1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Max Stassi?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by CheezeyBoy22, Dec 22, 2013.

1. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm in California for a week and a half because my grandfather started radiation this week. I went to his first appointment and was meeting with his radiology nurses. One of the nurses was asking me which part of Texas I was from and I explained I'm from Houston. So it turns out my grandfather's nurse is Max Stassi's mother. I felt awful because she said well he was hit in the face by a ball.

Is this guy any good? I know he was suppose to be Jason Castro's back up. I'm just curious.

2. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

He had a cup of coffee with the Astros last season before getting hit in the face(he's okay), but he's really still a minor league prospect. Carlos Corporan is Castro's backup right now, and unless Stassi kills it in Spring Training he'll almost certainly start in AAA.

Stassi had a breakout offensive year last season in the minors. He is a good defensive guy, and has shown sign that he can be a good catcher in the big leagues.

3. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

What about Carlos Perez?

4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

They're catchers, catchers usually split time anyhow. Stassi will also get some DH looks. The 2 could actually be fighting each other for the 1st call up. Perez appears to be a slightly better glove, but hasn't shown near the offensive upside Stassi has.

The Astros also have 2 catchers in AA (Rene Garcia,Tyler Heineman) who project as MLB catchers, although both as backups.

Stassi is the only one of the bunch that appears to have the potential to be a starter in the show.

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Good luck to your grandfather.

1 person likes this.
  6. Granville

Granville Member

Good luck to you Grandfather and props to you for getting involved in his treatments.

1 person likes this.
  7. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

thank you guys for the kind words. I flew out to surprise him. He wasn't even aware that I was coming out.

Stassi's mother is very nice by the way. She works well with patients.

1 person likes this.
  8. kurkure

kurkure Rookie

Stassi had a breakout offensive year last season in the minors. He is a good defensive guy, and has shown sign that he can be a good catcher in the big leagues.