1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Last chance for the Phoenix Suns -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Manu vs Nachbar vs Jaric New Euro Talent

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Nikos, Jul 31, 2002.

1. Nikos

Nikos Member

All three players come from the Italian League and all can be solid NBA players if they reach their potential.

Manu just turned 25, Nachbar turned 22, and I beleive Jaric is 24.

We had a discussion before about the Euro's and Ginobili and Nachbar. Judging from the videos and games I think both Nachbar and Ginobili have great opportunities to become solid NBA players.

Heypartner mentioned Gino exposes the ball too much, and I noticed that he has a point in many of the Gino highlights I noticed. However, I feel Gino will adjust to this possible tendency to expose the ball a little too much and dribble it a little too high. I can't say that watching those highlights makes this guy determinant to be the next Shandon Anderson or worse. Personally I think Gino plays at a great speed and intensity, much greater than any Euro I have seen, including Nachbar and Jaric. I feel he can correct any of those negative tendencies like exposing the ball while practicing with one of the best defenders in the league in Bruce Bowen. I seen 2 of the Kinder vs Benneton games and I still feel Ginobili is clearly the better athlete than Nachbar and Jaric while still being solid 20 foot shooter and av average 3pt shooter by Euro standards.

Personally I don't know if he will be better than Nachbar, who also demonstrates great confidence, range, and athleticism. But as of now I'd say Ginobili is clearly the better athlete, yet Nachbar has the better deep range shot.

Nachbar seems like a tough, athletetic kid who can score deep and off the dribble (kind of like Turkoglu). But Hp mentioned he was 21, but he is exactly 2 years and 11 months younger than Manu, and Manu was 23 (almost 24) last year, and won the Italian MVP and the Euroleague MVP I beleive so as far as Heypartner comment on if Manu was so good why didnt he come to the USA years ago, I beleive Manu could have came last year and it he would have still been a better player than Nachbar is now at 22, so I don't buy that Nachbar is much younger and has a MUCH higher talent ceiling.

To be honest I think Nachbar deserves to get time this season to be able to grow as does Manu. I like the way both of these guys plays and I think they have the talent and confidence to do very well in this league if given the opportuinity.

As for Jaric, I would say his chances of making an impact next season are slim because of the clippers acqusition of Andre Miller.

I just wanted to point at the age difference of Nachbar and Gino and the fact that Gino was still a very good player last year, and could have easily played in the NBA as he is going to next season. And that basically I feel that Nachbar and Gino both have great potential if given time and opportunity to show their skills.

All my opinions aside, for those that know these players, how do you think they will pan out in the NBA?

2. drpepper

drpepper Member

I think all these players will pan out. I think Gino is the best right now, but if Boki can develop a consistent outside shot he'll surpass Gino. They both attack the basket fairly well, with Gino having the edge. Who'll shot better from the 3 will be my choice as the best. I also think since Boki is younger, he has the slight edge on improving more than Gino.

Jaric is a good player, just not at the level of the other 2.

3. mav3434

mav3434 Member

nikos, do you live in Europe or do you just follow euro basketball a lot? you sound like you know a lot about these guys.

What did you think about Tshkishisvili ?

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

This will definitely be a telling year of the Euroleagues. So far it has been mainly SFs coming in at a young age, to begin the career in the NBA early--Kirilenko drafted at age 18? and later entering the league at 21 is an exception. This is really the first time some prospects who were largely passed over at their eligibility age of 21yrs old start coming over.

For instance, guys like Tinsley come in at 23-24yrs old and Runner-Up in NCAA Player of the Year next to Battier, and got off to a quick start, but he seems to have been figured out quickly--that is, no shot, maybe leading to his assists dropping off to under 7pg after Rose left...and he was a non-factor in the playoffs (a lot of pine). He'll probably end up being a quality role-playing PG, maybe drop of as a bench player later, a taller Travis Best?? 38% shooting for a PG,,, woof.

I feel the league can't have too many shooters. There is always room for 6'9 or taller shooters, despite the fact Mirsad Turkcan (the reigning MVP of Euroleague) will never play in the NBA.

I think the big test is seeing how the SGs and PGs can do here. Not to disrespect Jesus Parker any, but he is only one PG (Nash was an NCAA player), and we haven't seen a SG start here for quite awhile (am I forgetting someone; was Drazen the last SG starter?), despite the fact that Dejan Bodiroga is widely regarded as the best player in Europe and in his prime, and he is a 6'8 all-round playmaker.

#4 heypartner, Jul 31, 2002
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2002
  5. Kayman

Kayman Contributing Member

what about Raul Lopes? Is he the real deal? And also, is it true that this Mehmet Okur guy is good?

6. heypartner

Drafted by Detroit 38th last year. He's 23yrs old and not putting up great numbers. Never seen him, but he's a teammate of Mirsad Turskcan at Efes Pilsen, and Mirsad is the MVP of the Euroleague and his teammate, so the apparent main-man of that team. Take that for what it is worth.

He's supposed to be a low post player...I wouldn't hold my breath on low post players from Europe.

7. Nikos

Nikos Member

Heypartner, how do you see each of these three guys doing in the NBA?

Personally I think Gino and Nachbar will do well. But from watching Gino games against Benneton I must say that I beleive he can adjust and his athleticism and skill is very unique for Euro standards. Also I beleive if he left for the Spurs last year after the age of 23, he still would close to the player he is now in terms of ACHEIVEMENTS on the Euro league and Italian league level because this season his teams were not as successful, and last season he had won all the awards and received all the accolades a Euro player could dream of. So I'm not particularly sold on the fact that guys like Nachbar, Kirelenko, or other Euro's will become better players because they are younger. I think if Steve Smith leaves the Spurs Manu will get the opportunity to play more and grow faster than guys like Nachbar, who might have to sit the bench if Griffin, MoT, and Rice all get time, and he might not develop to the present Ginobili (skill wise) until he is 24-25 years old.

Also they mention Gino has a streaky shot, but it seems to me his shot is very good out to 20 feet. I noticed against Benneton he had like 3 or 4 shots were he created a little space for himself and easily swished the long jumper with defense on him. He may not have 25 foot range like Peja, but I think he is a shooting threat and he can create easy 20ft jumpers for himself and knock them down with consistency. Whether or not it will work in the NBA is tough to determine.

FOR Heypartner and others who have seen these guys play:

I am wondering how you think these three will pan out based on what you have seen of them, and based on your knowledge of the teams in which they will be joining.

Also MAV34........I have not seen much of Tsika, he does not get much playing time on Benneton since he is very young at 19. Supposedly he has a lot of talent and is a DIRK type of player who can shoot and is 7 feet tall. I have not seen his skills been put to use so I cannot comment on him.

8. heypartner

Nikos....to me, you can't really compare Nach to Gino...they player different positions, right.

Gino has a really tough time playing SG in the NBA first year. We really have no precedence for that and how he will do.

Nach is protected as a bench player at a relatively unimportant position in the Rockets organization. Many rox fans might say how we love SFs and how we have wanted one (Pippen, Rice) but in fact, we have used this position less than others. We have few plays called explicitly for Rice or Walt, and I'd bet that is not changing first year with Nach.

I don't expect much from Nach other than what Rice can't bring. I suspect the Spurs will have different strategies for Bowen vs Gino.

Hopefully, injuries will not settle this debate....:)

9. The Sensei

The Sensei Contributing Member

Nice Euro coverage guys...

This thread reminds me of my days in highschool, when a bunch of my Japanese friends and I were shooting hoops at the Rockets court at Westside Tennis Club. It was the summer during the offseason shortly after we drafted that Mirsad Turkan guy. He was just shooting jumpers on one end of the court, while we were playing pick-up games as we often did on guest-free days.

So Mirsad walks over and interrupts are ballgame, and asks one of us "kids" to rebound for his @ss. I was well aware that he was drafted by the Rockets, so I obliged. But he had the audacity to act like a big-shot when he has yet to prove anything in the NBA level. Besides, we ran into many NBA stars at Westside (Shaq, Drexler, Horry, etc); Mirsad was no big deal...

Anyway, I ended up rebounding the ball for him for about 40 minutes, and I was pretty pissed about it near the end. I couldn't exactly tell him I had better things to do than to rebound for this guy, so I found the perfect escape route when he started macking on the power-dancer girl that was there working out. It was pretty funny stuff, but I gotta admit, Mirsad had some game (in macking, that is). Come to think of it, he was a pretty decent shooter, in practice anyway...

So I'm shooting around with my friends, and Mirsad calls me over AGAIN. I was like, "you gotta be kidding me". I wanted to tell him to go find a damn trainer, but he was acting like he was doing me a favor by demanding, so I went along with it. After about 20 more minutes of shooting and shooting and shooting, he finally called it quits and headed to the weight rooms. But before doing so, he took off his damp, sweat drenched Rockets T-shirt and gave it to me as if it was something of value. I was speachless. My Japanese friends laughed at me when I brought that stink rag back with me.
    That T-shirt, by the way, is stored in a bag, never to be opened again unless he blows up in the NBA and it demands any kind of value over 5 cents.

Euro-players rule! Go Nachbar!

10. Nikos

Nikos Member

As far as Bowen vs Gino situation goes, I hear the Spurs are pretty much getting rid of Steve Smith before this season starts. I don't know who they'll get in return, but Im pretty sure he will be gone. If thats the case, and the Spurs get a quality backup big man for him (or through trading Daniels), than maybe Gino gets more time, and gets to grow quicker than if Smith had stayed.