1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Manning to Broncos

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Marteen, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Asian Sensation

Not to knit pick but that 14-2 Chargers team was when LT had his best season EVER and set the single season Rushing TD record. He rushed for 1800+ Yards and had 28 rushing TDs. That's not so much Rivers but the O-line and LT.

Also during that stretch run when the Chargers were at the top of the division their defense has always been pretty good especially when Juicehead Merriman was playing lights out... and they made big plays on Special teams with Cromarte etc.

Rivers for as much of a "bad season" as he had last year he still threw for 4600 yards and completed 63% of his passes. I don't think Rivers or Turner are the problem in SD. What they need is more consistant offensive weapons that are durable. Gates ALWAYS has nagging injuries and can't finish a season without missing a few games. Ryan Mathews is probably one of the more talented RBs in the league yet he's undoubtedly one of the softest as well. Vincent Jackson when he was there could look like Jacoby Jones one game and Jerry Rice the next. Either way... losing him doesn't help their cause. Their defense and special teams has been suspect for the last few seasons and even if they do magically win their division and get a 1st round bye or secure HFA they'll probably end up choking.

The Broncos had a good team even with Tebow leading them and with Peyton as the QB they're instantly great. With Peytong leading them on 80+ yard drives and surgically picking apart opposing defenses ...Denver's D is going to be well rested and that's a scary thing. No more quick 3 and outs like when Tebow was running the show.

2. bloop

bloop Member

The Broncos weren't a good team. Sometimes you just win games. They beat several teams including the Jets who they clearly were not superior to.

Peyton is a great regular season QB and a average to superior playoff QB, Superbowls notwithstanding. Looking at his TD/INT ratio, wins etc.

It's likely that he next year he doesn't get them much further than Tebow did this year. Beyond that it's impossible to tell as you well know since so many pieces will be moved around by then

3. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

really? weaker than a division with: Arizona, St, Louis, Seattle?

If he goes to the with SF, he definitely has 6 wins, but with the broncos, he could lose one or two games.

In the NFC west, only two teams had a record over.500 in the last three years, and only two had over 10 wins in the last five seasons.
    In 2010 the division champ had a 7-9 record.

He went to Denver because of the money, he had a better chance to win the super bowl with SF.

4. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

It had nothing to do with money. Not only did peyton make money playing football but he made as much selling TVs and juice.

He has only played for one team his whole career. You can't just expect a guy to be able to walk into every lockeroom and be comfortable. He's coming off a big injury and missing a whole year of football. He felt the most comfortable about playing in Denver. It was the easiest adjustment he could make. The biggest thing is probably Elway. He won two superbowls as an older QB and having a guy in that position have confidence in you means a lot.

I'm not defending players for being greedy and I'm not saying that they aren't overpaid. But It's really superficial to throw every decision a player makes to "it's about the money"

5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Not picking on you, but what's wrong with Manning not wanting to necessarily sign with the team that gives him the easiest chance at a Superbowl? Wasn't LeBron James CRUCIFIED for doing just that a year ago?

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I think the crucifixtion was due to the way he announced it. And basketball is a little different than football when it comes to adding one (or two) players and instantly making them a Super Bowl contender. Manning also wouldn't have been going to the 49ers to support Frank Gore in leading them to a championship.

7. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Perceptions and people aren't logical.

Apply the perception:

LBJ: Arrogant, spoiled
    Manning: Loyal, disciplined, humble

To the same situation.

(And it isn't even the same situation. LBJ could have stayed in Cleveland. The Colts kicked Manning to the curb.)

8. ima_drummer2k

I didn't mean to imply it was the same situation, just that it's ironic that some people are criticizing him for NOT wanting to take (what some people perceive as) the "easiest" route to a Superbowl. I don't think Manning is built that way.

Besides, if it was all about the money, he would have signed with Buffalo.......................

9. Major

Major Member

Agreed. It seems people look at it as "whatever is most important to me should be most important to him!"

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I called it!

11. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Aside from, ahem, your mishandling of my name... I tried to rep you but I have to spread it around first. As is, I will virtually doff my cap in your direction coupled with a determined, respectful nod.

12. Hey Now!

Agree to disagree. Among his suitors, Denver would rank as the worst. San Fran is clearly better; Tennessee has far more pieces in place; Arizona is probably a competent QB away from being a playoff contender; Miami, from a roster standpoint, has a lot of pieces in place and a high draft pick this year...

Denver is a mediocre 8-8 team that wildly overachieved last year. They patched together an improbable 7 of 8 stretch last year against zero teams with a winning record in which their margin of victory in 6 of the 7 wins was 3, 7, 4, 3, 3, 3. Beyond that stretch, they're 5-19 the past two years. Even with it: 12-20.

He ran from SB expectations in SF; ran from direct competition with his brother (SF and AZ), ran from his legacy in Tennessee... and picked a comfortable landing spot with no pressure that will pay him a ridiculous amount of money.

(Yes, I hate Peyton Manning; you should, too - all of you. But I stand by these opinion as being independent of that hatred. Mostly.)

13. Major

Major Member

Except he's Peyton Manning. Whereever he goes, he's going be expected to win. Regardless of how they did it, they did make the playoffs and win a playoff game. The expectations there are much higher than AZ or TN would be because they have to do better than they did last year.

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Who will be his backup now?

Rocket River

15. ima_drummer2k

How much freedom would Harbaugh have given him? He will basically be his own offensive coordinator in Denver.

They're not even in the same division as the Giants. And let's be honest - would you want to end your HOF career in Arizona?

If you had lived in Tennessee before, why would you ever want to go back?

No pressure? In Denver?? You've got to be kidding me.

16. Hey Now!

He's replacing the worst starting QB in football playing for a team that hasn't had a winning season since 2006. As Major pointed out - he's Peyton Manning so that obviously brings a certain expectation.

But if he falls flat in Denver (ala Jordan with the Wizards), what damage is done to his reputation? He didn't drive a Super Bowl contender into the ground; he didn't flop on the stage of his collegiate triumphs; he didn't come up short against his brother... He took a mediocre team and.... they stayed mediocre. Wasn't Peyton's fault! (When has it ever been Peyton's fault?)

(And anyway - why are you people defending this man?! How dare you! He is evil and the epitome of Texan mediocrity and defeat. Screw him and screw you, too, sir. Good day. I SAID, 'GOOD DAY!') [slams door; storms off]

17. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

maybe he felt more comfortable with denver, so thats ok.
    but people were saying he didnt care about the money, and any team with no cap would sign him (like people claiming texans would sign him without a big contract), so I was responding to that.

18. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I'm pretty sure Manning didn't choose the Broncos over the 49ers because he didn't want to take the easiest route to the Super Bowl. I'm pretty sure the $95 million contract he signed had just a itty bitty bit to do with that.

19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

FYI, I went ahead and put $10 in the tipjar.

I was going to do so whether I won or lost, since I figure I owe Clutch anyway.

You're welcome to honor your half of the bet or walk away from it if you please.

20. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Lebron took less money so he could win a championship. Manning just went for the biggest paycheck. Lebron is Criticized, Peyton is praised.

I guess everything is just the way you chose to look at things.