1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mark McGwire Steroid user...

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Castor27, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

As if we didn't already know this.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4816607

NEW YORK -- Mark McGwire finally came clean Monday, admitting he used steroids when he broke baseball's home run record in 1998.

McGwire said in a statement sent to The Associated Press on Monday that he used steroids on and off for nearly a decade.

"I wish I had never touched steroids," McGwire said in a statement. "It was foolish and it was a mistake. I truly apologize. Looking back, I wish I had never played during the steroid era."

McGwire also used human growth hormone, a person close to McGwire said, speaking on condition of anonymity because McGwire didn't include that detail in his statement.

McGwire's decision to admit using steroids was prompted by his decision to become hitting coach of the St. Louis Cardinals, his final big league team. Tony La Russa, McGwire's manager in Oakland and St. Louis, has been among McGwire's biggest supporters and thinks returning to the field can restore the former slugger's reputation.

"I never knew when, but I always knew this day would come," McGwire said. "It's time for me to talk about the past and to confirm what people have suspected."

He became the second major baseball star in less than a year to admit using illegal steroids, following the New York Yankees' Alex Rodriguez last February.

Others have been tainted but have denied knowingly using illegal drugs, including Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, Sammy Sosa and David Ortiz.

Bonds has been indicted on charges he made false statements to a federal grand jury and obstructed justice. Clemens is under investigation by a federal grand jury trying to determine whether he lied to a congressional committee.

"I'm sure people will wonder if I could have hit all those home runs had I never taken steroids," McGwire said. "I had good years when I didn't take any, and I had bad years when I didn't take any. I had good years when I took steroids, and I had bad years when I took steroids. But no matter what, I shouldn't have done it and for that I'm truly sorry."

Big Mac's reputation has been in tatters since March 17, 2005, when he refused to answer questions at a Congressional hearing. Instead, he repeatedly said "I'm not here to talk about the past" when asked whether he took illegal steroids when he hit a then-record 70 home runs in 1998 or at any other time.

"After all this time, I want to come clean," he said. "I was not in a position to do that five years ago in my congressional testimony, but now I feel an obligation to discuss this and to answer questions about it. I'll do that, and then I just want to help my team."

The person close to McGwire said McGwire made the decision not to answer questions at that hearing on the advice of his lawyers.

McGwire disappeared from the public eye following his retirement as a player following the 2001 season. When the Cardinals hired the 47-year-old as coach on Oct. 26, they said he would address questions before spring training, and Monday's statement broke his silence.

"I remember trying steroids very briefly in the 1989/1990 offseason and then after I was injured in 1993, I used steroids again," McGwire said in his statement. "I used them on occasion throughout the '90s, including during the 1998 season."

McGwire said he took steroids to get back on the field, sounding much like the Yankees' Andy Pettitte two years ago when he admitted using HGH.

"During the mid-'90s, I went on the DL seven times and missed 228 games over five years," McGwire said in the statement. "I experienced a lot of injuries, including a ribcage strain, a torn left heel muscle, a stress fracture of the left heel, and a torn right heel muscle. It was definitely a miserable bunch of years, and I told myself that steroids could help me recover faster. I thought they would help me heal and prevent injuries, too."

Since the congressional hearing, baseball owners and players toughened their drug program twice, increasing the penalty for a first steroids offense from 10 days to 50 games in November 2005 and strengthening the power of the independent administrator in April 2008, following the publication of the Mitchell Report.

"Baseball is really different now -- it's been cleaned up," McGwire said. "The commissioner and the players' association implemented testing and they cracked down, and I'm glad they did."

Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press

2. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

About time...regardless, 1998 was a freaking awesome summer of baseball.

3. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

good for him

4. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Does his decreasing chances of getting into the HOF play a part in McGwire coming clean now?

5. RocketMania1991

He must of misremembered and now he remembered.

6. RocketMania1991

There is still no way anyone that has admitted to taking steroids or come out and said they take steroids is making it into the HOF.

7. steddinotayto

Does your sentiment include Alex Rodriguez? Because, as much as I dislike him, he's going to get in.

8. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

not now. maybe down the road they will asterisk the whole damn era and let some of these guys in. i've always held the position that most of the great players used.

9. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I think he meant that since it looks like McGwire won't get into the HOF regardless of a confession, that that allows him to confess without fear of it affecting his HOF chances since he wasn't getting in anyway.

Regardless, he actually got a few more votes this year than he did last year.

10. Vinsanity

Vinsanity Contributing Member

Each time one of these guys comes out and admits their mistake, it makes Clemens look more and more like the douche he is.

11. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

About time. Glad he finally admitted to it.

He does deserve some credit...even though he and Sosa were cheating that season, the home run chase saved MLB and brought it back to being relevant.

After the Strike Season, MLB had lost a ton of fans (myself included). The home run chase made it exciting again and put MLB back in the spotlight.

Still, they all deserve an *

12. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Unlike Bonds and Clemens where you could actually make a legit case they belonged in the Hall before their obvious roid use, Big Mac just doesn't have the numbers pre-roids to even warrant a look. If he didn't come out then the media would have been on him everyday now that he is the Cards HC so this really doesn't have much to do with the Hall if at all.

13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Tipjar bet?

I'll be you $100 that Roger Clemens and Alex Rodriguez both make the HOF before the fall off of the ballot.

14. RocketMania1991

I don't think A-Rod will get in.

The people that do these votes have no sympathy for people who used steroids whatsoever no matter if they possess the greatest achievements ever.

The Hall of Fame in Baseball is such a sacred shrine, and full of names that are considered legends. To put someone who admitted to taking steroids in would go against everything that it stands for.

Mark was considered one of the most intimidating sluggers in the history of the game, and he has gotten no where near close to the percent required to get into the hall.

15. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Absolutely. Clemens is a laughingstock.

16. steddinotayto

Rookie of the Year
    12-Time All Star
    1 Gold Glove
    3 Silver Slugger Awards
    583 Home Runs

I agree he isn't even in the same stratosphere as a Red Sox Clemens or even a Pirates Bonds, but McGwire's numbers aren't bad.

17. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

There should be an * by every record he broke.

* This record was achieved with the help of performance enhancing drugs and should not be seen or misconstrued as an authentic tabulation of achievement.

18. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Take away his roid use and homeruns ....what else did he do ?

19. steddinotayto

If/when ARod breaks the career home run record, I would be stunned if Baseball HOF voters won't vote him in first-ballot. ARod's PR has done a great job of sweeping his PED usage under the rug the past year.

20. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Man Lands On Moon.