1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lue Question

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by aelliott, Jun 28, 2004.

1. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Ok, I'm confused here.

1)It's been reported that Tyrone Lue will be part of the TMac deal.

2)Tyronne Lue has a player option this offseason.

3)NBA CBA Article VII, Section 8 (Trade Rules), states:

(c) A Team cannot trade any player after the NBA trade deadline occurring in the last Season of the player's Contract, or after the NBA trade deadline occurring in any Season that could be the last Season of the player's Contract based upon the exercise or non-exercise of an Option or Early Termination Option.

From that it appears to me that Lue has been untradable since last season's trade deadline and couldn't be traded until a) the deadline for him opting out passes and he doesn't exercise the option or b) he opts out and agrees to a Sign & Trade.

Am I missing something here? How could Lue be involved in a Rocket's deal prior to mid-July?

2. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

aelliott- It sure looks pretty cut and dry to me. I don't think it really changes anything if Lue isn't involved (except maybe having to take on Declerq), but that excerpt leaves very little room for ambiguity.

This isn't the first time I've heard of potentially trading a player with an option right befre he can exercise it. I want to say it was a few years ago, with Miami and maybe Anthony Carter or Bruce Bowen? But, that deal never went down.

The other thing would be if Lue doesn't actually have a player option, but his agent sure seemed to think he does. I've been unsuccessful in finding any articles on the terms of Lue's deal when he was signed.

3. Daedalus

Daedalus Member

is it true that he was one of the Cosby kids?

wasn't he Denise step-son after she married his dad (Naval officer on the show)? What amazes me is that he's kept the same haircut throughout his life.

4. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

I was wondering this myself, and was going to ask about this. I remember it coming up a few years back when there was talk of trading Brad Miller by the Bulls. He had a three year contract, with only the first year being guaranteed. The talk was that he could not be traded right before July 1st, because the team that took him could cut him after July 1st, with no salary obligation. I think they said at the time that they would have to guarantee his deal to move him.

If my math is right from this thread, we can do the deal before July 1st, without receiving Lue or using the trade exception:

http://bbs2.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=79441

Aelliot - do you think I am right with this assessment, and/or my math?

5. JoeBarelyCares

p.s. and maybe the reports of Lue having an opt out are incorrect. The hoops hype web site does not show him have a player option, which is how they list opt out contracts.

6. aelliott

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

It could be that the speculation that he intends to opt out is wrong and they made the deal accordingly. What is his deadline for deciding? Also, is the deal that he absolutely can't be traded or that he can't be traded without his consent?

8. aelliott

As long as there is an option of him opting out, then he can't be traded.

I believe that he can excercise his option after July 1st. I'm not sure when his option expires, but it's probably a few days later.

Hasn't his agent talked about opting out? If so, that doesn't sound like he's waived his option.

9. Rudyball

Rudyball Contributing Member

Seems like he would have to wave his option to be part of the deal. Doubt that will happen since he is trying to get a raise, but it could if he wants to play with the Rox more. after playing with Orlando last year, he could have wanted to opt out just to get on another team !

Also, hasn't Payton already excercised his option with the Lakers. seems like Lue would have to excercise the option before July 1st to be an available free agent during the moratorium.

10. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

I would like to get Lue in the deal to split time with another vet PG pick-up (or maybe with Daniels).

So he could exercise his option (agree to take the current contract) 1st thing tomarrow and then be traded right?

I don't think his market is that much higher than the 1.6 mil due him this year because over the cap teams would have to break up their MLE to beat it. His market should be pretty similar as last year, where the best he got was 2 year/3.15 mil, as his performance as been similar the last few years. Further, there might be more competition for fewer PG openings with of course Nash the big prize, and with Barry, Alston, Fisher, Arroyo, Daniels, Crawford, D Jones, and Hudson out there at about his level or a little above. Plenty of vet min guys you might squeeze out some back-up production out of like Sura, Knight, Hunter, Anth Johnson, Whitney, and Stickland that might also lead teams to pass on Lue if he asks too much.

Perhaps Lue can get reassurences that if he exercises his option the Rockets next year will give him a minimum of 3 year 8 mil deal starting 05/06 using the Early Bird. Lue gets a reasonable contract/assurance and to play in a good situation for him (loaded team where he could have a role), the Rockets save their MLE.

It isn't like he is a totally 1 hit wonder like Maloney, nor is it anywhere near the contract of the Moochie mistake. Like I said, I'd like to get him, as long as it doesn't break up an MLE. I say talk to him and his agent, let him know he is wanted here, and work something reasonable.

11. WoodlandsBoy

WoodlandsBoy Contributing Member

Sounds like Sheet-Head GM is trying to sabatoge the deal again.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think the option has to be the TEAM'S option and not the players option.

I think it is ok to trade players that are under guaranteed contract at the point of the trade, as long as the team does not hold the option.

DD

13. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dakota- The language is pretty plain, it just says option..

A Team cannot trade any player after the NBA trade deadline occurring in the last Season of the player's Contract, or after the NBA trade deadline occurring in any Season that could be the last Season of the player's Contract based upon the exercise or non-exercise of an Option or Early Termination Option.

Desert Scar- His agent, Andy Miller, seemed pretty certain about plans to opt out. Based on the language, if Lue exercises his option, he no longer would be in his potential last season, so it'd be good to go if he agrees to the 1.65 mill.

Maybe our good buddy the CBA expert, Jonathan Feigen will go make some calls like he did on the trade exception.

14. Desert Scar

That is why I say talk to Lue and his agent tonight, tell them you want Lue to be part of the Rocket plans, and work out some principals for next offseason. You reassure them if he opts out the Rockets will give him no less than a 3 year 8 mil deal next year (using the Early Bird). That works out to almost 10mil over 4 years, and maybe more. Hard to argue that isn't good to both sides, the Rockets word is as good as gold (see Maloney, Moochie, Shandon).

15. JoeBarelyCares

So maybe Lue is the hold-up? Nonetheless, if you run the numbers, I think you can do the deal without Lue, and just trade the other three players.

16. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

My 2 cents....

It never made sense to me that a trade was being discussed as if it were going to happen prior to July 14th. IMHO, prior to the Feb trade deadline is the last date that salaries with a 2003-04 contract value could be imputed in a deal. Otherwise, what's to stop teams from agreeing to a trade post-Feb tradeline and consumating it in mid-July? If the 2003-04 salaries are used, you have (discounting the use of players for the 03-04 season) effectively bypassed the trade deadline.

Further, observe Draft Day trades. The trades can not be completed until after the July Moratorium and the next seasons' contract value is always used.

IMHO, the deal is taking this long because the Magic and Rockets have agreed in principle to whom they want to trade and a certain series of events had to transpire....Gaines not being taken by CHA, Lue having a 04-05 contract, 04-05 contract values going into effect, the July Moratorium expiring....

By my figures, the Rockets are sending:

Francis @ $11.3m
    Cato @ $8.0m
    Mobley @ $5.9m
    Total = $25.2m

McGrady and Howard combine for 04-05 salaries of $19.9m. 115% of $19.9m is $22.8m so an add'l $2.4+m in salaries is all that is required. So the trade is completed by Gaines @ $1.2m and Lue @ $1.65m. Should Lue opt out, the trade can still be completed by either Gaines and $1.2+m (Steven Hunter re-signed) or substituting a single player making $2.4+m (DeClerq). It's not a stretch to see that the Rox would rather have Gaines and Lue over DeClerq and that the Magic may want to keep Hunter and/or there may be problems with BYC if Hunters' raise is too large.

Lue and Gaines just make the deal a lot easier.

(BTW..in round numbers, McGrady + Juwan + Gaines = $21.1m * 115% = $24.3m...short of the $25.2m required).

#16 GATER, Jun 29, 2004
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2004
  17. JoeBarelyCares

I think the intent of the moratorium is so that lottery teams do not dump players to contenders on the last day of the regular season, making the regular season relatively meaningless. No team is going to agree to a trade in late February, to be consumated in late June, because of the potential for injury to the principals, disruption to the team if the players know they are "lame ducks", etc. Nonetheless, if the teams agreed to a trade four months in advance, it would not be consummated in time for the players to play in the playoffs, so the intent of the rule would not be circumvented.

I would think the Rockets would insist the McGrady deal be done, or at least official, prior to July 1st; otherwise the Rockets will not be certain which free agents to court during the July moratorium. Given that they probably can't trust Weisbrod, the deal needs to be official come tomorrow.

18. aelliott

DaDakota,

Nope, that's not what it means. In the NBA CBA, "option" = "team option" and "Early Termination Option"= player option.

Here's the CBA definition of Early Termination Option:

"Early Termination Option (or "ETO") Means an option in favor of a player to shorten the stated term of a Player Contract in accordance with Article XII"

19. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Well By tomorow we'll findout if Lue has decide to Opt out of his Remaining Contact!. legaly he can optout if he thinks someone else Will Better his Status!

20. Desert Scar

So because Lue was traded he must have opted out before the deal could have gone through, yes?

Thus Lue is assured of being under his current (1.7 mil) contract for the Rockets for next year, yes?

This is important because it determines the kind of PG we want to acquire to compliment Lue.