1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Living with Wisdom tooth?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RocketsRed14, Dec 27, 2013.

1. RocketsRed14

RocketsRed14 Member

So I'd say about a month ago I started to get a bad toothache in the very back of the top row of my teeth with a small cut slightly above the gumline (sorry if that was kind of hard to comprehend). Anyways, I lived with that pain for about a week until I decided to do some research and I came to the conclusion that it might be my wisdom tooth coming. It fit the description of this photo: [​IMG]
    I have letter 'A' which is a Mesio-impacted, partially erupted mandibular third molar(according to wiki) and 'C' which is an inflamed operculum. but it's where Letter 'D' is ssupposed to be, on the top. I decided to fight through the pain for a couple weeks and next thing you know the pain and swelling disappears. The operculum is still there, but hardened like the rest of my gum and the tooth is still shorter than the rest just no pain.

So is it possible to live with your wisdom tooth without future pain? Or do you think it was something else? Is the wisdom tooth just teething but people can't live with the couple weeks of pain and just get it removed?
    I'm one of those people who won't go to the doctor/dentist unless it's severe so I'd like to ask clutchfans for their medical diagnosis based on what I've said.

2. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

My wisdom teeth all came in and fit in my mouth. I didn't feel any pain, or any of the complications you are feeling. They grew in exact as my adult teeth grew in.

I'd say in your case it would not be possible to keep your wisdom teeth without having future dental problems.

3. Wapzoe

Wapzoe Member

On a side note, when my wisdom teeth were removed, i had 1 day recovery and no noticeable swelling and went on holiday the next day absolutely fine (no weeks holed up as a chipmunk).

So if you are worried about missing work/study or w/e, it is not always the case

4. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

paging rezdawg.

5. RocketsRed14

RocketsRed14 Member

The tooth is still pretty short so I can't tell if it'll fit into the rest. Right now it does, but half the length of my other teeth.

I'm worried about my wallet and bank account lol :p

My thoughts exactly.

6. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

My wisdom teeth started hurting pretty bad, so I got them removed. I was lucky and got an awesome dentist who dropped the tooth and it fell into my lungs.

7. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

WTH, is it still there?

8. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I only had 2 wisdom teeth on my bottom jaw, which were pushing my teeth together....so of course they were removed.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I had mine until my mid 40s, when I got a cavity and the dentist said just take them all out.

Never bothered me until then.

DD

10. aeroman10

aeroman10 Contributing Member

I only had wisdom teeth on the bottom only as well and they were kind of sideways and not fully out so after years of putting up with it I had them removed.

Complexity of the procedure and recovery depends on person to person.
    If your wisdom teeth are fully out then its probably a fairly simple procedure and easy recovery but for those whose wisdom teeth are still below the gum line and are not straight then they will have to sedate you and obviously cut your gums and as you can imagine it will suck afterwards.

11. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

If its impacted, it may begin to damage the other tooth. You may not feel the damage until its too late. Definitely have it looked at by a dentist and get their opinion. I'd rather spend some money now, than a lot more money later.

12. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

Mine are under the gum laying down and crowding teeth. The 3 people I know that had them removed said it was the worst experience ever. I'm going to nut up and do it eventually.

13. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

What is wrong with you? Stop asking a basketball message board for medical advice and go see a doctor.

14. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

15. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

*dentist*

1 person likes this.
  16. MIAGI99

MIAGI99 Member

Yeah I think you are on point with your assessment IMO. It's just teething and eventually the gums will give way if you can live through the pain/inflammation. I had issues off and on for about a year with gums inflating. I got mine when I was younger and been living with it for years now. It's not affecting my other teeth, no pain, and no more inflammation in that area so I have not gone to dentist for it either. They will remain uneven though, but that is not a big issue.

17. TexasStake

TexasStake Member

my teeth are so crooked that my wisdom teeth had room to just come right in. dont know if i should put :( or :)

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I have mine. Teeth are straight. I think many, maybe most people might need them removed. But I also think that 95% of dentists will tell you to remove them regardless of whether you need them removed or not.

It's a money grab scheme. "Oh yeah bro, I see you have decent insurance here, nice, by the way bro, you need these wisdom teeth removed or you'll die, let me get my note tablet out of my Tesla. Oh yeah, this is gonna hurt like a mother****er and totally **** you but I get your insurance's money and you pay for it so you might as well use it, bro."

19. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

The reason that most Dentists tell you to remove your Wisdom teeth, even if they "fit", is that they are so hard to take care of, they usually get taken out eventually anyways, full of cavities.

20. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Ditto. Let them grow out and see if they are causing any problems, ie cosmetic deformities or significant pain. Otherwise keep 'em.

People these days act as though certain kinds of high technology are a requirement for life. It's like, what were human beings DOING before the 1950's when this surgery was invented??? They must have just eked out terrible existences.