1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Marwin Gonzalez Appreciation Tread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Swiss Roll, Feb 22, 2019.

1. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

Marwin's got balls. I love his balls.

2. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

Keeping Marwin for 2022 is starting to make sense to me.

banzai and the shark like this.
  3. PhiSlammaJamma

My thought was it was great hit, it pushed the envelope, possibly won the series for us, but he swung first pitch when the pitcher was wild and out of control. As a sub .200 hitter his awareness was low. Should have taken a few pitches in such a big situation. That said, it was a strike, and you can't argue with the results. They were glorius.

#163 PhiSlammaJamma, Nov 1, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
  4. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

As soon as he signed I knew he was gonna basically suck until the WS then get at least one clutch hit. Wouldn’t surprise me at all if he hits a HR in Game 6.

Would love for Houston to sign him to a minors deal this offseason and stash him in Sugar Land until the 2022 playoffs.

rockbox likes this.
  5. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

He's still a pretty decent defensive utility guy. Someone that can plug anywhere without feeling that's its an error waiting to happen.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  6. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

My guess is that at this point he’d be a pretty poor defender at SS if he had to play there a lot, but I agree he is likely still a solid defensive option for 1B, 2B, 3B, RF, or LF. I wouldn’t hate it if they resigned him to be the 13th position player next year.

7. rockbox

We still have Diaz for SS but I wouldn't want Diaz there all year either. We either need to sign Correa, be very confident Pena can at least handle it defensively, or pay big money to one of the other SS free agents that is above average on defense.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

So far there’s a lot of evidence pointing to them believing Pena is the guy.

9. rockbox

His fielding grades are pretty damn good. He will probably never have the power or arm of Correa, but hopefully he can give us 80 percent of what Correa brings. Then we can spend big money somewhere else. If we can sign Correa, then maybe we eventually let Bregman walk in a few years.

NIKEstrad and Snake Diggit like this.
  10. Radricky

Radricky Member

My sweet prince Marwin

11. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

Seem silly but his most important role might be as an Altuve buddy with Correa leaving. That is an important function that I had not considered untill today. He would fit in as a versatile hitter / sixth infielder & fifth outfielder.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  12. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member