1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Love Ime, But He’s Awful At Challenges!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Imanimal, Jan 28, 2024.

1. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Udoka flat out stole a victory from the team last night by not challenging that ultra critical reffing error that would have been a jump ball instead of giving two free throws to a 85% free throw shooter to win the game for the Nets. What the $&@? was he saving the challenge for with 10 seconds left in the freaking game??? Maybe he already used it and me and several others on this board missed it, but if not that is the worst coaching mistake of his career.

Hank McDowell likes this.
  2. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

Seems like that's the one thing Silas does better than Ime...I remember us winning lots of challenges last year. Can hardly remember any this season.

It is what it is, I guess

Easy, Imanimal and gfab-babyboi like this.
  3. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Agree, think goofy Hollins even used to have a nickname “Silas Challenge” he’d throw out there with enthusiasm. Why give Cam Thomas two free throws in a tie game to win it without at least just throwing it out there whether right or wrong. Worst case scenario, they don’t overturn it and you lose the game….best case scenario they overturn it and you get the last shot to win or miss and go to overtime. A 5 year old gets the logic in this case, yet Ime ended the game with his challenge not used.

4. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The logic was that the rockets only had 1 timeout left. That is why he saved it. Challenging that play uses your timeout even if you win the challenge. If they lose the challenge then Thomas gets free throws and the rockets can't advance the ball, meaning they probably get a terrible shot to end the game. Even if they win the challenge it's a jump ball with 5 second left, which still isn't a great spot to be in. If the rockets lose the jump ball the game is just over, even if they win they have no timeout to get into a good spot to get a good shot.

I can promise you if Ime had more than one timeout he would've challenged it.

gotsis, OremLK, Patience and 6 others like this.
  5. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

All of this, but if it’s the 1st challenge, you do get to keep your TO if you win the challenge.

34to11 and harold bingo like this.
  6. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Good point Harold, but I believe you get the timeout back if you win the challenge. Even if not, he should’ve used it as Green is a much better athlete/jumper than Cam Thomas and would’ve certainly won the jump and provided us with a better chance to win with a two pointer.

harold bingo likes this.
  7. Salvy

Salvy Member

We went from a Maserati in Silas to a Kia in Ime....

Easy likes this.
  8. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

fify

Easy and Salvy like this.
  9. Salvy

Salvy Member

[​IMG]

Easy and Os Trigonum like this.
  10. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

lol

Salvy likes this.
  11. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Y’all do realize it’s not Ime, right? There’s three guys or so on iPads behind the bench that are constantly refreshing the plays. They tell him whether to challenge.

BallSoHarden likes this.
  12. Salvy

Salvy Member

The Challenge Wagon...

[​IMG]

topfive, ThatBoyNick, Easy and 2 others like this.
  13. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

To be clear, I still LOVE the job Ime is doing and he inspired a great comeback yesterday, but that may have been the worst non-use of a free challenge (only 5 seconds left in the game) I have ever seen in any professional sport. That and not fouling the three point shooter the other night are two losses that he provided to our team by extremely poor coaching. He needs accountability (which is never the case with Houston sports media) as well.

Salvy likes this.
  14. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

wait . . . really??

seeingredtx likes this.
  15. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Then they should be fired as he’s sucked all year on the timing and use of challenges. Ultimately, he is the head honcho and should receive the blame.

16. Salvy

Salvy Member

It is only fair Ime get's benched in the 4th with the decisions he's been making lately...

17. seeingredtx

seeingredtx Enlightened

I feel a lot of times Ime wants to show his players he has their backs…players tend to make a passionate plea….I’ve seen him take their words rather then looking for the guys behind the bench to make a call many times.

18. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

I think we ought to give Jock a shot at coaching when Ime's benched

Salvy likes this.
  19. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Thanks I didn't know this. That makes it a much tougher decision. Still incredibly risky but a really high payoff if he wins the challenge and Jalen wins the tip.

Imanimal likes this.
  20. Salvy

Salvy Member

But if Jock is coaching who is going to be leading The Rockets to victory and making up for Sengun's defensive woes?