1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Majority Leader Joe Manchin

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Andre0087, Jun 4, 2021.

1. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Why does this guy keep trying to work with Republicans on various issues? They won't agree to anything and it's a waste of time. He could spend his energy more effectively trying to get H.R. 1 passed and at the minimum go back to a talking filibuster. I guess he thinks these antics of his will get him reelected in 2024 but the writing's on the wall...quit abandoning Democratic core issues and get with the program.

2. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

On a different subject I didn't know his daughter Heather Bresch was the CEO in charge at Mylan when they decided to increased the price of EpiPen's by 461 percent during a 6 or 7 year period. As they say the apple doesn't fall far from the tree...

3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

What exactly are Democratic core principles?

I don't agree with Manchin but I don't see how getting rid of the Filibuster is a core value.

There are repercussions for doing this that will be felt beyond H.R.1

Also what writing is on the wall?

If Manchin loses it will be a Republican taking his place.

pgabriel likes this.
  4. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

I saw him on an interview last night and he said he would not go along with the Infrastructure bill unless it had bipartisan support, the minority has to be heard.......dude, the GOP is trying to stop EVERYTHING and they don't mince words , the Dems even worked with the GOP on the Jan 6th commission bill and they still would not vote for it. Its all about GOP power and its time to play their game, they will not support 1 dam thing that matters.......The turtle even says he's out to block anything from the Biden team. Stand up and help your party

joshuaao, Reeko and Andre0087 like this.
  5. DonatelloLimestone

his constituents and reelectability is more towards the center so he has to walk that line to sustain his power

Invisible Fan likes this.
  6. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

He doesn't have to agree to get rid of it, just as he stated in his own words go back to a talking filibuster. Voting rights are a core democratic value and I meant for democracy in general not the party.

The writing on the wall is saying no matter how hard he tries to derail Biden's agenda he isn't getting reelected...as you stated WV is MAGA country now. Do the right thing and allow all US citizen easy access to voting all across the country.

7. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A number of sources have indicated he’s willingly acting as the “bad guy” to give cover to some other spineless Democrats, who are equally unwilling to support such far-left ideas like infrastructure, voting rights and investigating January 6. These senators aren’t willing to go public with their opposition so Manchin pretends to be the lone obstructionist.

I never understand why the Republicans will shift rightwards in lockstep but the Democrats can’t even manage unity on the most basic aspects of good government. Too many of them are still thinking like it’s 1980 or 1994.

Andre0087, Astrodome, Nook and 5 others like this.
  8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Manchin resides in a state Democrats have no business winning with Trump's GOP.

He can play the game until the votes are counted

pgabriel, rocketsjudoka and Andre0087 like this.
  9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So now we think Manchin is a double agent and is trying to derail Bidens presidency?

Really?

Do you really think HR1 solves everything or the only way to fix things.

So the right thing is to start acting like Republicans?

How is that the right thing to do, start acting like the very people you despise?

This is not a zero sum game and Manchin is not the only Dem that does not want to get rid of the fillibuster.

Astrodome likes this.
  10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I think he is definitely giving cover and sorry to say but that's the way politics are played.

Not every democrat agrees with you, sorry if that makes them spineless.

11. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

I never said he was a double agent whatever that means I stated he has in his head that bipartisanship is still alive and well when it’s dead and gone. He won’t win reelection and I’ll bet cash money on that. Do the right thing and go back to a talking filibuster and go out with a major accomplishment instead of the alternative.

12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Ok so why did you say he is trying to derail Bidens agenda?

Do you think he is actively trying to that?

13. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

As long as the filibuster remains in its current form he’s derailing Biden’s agenda.

14. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Manchin just strikes me as another Joe Lieberman like when they were trying to pass ACA with a public health option.

dmoneybangbang and Andre0087 like this.
  15. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They're spineless because they won’t go public with their objections. Believe it or not, I think having diverse opinions is a great thing so long as everyone comes to the debate in good faith (which in my eyes, means being honest about one’s positions and not relying on patently false information to support those positions). Any legislation must determine both what needs to be done and how it can be accomplished, and I don’t think anyone has a monopoly on having all those answers.

However, it’s next to impossible to make headway on complicated issues when a number of Democrats aren’t being straight about how they feel and the entire GOP is dedicated only to intransigence and tax cuts for the wealthy. Sure that’s nothing new in politics but it doesn’t make any less exasperating.

16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I agree.

Nook likes this.
  17. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

JM and KS are huge issues.

It would be one thing if this was the 90s or something else, but Democracy is literally at stake here.

If the Republicans get power again, its over. They will rig every election going forward.

We were fortunate that this past election that some honorable people stood up and said no, we will not overturn this election. But that breed of men are dying off and actual ****ing lunatics are replacing them. Things are not going to get better and this empire will crumble. This is the pivot point, right ****ing now. Either destroy the rebellion, or it will consume you.

Andre0087, ROCKSS, Reeko and 2 others like this.
  18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

It’s important first to understand West Virginia. WV is a state that is culturally aligned to MAGA but policy wise is Democratic because of the reliance on Medicare, Social Security, etc. because of the low incomes. It’s also a heavily unionized state and the Republicans are anti union.

So Manchin really is a Republican but has to vote Democratic enough on policies regarding SS, and healthcare that he has to technically caucus with the Dems and moderate Republicans because of his votes.

But culturally he knows that his voters absolutely hate Liberals, and part of his pitch to his voters is showing them that he will be an obstructionist to anything THEY perceive as liberal culturally. That includes liberal power in general which HR1 and the filibuster represent.

It’s also never been clear where Manchin’s donor funds come from. My guess is there’s more to his story if we were to find out who is giving him money that impacts the way he obstructs.

Thats Manchin in a nutshell. Sinema... I don’t know what the hell her deal is. She needs liberals to turn out for her in AZ so all I see is incompetence and a lack of seriousness for the job.

Deckard and rocketsjudoka like this.
  19. Reeko

Reeko Member

this…tired of all these dumbass little games from people like Manchin

it’s weak people like him that annoy me the most with the Democratic party

20. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

It's a sad but true fact that Democrats core principle is now actually democracy itself - this is the key distinguishing factor from the other party.

The other is thst legislation should be used to affect changes - something a supermajority requirement makes difficult.

On the other side, as the Trump years proved, the only legislative priorities (tax cuts for the rich and installing right wing judges to lifetime appointments) are not subject to the supermajority requirement.

This is actually not a hard question - what do the Democrats stand for? The hard question is for Manichin and Synema - what do they stand for? Because they keep not being able to articulate it and get clowned by Moscow Mitch at every opportunity....even something as simple as investogating a bunch of terrorists who physically tried to kill them.

Nook and Deckard like this.