1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Manning to Broncos

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Marteen, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Chamillionaire

He goes to probably the weakest division on the league. Lol at the guy who thinks the chargers have a chance, they couldn't win the division with Tebow quarterbacking the Broncos, now with Manning, I'd say they have even less of a chance. Throw in a crappy Rsiders and Chiefs, it's almost a guarantee Broncos win that division for the foreseeable future as long as PM plays 80% of what he did in Indy and I think he will.

2. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Why would they want to? You don't want to have to completely scrap your entire offense when you starting QB misses a few games. Ideally, you want a lite-version of your starter you can just plug in without changing anything. Kind of like what we thought Leinart would be.

That part wasn't addressed at you, just a lot of talk I've been hearing about how Tebow can magically turn into an NFL QB by watching Manning for a year. Not going to happen.

[​IMG]

3. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Since 2006, the Chargers are 63-33, including 14-2 and 13-3 seasons. They've never posted a losing record in Rivers' six years as a starter. Last year's 8-8 finish was almost exclusively a by-product of Rivers having his first off season. If he doesn't bounce back, they're in trouble - but there's nothing to suggest it was anything beyond simply an inexplicably bad year.

And if he does bounce back, even if Manning is 100% healthy, Rivers is the best QB in that division and that means a lot.

I'm not a Charger fan, but I think a lot of people really dislike/don't respect Norv Turner and I think it recasts them as some Keystone Cops-style franchise when they've actually been a pretty reliably good one.

As for the Chiefs - they were mega-hurt last year; and it all happened in bunches and, iirc, before the season started. They never stood a chance. Assuming every one returns to form, with a top 11 draft pick, the addition of Winston, possibly Hillis...

Again, I don't think the Chargers and Chiefs are great; but I don't think the Broncos are, either, and I think the division is going to be tougher than people maybe realize. There are 3 teams that could win 8-9+ games.

4. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Wow, what a contract, front end loaded for sure...Risk for first year if I read it correctly, and as long as he passes 2013 physical, he's good to go but overall, why wouldn't Elway do this deal? even a 50% manning is better than 100% guys out there now and you rid yourself of Tebow even if mannings only there a short period of time...

As for Tebow, it would be risky to back up Manning and a pro offense so he'll end up somewhere he can use his ability, plus he'll sell jerseys whereever he lands...

5. Hey Now!

There's almost no downside. If he proves hurt, you can likely get out of the deal easily and it's not like they're sending an Aaron Rodgers back to the bench for a shot at fleeting glory with Manning - it's a pretty average team. Rolling the dice on Manning doesn't really derail you too terribly. And if he's healthy, buys you 1-3 years.

I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere - but wouldn't San Fran be an ideal landing spot for Tebow? Run-first team with an improving set of WRs that could elevate his play and a top 5 defense...

6. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Damn, Manning's Bank is happy!

7. Hey Now!

Keep in mind: this *is* a recurring injury - he's been dealing with it - struggling, really - for 2-3 years. And he also had the staph infection that required a much-longer than expected recovery, as well as additional surgery.

So while he's obviously been very durable - when he has been hurt, we've seen his recovery hit many speed bumps leading to unplanned additional surgeries.

And now he's 36 on the back-end of a year away from football. It'll be interesting to see how he responds.

8. got em COACH

got em COACH Contributing Member

He's also going to be a good tipper for years to come

[​IMG]

9. SuperHighFly

SuperHighFly Member

That's what I've been saying. Smith had too put up with a lot of crap (even if his performance was underwhelming) in SF. I think he can improve another year under Harbaugh. Honestly he has no choice to re-sign with the Niners under their terms because no one else really wants him. Despite his little play for leverage, the FO still has all of it. Plus no way he ruins what little success he built by restarting with another OC/coach.

10. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Honestly? I'm just happy he didn't stay in the division on the small chance that he recovers well enough to be a top 6 QB. Titans would have been a very dangerous scenario - they aren't as far behind us as we'd like to think. His knowledge of the division alone would have been unsettling.

It will be very interesting to see how big the other changes will be to that offense. If Fox was willing to run a HS offense to accommodate Tebow, I'd have to assume Manning is going to all but be OC and assistant GM.

Know-show may as well get cut. Thomas might make the 3rd yr jump, especially with a real QB throwing to him...but he's got to become a reliable option - the disappearing acts can't continue. Eric Decker should be fine, but he's not a real #1. Saturday may come over, but he's on his last legs. Clark's got a little more in the tank, but he's also winding down.

Division Home + Away
    Oakland Raiders
    Kansas City Chiefs
    San Diego Chargers

Shared HOME:
    Pittsburgh Steelers
    Cleveland Browns
    Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    New Orleans Saints

Shared AWAY:
    Baltimore Ravens
    Cincinnati Bengals
    Atlanta Falcons
    Carolina Panthers

FLEX: Texans, @New England
    vs
    Chargers: Titans, @NY Jets
    Raiders: Jags, @Miami
    Chiefs: Colts, @Buffalo

As always, winning your division games matters the most, but the flex games can bite you some years. I don't think this group is going to sweep the division. Especially if the Chiefs come back strong and with an NFL quarterback.

11. Major

Major Member

I don't think it was a play for leverage - he's already said that he's happy with the contract offer from the 49ers. It was preparation in case Manning went to SF - he had every reason to start exploring and seeing what his options were.

12. Hey Now!

And better than the Broncos. From the very beginning, and I've mentioned it on the board, Tenessee was my, "Please God, no!!!" darkhorse (along with Baltimore - still amazes me he didn't reach out to them and/or vice-versa) - made a *lot* of sense - his alma mater; his wife is from Memphis, same division with two yearly meetings against the Colts...

But, again - he tucked tail and ran. Typical.

13. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Peyton has a master card? Not impressed, true players have the centurion card, such as my main man DeShawn Stevenson

[​IMG]

14. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't understand that statement at all. He ran to team that was better:confused:

15. Major

Major Member

You seem to have a lot of weird personal issues with Peyton Manning. :confused: Him not choosing the team you thought was best for him is not tucking and running.

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I can't see that happening.

He's due 1.6 million this year, not a lot by any means.

2.5 next year. However, after that the team has a 5.9 million dollar option that will almost certainly not be exercised. Look for him to hit the market in 2014.

17. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I'm convinced Peyton Manning pissed on Ric's rug.

It must have really tied the room together.

18. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Not me. I'm a football fan. Give me 2 great matchups a year with my hated enemy. Give me 2 Colts/Titans games a year. Give me drama, give me fun -- NO FEAR.

20. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

don't know why...but it just cracked me up