1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Long Shot: Some one please help me with my cats.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Ottomaton, Aug 16, 2001.

1. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have a problem. I realize that the chances that anyone will help me are minimal, but I feel that it is necessary to try.

I used to live in the Heights. At one point, for several days I noticed that there was an anemic looking cat/kitten outside my place, with a tail that had been broken in many places, and a emaciated, unhealthy look. Eventualy, one day comeing home from work, I purchaced an extra hamburger at Jack In The Box sans condiments for the cat. I still remember seeing the drool puddle on the floor, as she smelled the fresh cooked meat. Eventualy, I decided that I would kidnap her, in her "best intrests" because I loved her so much and I didn't want her to get hurt.

Unfortunately, without realizing it, I had kidnaped a pregnant cat. 5 Kittens later, I was overwhelemed, especially as my Asthmatic girlfriend was overwhelmed by the dander of 6 cats running around my appartment.

Eventually, after a great deal of heartache, I was able to give a friend two of the kittens. The other three, along with the mother cat, I kept. I love them to death. They are "Miss Kitty", "Miss Junior", "Patch", and "Coolio". They all have distinct, loveable, personalities, and it kills me to think of loosing any of them. Unfortunately, that is just what I must do. The 4 cats are slowly killing my asthmatic girlfriend, who I love a bit more than my cats.

I am hoping that someone from Clutch City might be looking for 1 or 2 cats. I would be willing to give them to someone, with the understanding that for any reason I would take them back at any time, no questions asked. If anyone has been seeking a cat, and would be intrested in one that is already 2.5 years old, please message me. I will be eternally greatful.

"Miss Kitty", the mother, I intend to keep. I promised myself that I would always take care of her when I kidnaped her, and I intend to keep that promise.

"Ms. Junior" was the firstborn. She is white, with black patches, and a solid black tail. As far as I can tell, she is the only known case of "Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder" that exists in cats. This manifests itself through her little fuzzy plastic balls, which she fetches incessently. Throw one, and moments later she will be back at your feet, mewing in the most pathetic fashon, wanting you to throw the ball again. She's not much on being rubbed, but she is a lot of fun.

"Patch" is the third born, a male with splotches of white and black evenly dispersed throughout his body. Patch is a sweetheart, as long as he doen't have to compete with other cats. An attention hound, he only wants to be loved and massaged, and be the only object of your affections. He also takes every avalable opportunity to beat the crap out of his younger brother, Coolio.

Coolio was the last born, the runt with a lazy eye. His markings are equaly distributed between white, and brown with black stripes. He's my 'special boy', sort of jumpy and paranoid, but as such, when he displays love, it is all the more special. He really loves to have his belly rubbed, and is so much fun to rub on, as he is overcome with pleasure and refuses to sit still.

These are my babies. I realise that they are not like kittens, overwhelmingly cute, or easy to find homes for. It kills me that I have to do it. If anyone is even remotely intrested, either respond in this thread, or e-mail me at the address under my profile.

Thank You,
    Ottomaton

:(

2. outlaw

outlaw Member

uh, are you sure you're straight? :)

i went to the HSPCA with a friend who wanted a kitty and we took one into those getting-to-know-you rooms and the thing was climbing me to the top of my head. the sharp little claws felt like paper cuts all over my skin. so i decided cats are not for me.

anyway, good luck trying to find them homes. maybe you should post some pics.

3. Ottomaton

Supporting Member

Hey, just because I'm a sensitive cat lover doesn't imply that I'm a nellie queen. ;) My girlfriend always takes the cats to the vets in montrose, because she says that gay couples treat their pets like normal couples treat their children. Because gay couples are incapable of producing offspring, they transfer those impulses onto their pets.

But, yes I'm streight, and I will try to post pictures to this page as soon as I am able to borrow a digital camera from someone. Thanks for the suggestion.

4. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

You're going to post pictures proving you are straight?

5. Ottomaton

Supporting Member

I'm sorry, my girfriend is busy giving me 'oral pleasure' and I can't get approval from her to post the proof, because I can't understand what she's saying. She seem to have something large in her mouth... :cool:

6. Colby

Colby Member

Cats kick ass. I like them better than dogs because you can leave for a couple of days, providing food and water of course, and come back without your place being trashed.

If you think I am gay, just ask your girlfriend/wife. :D

"I'm a mushroom cloud laying MF", SLJ.

7. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

Get rid of your girlfriend :) She'll dump you eventually, but the cats will stick with you through thick and thin . . . ;)

Seriously though, I would advise NOT to take them to any of the animal shelters in the Houston-area other than Special Pals. Last I heard, all of them were euthanazia-centers, and there's not a very good chance your kitties would survive and be adopted. I don't have the numbers any more, but they were quite staggering back when I was at Special Pals -- I think there are MANY MANY MANY more euthanized than adopted.

That's just something to think about. <a href="http://www.specialpals.org">Special Pals</a> is a no-kill shelter that I used to volunteer at. If you meet Salise or Nova, and drop my name (Mark Bazin), they'd remember me (well they better remember me!), and you might get a bit more priority. I don't know how the drop off status works any more, but if you tell them the story, I imagine they'd help you out. The shelter is usually just swamped with people needing to bring in animals. And the animals are treated very well there -- much better than any other shelter. The people are very cool, and extremely helpful.

Now, I've heard something about some newer no-kill shelters in Houston, but I haven't seen anything on them. Maybe someone has info? When I was working for Special Pals, it was the <i>only</i> no-kill shelter here.

If you've got other questions about the shelter, I'd be more than happy to help. Give them a call and they'll be able to help you out.

8. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

I was just checking the Special Pals website, and if you go <a href="http://www.specialpals.org/lostnfound.asp">here</a>, you'll find links to the other shelters in Houston. Apparently there are some new no-kill shelters.

9. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Boy, I feel your pain. My wife has mild asthma and we have umpteen cats and live in the Heights so I know EXACTLY what you are going through. I wish I had room for more, but when you are the "cat couple" on your block, it's bad enough. I'm currently staring at 4 asleep on my desk and one lying on my scanner and that's just the one's that are by me! :)

I'll ask around. Don't take them to a shelter unless you know for certain they are "no-kill". You might also consider the weekend adoption program at CAPS (Citizens for Animal Protection). You can take the cat(s) in on the weekend and leave them and if they aren't adopted, you take them back home until the next weekend. The CAPS website is http://www.cap4pets.org/ .

A couple of notes about cat allergies...

My wife was DEATHLY allergic when we got our first cat but she refused to give her up. (Note: she's one of the one's lying on my desk!). Anyway, there are a few things you can do to ease the cat dander problem even if you are in a relatively small space.

1. Make the bedroom a cat-free zone. We actually have two cat-free zones in the house, the bedroom and the kitchen. By keeping the bedroom in particular clear of cats, you can keep it free of dander.

2. Use air purifiers. You can put one in each of the more crucial areas - the cat-free bedroom, near the intake of the air conditioning and near the litter boxes.

3. Change the air filters on your a/c every 2 weeks. We do this and it really helps keep the cat crud out of the air. Also, consider having the ducts on your a/c cleaned out by a professional. It usually doesn't cost more than $100.

4. Vacuum/Sweep on a regular basis. We do that twice every week pretty much throughout the house.

5. Try homeopathic remedies for allergies at Whole Foods. Maybe rockHEAD can help with this one! :) My wife used homeopathic cat allergy relief and it helped tremendously. She used to break out when a cat rubbed on her or sneeze profusely when around cat hair. Now, none of that bothers her at all. Personally, I think she willed it a bit as well, but the homeopathic stuff can be very effective.

Hope that helps! Best of luck to you!

10. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Most cats act like that in the beginning. You need to take the kitty home to get to know them. It's very rare for a kitty to not love their owner.

Frasier and Niles love me to death. :)

11. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Just to add a couple of thoughts too Jeff's list.

1) if you bath your cats often (as much as 1 per week, at least every 2 weeks), you may find that reduces a lot of the allergy provoking dander. This really helps a lot of couples/families in your predicament.

You can get cat shampoo at the store. Cats will never like going through a bath, but if you have lots of towels around and have them in a secure place they will tolarate it (e.g., a big sink with a tray or something where they can hold on to, try to poor pales of water versus furiously using a faucet). Also, I have found they are pretty happy about 3 hours afterward, the do naturally like to be really clean after all.

2) your girlfriend may want to consider allergy shots. If cats are her only problem that might be a tough sell, but it she has problems wth molds (Houston is bad for these), mites or pollens she might want to consider it anyways. The year before I went on shots living in Houston besides generally not being as healthy I got 3 brutal sinus infections from allergy-related complications. My 3 last years after in Houston after allergy shots were used to aid my immune system, I got zero such infections. Just a thought anyway.