1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Main reason why Carmelo in Houston will be successful

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dash, Aug 17, 2018.

1. Toffeeone

Toffeeone Member

I think the keys to Melo success are will he be willing to play some defense, will he willing to pass, and will he willing to move around the court.

In order for Melo to get meanful playtime and be in starting lineup is his willingness to play D. Even Harden played some D so he has to play some too.

Melo needs to play the unselfish role and be willing to find the open player. He needs to pass the ball. He can't be a ball stopper. If he plays a catch and shoot role then he better be hitting those open 3s. Passing makes our offense fluid and unstoppable.

Lastly, he needs to move around. He can't be standing there then either jack a three or play iso ball. At his age he can't be just playing iso. If he wants to then he needs to be coming off the bench and lead our second unit with his iso play.

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

more melo threads yayyyyyy. filled with new thoughts. its friday

Lawlruschang likes this.
  3. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

If Melo comes off the bench, he'll automatically be better at everything because he's playing against lesser players. Paul took advantage of the same last season. I'm confident the Rockets Coaching will maximize his talents on both ends of the court.

D-rock and Lawlruschang like this.
  4. nemac

nemac Member

Cocaine. Hell of a drug, it is.

5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

You know, I like the cut of your jib. That's a very open minded mentality. If corporations can be people, processes can too. Bravo.

[​IMG]

Lawlruschang, Plowman and D-rock like this.
  6. topfive

topfive CF OG

A Melo thread a day keeps the doctor away.

In Italian, apple = mela. Coincidence? I think NOT.

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Harden and CP3 are playmakers while Melo is a scorer. I can trust Harden and CP3 to make good decisions to take advantage of the best mismatch. The good news is that Melo will sometimes have the best mismatch and he'll exploit that. But I don't really trust Melo as the decision-maker. If he gets the ball at the top of the key, he's not going to think how are we going to get a score this possession, but how is he going to tally a bucket or an assist on this possession. Fortunately, he shouldn't have to be a decision-maker when we've got Paul and Harden.

I'm not sure what else we'd talk about. You prefer we start no new threads?

Lawlruschang and cml750 like this.
  8. YOLO

YOLO Member

you mean this is actually new stuff in a brand new thread? no way :)

9. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Because he's been working so hard this off-season with his trainer, that he got his first step back.

10. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Steve Smith on how Carmelo can fit in with the Rockets.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Success is a relative term. Team success above individual success.

And it depends a lot on the level of expectation. No Finals again? Success or non Success?

12. Luke_The_Duke

Luke_The_Duke Member

One question tho, who is Melo Gordon? I believe in my heart that Melo will work work with CP3 & JH. I can almost guarantee melo wouldn't have gone 0-12. Melo is sooooo much better on Offense than Athreeeza. Trev could barely dribble the ball without tripping over his own shoelaces let's be real about that!

Lawlruschang likes this.
  13. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I hate watch OKC too. For a few years though. I think people don’t fully realize how much Westbrook castrates his teammates. Westbrook honestly would probably be better served as a 2 guard and OKC getting a PG that can get the team involved better.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

And they need a top tier coach who will force WB play as a 2.

Lawlruschang likes this.
  15. MONON

MONON Member

[QUOTE="xtruroyaltyx, post: 11933558, member: 49334" Westbrook honestly would probably be better served as a 2 guard and OKC getting a PG that can get the team involved better.[/QUOTE]
    Oh! That'll never happen!!!

Lawlruschang likes this.
  16. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Oh! That'll never happen!!![/QUOTE]
    Didn't they just get Shroeder?

17. Killatron 2000

Killatron 2000 Punk Rocket

Sasquatch. I mean Aliens. Wait, no. Sasquatch. Uncanny low-post game.

18. MONON

MONON Member

Didn't they just get Shroeder?[/QUOTE]
    OOPS! You're right. Forgot about the particulars of the Melo trade. I was just commenting on whether or not RW's ego/stats would allow him to relinquish ball handling duties when he's on the court, especially when they'll have Roberson back. But then again maybe they're tired of Roberson's shooting (or lack thereof). I just don't see them replacing Roberson's defense with Westbrick's defense.

Lawlruschang likes this.
  19. 34to11

34to11 Member

Thank you!

20. errpac

errpac Member

I’m excited about picking up melo. Not saying for sure it’ll work. But he can definitly make us better. I see it as a low risk high reward situation.
    Look even josh smith worked out for us. Melo is much better then smith. What did smith do after he left the rockets?

Lawlruschang likes this.