1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ma Jian: Forgotten Story

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tozai, Jun 6, 2002.

1. tozai

tozai Member

Do you all remember watching Utah play back when Keith Van Horn was a freshman? There was a 7 foot Chinese player with 'Ma' on the back of his jersey. He played inside and outside, but was not very dominant. He did show he had fundamental skills had hit several three pointers in the game I saw. He had a good stroke just like Yao. He could handle the ball decently as well. He wasn't getting a ton of minutes but he played a fair amount of time. He was built a little more in the upper body, but similar to Yao with his legs. Anyways, he wasn't a stud but he did have some decent skills. He tried to try out for the Utah Jazz without the Chinese government's permission and was banned from playing for the national team. I'm surprised no one has brought him up. Anyone from China or elsewhere know what happened to him?

2. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

Ma Jian was 6'7", not 7 feet. But nice try at attemping to sterotype all Chinese big men as soft three point shooters. You Yao haters are getting more and more clever. ;)

3. tozai

tozai Member

What? I was writing from memory, sorry I don't memorize player's heights. I'm not trying to stereotype Chinese players, I just want to know what happened to him.

4. Samurai Jack

Samurai Jack Contributing Member

He was just joking, didn’t you notice the ...;)

S.J.

5. heech

heech Contributing Member

Your memory's not bad, I didn't think anyone remembered him.

He's not allowed to play on the national team... but he is sticking around in the CBA. He's played for one of the two Beijing franchises for the past few years... but from what I know wasn't any more dominant there than he was at Utah.

6. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

Tozai --

Samurai's right -- I was just kidding. Thus the ;)

I didn't have his height memorized either -- I had to look it up! (But I did remember that he was a forward.)

7. chinese

chinese Member

He is doing fine in China BA, played for a couple of teams
    in China, doing good.Still playing, not a dominating player he used to be in China while youngsters like Wang and Yao are much
    sight-drawing than him, but he is still be known,still a celebrity
    there.
    His family, wife and childern, is in US, he has to make money form China BA to meet the expense.

8. tozai

tozai Member

Thanks for the info....I never saw the smiley

9. LA's #1 Rocket Fan

I remember a Ma too that played in the Clipper's preseason about 4-5 years ago and was close to joining ( I mean the clippers said they were choosing between him and two other guys on who to cut). Anyways he was a small forward and was 6'7 220 with a built body like caron butler (and very strong and aggressive). He was pretty agile from what I remember, but he didn't have too great a shot. He was quick and I'd compare him to maybe Devin George of the Lakers but with better ballhandling skills. I remember them saying he was like the Mike(J) of China. But just a reminder that basketball in China has gotten maybe 100 times better than it was then even though it was just 4 or 5 years ago IMO.

10. hoopgod13

hoopgod13 Contributing Member

Ya that's Ma Jian....I remember watchin that on NBA Inside Stuff. LOL...Willow Bay was hot on that show...Summer Sanders is her hot replacement...nice.

11. LA's #1 Rocket Fan

I thought she looked alittle different, I didn't know she was a whole different person LOL. But yup they both are pretty.

12. Mack

Mack Contributing Member

Willow Bay? Will Obey? It's another David Stern conspiracy!
    :mad: