1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    GAME 7 ORLANDO vs CLEVELAND. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Looking to get a bicycle

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BrieflySpeaking, Apr 1, 2015.

1. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

I'm interested in getting a bike but have no idea what I should or shouldn't get. I'm not looking for anything too expensive or "luxurious" but would be willing to shell out something since I also don't want the bike to only last me a month, so something in between. $100-300 I prefer comfort over 'performance' but do want quality, so something comfortable and durable for sure.

So what yall got?

2. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

Mountain, road bike, cruising bike? What kind of riding do you plan to do?

3. BrieflySpeaking

A bike to cruise on the roads..

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

April fools! I'm fat!

1 person likes this.
  5. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

Well, it will be hard to find a great bike on that budget from my experience.

I do some long distance riding and the cheapest quality roadbike I can find is at around $800, but if you are casual riding, and I'm being serious, look at walmart.com and price some there. I think you can order something very decent that can fit your needs and budget. Hell, I'm using a Denali Road bike for my rides, but it does not compare to the higher end bikes.

6. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

I don't know much about bicycles but from the bike nerds I know they say you can't get anything decent under several hundred dollars. I have had bikes that I bought at Wal-Mart that I thought were fine for about $100 but they were heavy. You might want to look into getting a used one of craigslist or a garage sale.

Unrelated question: does anyone know a website or shop to get golf clubs (used) for someone tall? I am about 6'5" and suck at golf and don't want to drop a 300 bucks on something that I suck at. The standard sized clubs I have used in the past are way too short and awkward. I don't know much about golf but I want to start going to the driving range on occasion.

7. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

For under $300 you best bet would be used. Off the shelf crap will be just that, crap. Check Craigslist or visit a local bike shop. I'd recommend going up to the $400-500 range if possible... and a "hybrid" bike that allows for light off-roading and street riding would be my suggestion, unless you want a straight up cruiser. I'd recommend visiting a Bike Barn, they are always happy to help and aren't push on sales. I bought a Trek 8.4 DS (Dual Sport) from them about six months ago and love it.

As far as golf clubs go, I just built and purchased a new set this week. At your height you probably need to visit Golf Galaxy or the like and get measured for club length. They do it for free... just tell them you'll come back on payday to get the clubs or something. Once you have the length, hit up eBay.

As an aside, if you want to bargain shop visit thrift stores and Goodwills in nicer areas. People donate clubs all the time and the stores have no idea how to price them. I have a buddy that scored a $1500 set of clubs for like $40.

1 person likes this.
  8. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

If you go the used route then wait a few of weeks. MS150 is April 18-19 and there are usually a decent of amount of bikes for sale afterwards.

9. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

Great point.

10. BrieflySpeaking

what do you mean by light off-roading? I mean, all we all here are running trials and I'm sure you could use a regular bike there. But yes, I think I get your point, I don't want a bike with those really thin tires, since a rock could probably penetrate the tires. I just want a bike that is comfortable, but no cruiser beach bike looking. I do want something athletic since I am an athlete :cool:, but don't really want to pay so much for a bike, especially since I'm just starting, and there's no point in getting a starter bike that costs so much considering that I might not even use it that much. Man, I had no idea bikes were so damn expensive. :eek:

#10 BrieflySpeaking, Apr 1, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
  11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I know what you mean. That was my position a couple years ago. I wanted to start biking regularly but I wasn't committed enough to drop a lot of cash for a "good" bike. I realized there was a decent chance that I would buy the thing, ride it a few times, and then stop using it. I tend to do things like that.

So I ended up getting one at Academy on sale for $125-$150, and I don't regret that purchase. Is it a great bike? No. Does it get me around and allow me to ride on the street and bike trails (usually Terry Hershey Park)? Yes. And I haven't had any real problems with it.

Something like this:

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/mon...e/pid-751369?N=86154594+4294951361+4294725576

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/mon...e/pid-763398?N=86154594+4294951361+4294725576

My thinking was I would buy something cheap and if I found that I was using it so much as to ride it into the ground, then and only then could I justify to myself dropping ~$800 on a friggin bicycle.

A couple years later and I'm still going on that cheapo bike. I'll probably bite on a better and expensive one later, but it's good enough for my current needs.

12. paulnhbtx

paulnhbtx Member

I got a used specialized allez from west end bicycle for 300.00

ask for Luis at West end.. he will take care of you.

also search CL.

DONT BUY A BIKE FROM WALMART..

you can get a decent older used road bike for 300.00 on CL ALL DAY

13. paulnhbtx

paulnhbtx Member

Or even at a pawn shop.. if you see a 500.00 bike you like at a pawn shop offer them 300.00 or less. you will be surprised how much margin they make so for them to knock off 200 or more is doable.

14. paulnhbtx

paulnhbtx Member

1 person likes this.
  15. BrieflySpeaking

16. paulnhbtx

paulnhbtx Member

you are very welcome!

59 to 60 CM.. If you can go to a local bike shop and try a few sizes.. see what feels best.

I really like specialized. You could probably find some good deals on ebay as well. Never pay full price off CL or a pawn shop.

Let me know how it goes!

PS. that is awesome you are getting into biking. I personally love biking. I was able to lose 45 pounds biking, eating cleaner, and juicing.

Also if you are going to bike in Houston Streets get a helmet!

17. paulnhbtx

paulnhbtx Member

18. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

19. paulnhbtx

paulnhbtx Member

I think so.

20. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

First, think seriously about buying a used bike, especially through a reputable bike shop. Lots of riders upgrade to more expensive bikes and the shops usually help them sell their old bikes. The bikes should be in really good shape and you start a relationship with a bike dealer that will benefit you as you start thinking about upgrading.

I'd probably focus on mountain bikes since most people find their more upright riding position more comfortable and with shocks and wider tires they tend to ride more comfortably, even if you only ride on pavement. I wouldn't necessarily rule out road bikes though... many people prefer that riding position especially riding longer distances on pavement. If the bike is properly fitted, you can be very comfortable.

Emphasize "properly fitted", which is another reason to buy from a reputable bike shop. Bikes are like shoes... a bike (like show) that doesn't fit you will always be uncomfortable.

While its possible to get a good bike, correctly assembled, tuned, and fitted at a department store (like Target, Walmart, Academy), its more likely that a reputable bike shop will do all this correctly. Avoid the department store... focus on a good bike shop.