1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Looking for a SG

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by stevel, Jul 20, 2005.

1. stevel

stevel Contributing Member

I really think we are going to end up with DS as our starting PG. He really wants to be here, and T-mac seems to want him here (this wouldn't be the first time the Rocks have done something a star player wants - TMorris, Moochies contract, etc..). If we get DS I really feel like we have to add some size to our SG spot. Looking on Realgm.com for potential partners (ie teams in salary cap trouble with an extra SG or 2) I came up with a few possibilities.

1. Wally's World: We have all read that Minn has been looking to deal for quite a while. IF (and that is a big if) they just wanted out of his contract, perhaps some of our expiring contracts and a future first could seal the deal. Remember Minn was without a first for 5 years. I am not in love with Wally's overall game, but he does bring a toughness and more importantly he is an excellent shooter- both long and mid range. I really think he could average 16-20 a game here just knocking down open shots created by Yao and Tmac. I think he could be a real nice addition for us.

2. Every Rose has it's thorns: Jalen has also been on the block for a while, and again he might be available for a future first and some expiring contracts. He is a good athlete with great size and good shooting ability. he also can be a good passer, if he isn't chucking every open shot he sees. I really like his size, especially if DS is our PG. If we did this deal, I would really push for Mo Peterson in the deal. I am not sure if expiring contracts and a pick or 2 could get it done, but Mo Pete would be the future and Rose could certainly help in the short term. I would love to simply trade for Mo Pete otright, but I think it will be easier to get Tor's attention if we agree to take Rose's monster contract off their hands.

3. Unlikely but could be nice: NYK's salary situation is absurd, and with the addition of QR, perhaps our expiring contracts and a first rounder could get us Crawford. Marbury and QR are going to start, and since they have 37 PFs perhaps they could swap Sweetney for a swing guy to back up these 2. NY has to do something and we seem to have a rapport with them. I think JC would be a real nice addition. Like it or not NYK are in arebuilding stage and the easiest way to get that done is to bit the bullet, clear cap space and get some extra picks in the process - see Denver for a pretty solid blue print.

Other possibilities - GS (Dunleavy or Pietrus - I am guessing they like JRich better but I could certainly be wrong and this would require us taking a bad contract in return), Port (DA's injury history is quite scary), Det (anyone know anything about Delfino other than he wants out?) etc...

I would like to keep Sura if at all possible in the trade process. I really like his game, and given his injury history he would definitely last longer playing back up minutes at the 1 and 2. To me anyone else is fair game outside the key cogs. I would like to try to MJ as well as a backup PG/spark plug off the bench.

I am not sure any of these can/would be done at the beginning of the season, but as we get closer to the trade deadline our expiring contracts will gain more value. Remember VC was obtained for pick and garbage as was BDavis. I really think we can/will get something done that would benefit us.

2. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Wally World is due to make 12M a year for the next 4 seasons or something like that, no thanks.

Rose has a horrible contract as well, but he is a good all around player.

Crawford? Not only do we not have a chance, but he's probably one of the worst SGs we could add to this current team.

Pietrus most likely isn't going anywhere, but anything is possible. He had a very good season last year and is on a dirt cheap contract.

3. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Pietrus would be a dream. We'd probably have to get him midseason and take either Foyle or Fish with him and give them a #1. I'd still do that deal. GS would probably want to dump both Foyle and Fish in a cost cutting move. We could swing that with DWes, Spoon, and either MJ/Sura plus #1. Don't know if that would leave us enough expirings to re-up Yao without going into LT.

4. New Jack

New Jack Member

With Wally and Stoudamire, our defense in the backcourt would be horrible.

With Rose or Crawford, we would have too many players that need the ball in their hands to be effective.

Plus all 3 has horrible contracts.

Pietrus would be ideal, but I don't think GS is looking for a trade.

I'm thinking the starting 2 guard will be some under-the-radar role player rather some big name guard.

5. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

we we get DAmon... you all better get used to the idea of having D. Anderson and his Mo Taylor-like contract too - since that is probably who they will make us take to do a sign in trade

6. stevel

If DA can play 70+ games in a year I would not mind. Looking at what could be available via trade, it doesn't seem like there is much out there. Maybe more will be available near the trade deadline.

7. Nero

Nero Member

Jasikevicius anyone?

8. stevel

I agree with most of your points, but I don't think we are going to be able to find an inexpensive 2 that will play D (2/3 of the league doens't play any D) and be able to knock down the 3 consistently. I was trying to find decent shooters without too many health problems.

If you took Wally - I would have Tmac play D on the 2. I am not saying I want Wally, just that he is probably available, and I think offensively we would be unstoppable.

I would personally take Rose to get Mo Pete (which I mentioned in the original post) I would start Mo Pete and make Rose my 6th Man.

Yao
    Swift
    Tmac
    Mo P
    DS (if we get him)

Deke
    JH
    Rose
    head/sura
    MJ/Sura

9. stevel

Defensive liability, but could be interesting. I am not sure how we could sign him.

10. trifle3A

trifle3A Member

doug christe probably available maybe for sura + expiring contract. they are looking for bigger point guard comination of christe and wesly can shut down any backcourt

11. Nero

Nero Member

Well, last thing I saw was that he was only looking for about 2 million per.. surely we could take a flyer for that much. Probably the bigger problem is having to clear out a roster spot.. say gnite mooch.

12. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Gerald Wallace.

13. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Sign and Trade for Damon Stoudamire and Derek Anderson.

When DA's healthy, and that's a major caveat, he's a very good player, a high character guy, and he'd be a very good fit here.

14. Got Em

Got Em Member

I know that he want's to get out of Orlando, but why would they want to trade him? He's on the last year of his deal at 8 million and I just don't think they want to take back anymore contracts. Also, our PGs wouldn't work. They already have Francis and Nelson, plus they were looking at Watson. What they want is a pure PG, something that we don't have. It would be great if Doug came here for Sura + Wesley or James (2 of these 3), but I just don't see it happening.

15. oldman

oldman Contributing Member

we need a tall 2 who can shoot and play D:

1.James Posey
    2.Bonzi
    3.Jalen Rose
    4.Sprewell

16. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

Jalen does not play D and is a cancer. However, I like Posey. I don't know if the Rockets would be willing to take on his contract, although I would.

17. jeremyang2002

jeremyang2002 Contributing Member

Morris Peterson

18. themocitydon

themocitydon Member

wally world is not clutch, and i dont want his wackness on our team. jalen could be a nice ddition though. but id rather concentrate on a point guard more than anything else.