatigue compared to something meriting TJ.

10. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

I remember a Doctor in the media said one time about Johan Santana during he played with the Mets, Johan had bone chips removed from his elbow, the Doctor said it meant down the line he is going to have Tommy John Surgery, the next year Johan had Tommy John Surgery.
    It is better to put Lance on the 60 day DL. Hopefully he is fine. Astros have protected Lance since his Rookie Year by not over pitching him. Let him rest and then pitch from the bullpen in the Postseason hopefully. Astros need him in the postseason. Astros have so much depth it's been amazing. I think Collin deserves to start again.

11. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

There’s obviously that too. But I think they will start Peacock in his spot regardless. I don’t think they will want to put massive innings on all the starters.

The Beard likes this.
  12. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Would think McHugh with James or Deetz coming up

13. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I think Peacock will take the rotation spot, and they will probably try not to use C Perez until Peacock pitches in case Peacock can only go 4 innings.

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  14. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Agree with those saying Peacock

Brad was just as good as a starter as he was in the pen last year while McHugh has been absolutely dominant in his relief role. Also seeing them use Brad for multiple innings tonight and then McHugh for the 7th should give some insight

Also don’t think they just skip the spot, I bet they would prefer to lessen the load on the others with those days off and as others mentioned, there is a roster crunch starting today where someone would have to go down anyway

Just hope Lance is ok

HTown2017Champs and texans1095 like this.
  15. Buck Turgidson

That's what Hinch's plan was, basically he said it was like having a 6 man rotation. We'll see. If anyone catches Luhnow's pregame Sunday interview, let us know if he says anything.

Forearm tightness/discomfort is one of the major symptoms of a UCL injury. Sometimes rest can help.

HTown2017Champs and texans1095 like this.
  16. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

I guess we really won't know until Monday on his status. I know we have depth but I'm for sure a nervous nelly about the postseason.

17. CinematicFusion

Huge loss if McCullers is done for the year.
    Best case is he just needs to shut down for some time.
    Take August off and then get him back in condition during September for the playoff run.

Not much time to heal before playoffs if it’s anything more serious.

In 2016 he had elbow discomfort in August and was out for the season. Astros didn’t make playoffs that year, unknown if he would have been ready for the playoffs.

18. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

If this is the injury we all fear, it's more of a concern for the future than for this season. You never want to lose a weapon, but even without him we still have more than enough pitching. We would basically be bringing back the same pitchers that won it all last season, with Cole replacing LMJ, McHugh more comfortable in his role, and a bullpen that couldn't possibly be worse.

The 5th starter is a regular season need, and 70% of the regular season is done. Plus Peacock is more than adequate, and getting him back into a groove may be a silver lining in this.

Hopefully it's not serious and a little rest will do the trick.

19. CrazyJoeDavola

IIRC, McHugh had same issue (forearm tightness/fatugue) to start last season and didn't have to have surgery but was out for 2 to 3 months

20. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Even with a stone cold normal MRI, you figure that lance will be sitting until early September at least. Extreme kid gloves with that guy.