1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Longhorn Network and The Culture of Greed

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, Oct 30, 2011.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I was a sports bar i hang out at and a texas fan asked me what station the game was on. I was like the WTF. anyway it sent me off on this rant about how the start of the longhorn network is the start of the end of the Big XII. of course this is well documented but i just never had connected it to the overall greed that is ruining this nation. the network is breaking up a tradition of an over 100 year rivalry, and for what, do the longhorns not have enough money.

when is it enough. I guess i really never thought about it. what really use to drive me crazy was the longhorn fans like you're gonna miss us, when clearly the longhorns will miss the aggies. what is ut gonna do with the extra money is it worth it. its no different from wall street ignoring the rest of the country. when does a since of do something for more than money come into play. i mean when our academic institutions become for profit driven, how far have we fallen. just some random thoughts

2. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Legitimate colleges don't make money, even UT. Too many suburban teenagers who care more about getting away from home than job training or intellectual development, so you have to provide a $50,000 a year lifestyle on a third of the revenue. And don't forget that 18-21 year olds are all idiots, so you need a staff of adults to manage their every move.

Most companies can shutter or delay production or relocate factories to manage their costs, a college has to provide the same services every year at the same location. And very few people give back to their school in any comparable fashion to the net value of the education or services they recieved there.

3. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Occupy DKR

4. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

didn't pgabriel go to A&M ?

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

no, and i'd think someone who rails on greed would put their allegiance aside like I am.

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

ut is one of the wealthiest colleges if not the wealthiest. they needed this?

7. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

FWIW Harvard has by far the biggest endowment at $27.5 billion. UT is 4th at $14 billion.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

UT simply did what was best for them given the circumstances. The Big 12 allowed them to create the network, that's the real crime in all of this. There isn't a school in the Big 12 that would have turned down that ESPN deal.

9. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

10. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

Even that is inaccurate. UT system is endowed as $14 billion. That's the sum total of the following:

The University of Texas at Arlington
    The University of Texas at Austin
    The University of Texas at Brownsville and Texas Southmost College
    The University of Texas at Dallas (Richardson)
    The University of Texas at El Paso
    The University of Texas at San Antonio
    The University of Texas at Tyler
    The University of Texas of the Permian Basin (Odessa)
    The University of Texas–Pan American (Edinburg)
    The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
    The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center (Houston)
    The University of Texas Health Science Center at Tyler
    The University of Texas Medical Branch (Galveston)
    The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center (Dallas)

You'd be hard-pressed to say that someone who goes to UTEP or UTSA is the same as a student at UT Austin.

FYI - The richest universities (as of end of fiscal year June 2010) are:

1. Harvard: $32 billion, up 21.4%
    2. Yale: $19 Billion, up 21.9%
    3. Princeton: $17.1 Billion, up 21.9%
    4. Stanford: $16.5 Billion, up 19.5%
    5. MIT: $9.9 Billion, up 17.9%
    6. Columbia: $7.8 Billion, up 23.6%
    7. Notre Dame: $7.3 Billion, up 21.5%
    8. University of Pennsylvania: $6.58 Billion, up 19%
    9. University of Chicago: $6.3 billion, up 18.8%
    10. Emory: $5 Billion, up 8.5%

source

The myth of UT wealth is based on the idea that the entire UT system is in Austin (it's not) and that the massive amount of money the football team generates is distributed evenly into the university coffers (for the most part, it's not).

#10 BetterThanI, Oct 31, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  11. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

The UT system also educated 100's of times the number of students at lower tuition rates than the other schools on the list.

12. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

Private universities still have the big money, but state universities are being run more and more like profit-driven machines with each passing year.

There's a reason almost all students will have thousands in debt before they finish.

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

don't know how it compares to other state institutions, ut at austin had basically $5BB in net worth, $6BB in assets and $1BB in debt as of 8/09

that's after the recession, they had a loss that year of $200MM. I'm sure the balance sheet is even better now.

14. Hightop

Hightop Member

Yes there is. Colleges know the students have access to low-interest loans courtesy of government. Aware that prospective students enjoy artificially increased purchasing power, college administrations raise tuition (and cut back their own aid programs) accordingly.

<iframe class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="385" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/esl7DoFEjtQ" frameborder="0">

</iframe>

15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

oh yeah, its not easy finding financial statements on even public schools.

16. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I looked it up earlier. I think it's like 190,000 students and the 31st largest system in the world and the 7th largest in the US.

1. University System of Ohio est. 2007 478,000
    2. State University of New York est. 1948 467,845
    3. California State University est. 1857 417,000
    4. University System of Georgia est. 1931 311,442
    5. City University of New York est. 1847 259,515
    6. University of California est. 1869 209,080
    7. University of Texas System est. 1881 190,000

17. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Actually they probably do. Every year the Leg cuts the funding to state universities in order to keep the taxes low on the 1%. They keep raising tuition so kids without wealthy parents have to borrow more and more.

One can argue about the value of big time sports at a university, but at least UT sports actually pay for themselves.

If nothing else why would you want to deprive the ladies of their tennis scholarships?

18. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

Not to mention the 10% rule, which at one point accounted for 81% of UT Austin incoming freshmen (now capped at 75%). By law, UT cannot turn away these students. They must be admitted. More students = more expeneses. And tution only covers so much.

19. dylan

dylan Contributing Member

The creation of the LHN was certainly a factor in A&M's decision to leave the conference but to state:

is simply laughable. Question: do you know when the LHN was created? Do you know which two universities had already left the Big 12 I look forward to you documenting this. Good thing you are objective...

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

yeah, but the network really fouled things up. i actually attended ut and that's where my loyalty lies even though graduating from uofh

but anyway, the only point is what is more valuable, the traditions or more money. did you see how much ut is worth

for what its worth, hospitals and universities are some of the most valuable institutions in this country