1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Longhorns Football 2001- I'm pumped!!!

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by SamCassell, Jul 12, 2001.

1. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Actually, Chris played rather well. Major threw two picks, one a badly underthrown pass. they would have won the game regardless if the defense was sound on STanford's last drive.

------------------
    "norm, would you like to buy an indian scalp ? This deal isn't gonna make or break me Norm, so don't jerk me around." Harry Carey "Norm, if I had a mohawk scalp, I wouldn't be sitting here talking to you."

[This message has been edited by gr8-1 (edited July 12, 2001).]

2. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Yeah, Didn't we knock out Stanford's starting QB in that game? How the hell did we lose that one?

------------------
    True Faith

3. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Poor on the field strategizing and pre-game preparation, that's why. Mack is a very good recruiter, but he needs better people around him and allow those people to make the tough decision for him.

4. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Alright, I know you don't win national championships in the preseason. But, damn, we're ranked #1 by several sources, including the Sporting News. We've got damn easy schedule, with the only challenging game against BlowU. Here's the schedule: NMSU, UNC, UH, Tech, ZeroU, Ok. St, Col, Mizzou, Baylor, Kansas, and A&M. A&M is a joke next year, and have really fallen into mediocrity. It's a shame how RC Scrotum has driven a once proud team into the ground.

The Horns have better depth than any other team in the Big XII. Our offense will be one of the best in the nation- putting up 40-50 on a regular basis. At quarterback we go three deep with Simms, Applewhite, and Mock. At RB, Ike will start with Hayter and Benson getting carries as well. We are absolutely stacked at WR with the "Big 3": Roy, BJ, and Sloan. Not to mention Kyle Shanahan, Montrell Flowers, and Tony Jeffery, all of whom could potentially start at any other Big XII school. At TE we'll start former high school phenom Bo Scaife, who's backed up by 6'5", 250lb. Brock Edwards, and former WR, Artie Ellis. OL is anchored by monster Antwan Kirk-Hughes.

Our defense will continue to shock the nation, especially with the amazing speed in the secondary, with Jammer and Babers at the corners, and Vasher and Lee Jackson at safety. Cory Redding will continue to improve at DE, and DD Lewis is one of the nation's best LB's.

The only thing that can stop us this year is another brain fart like NC St. or Stanford. There is no excuse for not being able to sweep through the regular season. We have one of the easiest schedules in the country. It's up to Mack Brown not to screw this one up. Remember, first game is September 4 against New Mexico St...can't wait.

Hook Em.

------------------
    "Oh No..."
    -Bill Walton in 97 just before Stockton's buzzer beater

5. Kingrene

Kingrene Member

I don't like Victor Ike. The guy has poor lateral movement when he runs. I can't wait to see Benson. I predict Benson will be the starter before the season is halfway over.

------------------

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I hate RC Poke'm too
    He has f*cked A&M for years
    he is the tony barone of football
    He is good. . . but too too conservative
    and too too predictable
    he crumbles under pressure
    Big Games scares him

Rocket River

------------------

7. Smokey

I'm concerned about three games: UNC, 0U, and A$M.

UNC: Mack's former school with something to prove. UNC won't be ready for the heat in Austin [like Stanford '99] (11 AM ABC).

0U: 0U is not a fluke (TBA ABC).

A$M: No matter how good or bad A$M is, UT has not had much success in College Station (11 AM ABC).

------------------
    True Faith

8. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

The guy has poor lateral movement when he runs

I don't know... you remember his 80-yd TD against NC State a couple years back? Juked that last defensive back so badly he broke the guy's hips instead of his ankles.

9. Smokey

Don't forget Ike's kickoff return vs. Oregon.

------------------
    True Faith

10. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

Is LB DD Lewis related to ex-cowboy LB DD Lewis?

------------------
    It looks like a veteran can Be had.

11. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

The team has the talent, I just want to know if they have the killer instinct.

Here are my expectations : BCS Bowl, Big 12 championship, and a win over the land thieves.

I'm not worried about anyone else on the schedule. This team is very talented.

------------------
    "norm, would you like to buy an indian scalp ? This deal isn't gonna make or break me Norm, so don't jerk me around." Harry Carey "Norm, if I had a mohawk scalp, I wouldn't be sitting here talking to you."

12. Smokey

I'm afraid of what a new coach could do at A$M. A$M has history. New coaches have put UT and 0U back on the map. We could have a three headed monster in the Big XII South...the toughest division in the toughest conference.

As long as the Aggy's keep RC, A$M will keep reaching for the Alamo Bowl every year.

------------------
    True Faith

13. Kingrene

Kingrene Member

Nobody can deny Ike's speed, I just don't think he is the answer for Texas at RB. He never eludes the first tackler, a trait that all great running backs share.

Of course, since I am a huge Texas Longhorn football fan, I hope Ike proves me wrong.

Did any of you see Benson in last year's 5A championship game? I think Texas' offense, with Benson starting by mid year, will be as good as anybody in the country.

Roy Williams is a freakin' stud as well.

This football season is going to be fun.

------------------

14. haven

haven Member

But how does that schedule jive with the new BCS rules? Besides, OK, are any of those teams going to be Top 15? In the Big 12 title game... but other tan that?

I want BC to go 9-2 this year... I'm expecting losses to Miami and either Vtech or Notre Dame. I think we can beat either one, not both. Look for our RB William Green. He's a jr, and averaged almost 7 yards a carry last year and rushed for over 1000 yards despite being 2nd in the depth chart much of the year for disciplinary reasons.

------------------
    Clutchcity.net... source for all your Rockets, Astros, political, music, humor, and Gordita news.