1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

List of currently available 2019 free agents

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Jul 2, 2019.

1. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

[Print without images][​IMG]

Monday, July 22, 2019
    Ranking the 15 best remaining NBA free agents
    By Kevin Pelton
    ESPN.com

[​IMG]
    Jeremy Lin's scoring efficiency and playmaking could make him a match for a team looking to fill a specific need.
    Which remaining NBA free agents should your favorite team be targeting?

Believe it or not, Sunday marked three weeks since the start of free agency. With the market moving faster than ever before, nearly all the rotation-caliber players available have already found homes.

By this point in the process, teams are looking to fill specific needs to complete their rosters, so rather than ranking the best available free agents overall, I've highlighted the top players in specific categories that teams might desire. Let's take a look:

Best backup PGs
    1. Jeremy Lin

Lin played only 27 minutes in the playoffs after signing with the eventual champion Raptors via buyout to give them insurance at point guard. Before that, Lin bounced back from a ruptured patella tendon to provide solid play for the Hawks off the bench behind rookie Trae Young. He best combines efficiency as a scorer and playmaking of any of the point guards left unsigned.

2. Trey Burke

The 27.1 points per 100 possessions Burke averaged last season are the most of any remaining free agent who finished the 2018-19 season on an NBA roster and played at least 250 minutes. Predictably, Burke's unsustainably hot shooting from midrange during 36 games with the Knicks in 2017-18 regressed to the mean, leaving him below average in terms of efficiency. Burke is always going to be a score-first point guard, and his size makes him a weak defender. Nonetheless, there should be a place for Burke somewhere in the league.

3. Jamal Crawford

There's a huge drop-off in terms of traditional point guards after the top two remaining. Crawford doesn't fit into that category, but he did average a career-high 9.0 assists per 100 possessions last season at age 39. The three-time Sixth Man Award winner showed in April he has plenty left in the tank, averaging 31.3 points and 5.8 assists in the four games he played in the season's final month -- including 51 points in Phoenix's season finale.

Best wing shooters
    1. JR Smith

As recently as 2017-18, Smith shot 37.5% from beyond the arc during the regular season and 36.7% in the playoffs as the Cavaliers reached to the NBA Finals. Following LeBron James' departure, Smith was deactivated 11 games into 2018-19 as Cleveland moved into rebuilding mode. For a contending team willing to live with Smith's occasional lapses in attention, his shooting makes him a useful rotation piece.

2. Furkan Korkmaz

Korkmaz reportedly agreed to return to his native Turkey with Fenerbahce in late June, but no deal has been announced and Korkmaz might prioritize staying in the NBA if it's possible. Korkmaz had solid moments during his second season in Philadelphia and won't turn 22 until later this week, giving him time to improve on 32% 3-point shooting thus far in his NBA career.

3. RJ Hunter

At 17.0 PPG, Hunter was the leading 2018-19 scorer among remaining free agents. Granted, that average was compiled in one game, the season finale. However, Hunter was also effective at the G League level over a much larger sample. Though he has never become a highly accurate 3-point shooter, Hunter has ranked in the G League's top 10 in made 3s each of the past two seasons while showing impressive playmaking for a wing (4.0 APG in 2018-19).

Best wing defenders
    1. Iman Shumpert

After a recent spate of signings, Shumpert's nearly 1,500 minutes last season are the most of any remaining free agent. He started 40 of the 42 games he played in Sacramento before a midseason trade to Houston, where he played a sizeable role for the Rockets in the playoffs. If he can keep his 3-point percentage near the 35% he hit last season, Shumpert is a capable role player.

2. Wayne Selden

A dogged defender whose style fit in well with the Memphis Grizzlies' grit-and-grind mentality, Selden struggled offensively in his most extended NBA playing time last season. He shot just 32% on 3s and posted a true shooting percentage worse than 50. Selden still averaged 23 minutes after a midseason trade to Chicago because of his defensive effort and could be useful providing energy in a limited role.

3. Justin Anderson

Across three NBA stops, Anderson has consistently put up strong rates of steals and blocks while defending both forward positions. Unfortunately, the "3" part of the 3-and-D equation is lacking. Anderson is a career 30% 3-point shooter, which makes it difficult for him to contribute in an off-ball role. Anderson might best be deployed situationally against physical wings or athletic 4s.

Best stretch bigs
    1. Vince Carter

As he has entered his 40s, Carter has morphed from a high-flying wing player to a frontcourt option thanks to his strength. According to my analysis of lineup data from NBA Advanced Stats, 94% of Carter's minutes last season were played as a power forward. There, Carter's 3-point shooting (39% on 316 attempts in 2018-19) is an enormous positive. Given Carter would be entering his 22nd season in the NBA, a sudden drop-off is always possible. For now, though, Carter is one of the top remaining free agents.

2. Jonas Jerebko

Don't be discouraged by Jerebko's postseason, when he shot 26% from 3-point range and 29% overall on 42 shots. During the regular season, Jerebko was far more effective for the Warriors. Over his past two seasons, including 2017-18 with the Utah Jazz, Jerebko shot 39% on 3s while providing reasonable defense at power forward.

3. Pau Gasol

Over the past three seasons, Gasol has hit 105 triples at a 44% clip. At 39, he's no longer mobile enough to be an effective pick-and-roll defender, but Gasol's skill has scarcely faded if a team is willing to live with the defensive hit.

Best defensive bigs
    1. Joakim Noah

Following his preseason release by the Knicks, Noah landed with Memphis in December and was effective as a backup big the rest of the season. Noah still reads the game as well as anyone and was in better shape to execute on that knowledge. Noah's 52% shooting on 2-point attempts was his best since 2011-12 and he remains a capable defensive anchor in limited minutes.

2. Thabo Sefolosha

Noah is perhaps the only above-average defensive center left unsigned, so the other options in this spot are quality defensive 4s who can provide switching versatility. Sefolosha has made the same move along the positional spectrum from wing to power forward as Carter. He hit 41% of his 3s in that role during two seasons in Utah, though I'm inclined to believe that somewhat fluky given Sefolosha is at 35% for his career. His ability to defend multiple positions and rack up steals (his 3.3 per 100 plays were most among players who had at least 150 minutes of action in 2018-19) are more likely to travel to a new team.

3. Lance Thomas

Like Sefolosha, Thomas is a combo forward who can take a variety of frontcourt defensive assignments. Thomas isn't the same kind of offensive contributor, slipping to 28% 3-point shooting last season after three years north of 40% beyond the arc. Only once in five seasons with the Knicks did Thomas post a true shooting percentage better than 52%.

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/27236532/ranking-15-best-remaining-nba-free-agents

2. HP3

HP3 Member

Vince Carter being listed as a "stretch big" is also....well a stretch.

Edit:....Wow, i def should have read that wholly before posting this, oh well. Either way, not a lot of desirables on this list. :(

3. bratna8

bratna8 Member

Give me:

Burke
    Forkmaz
    Vince Carter

From the list above

4. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

5. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Furkan seems like a good get, esp considering he shot around 39% from corner 3s (granted it was over 26 attempts vs 123 ish attempts from top of the key). also if he does something good we could say "this guy is furkan good" OR if he messes up, we can say, "are you forkan kidding me?" That alone is worth a min offer.
    would also take vince if I could just because I think we need more veterans to keep harden and westbrook aligned kinda like mutumbo used to do. Tyson can use the help.

also lets trade for Covington already

don grahamleone and ilias like this.
  6. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

Sign VC and call it a day. Then wait for the buyout market.

7. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yes. My mistake. Thank you DG

don grahamleone likes this.
  8. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

Is Lance Thomas a complete scrub? He has always seemed decent enough and he has good measurables with a 7’3 wingspan. I haven’t watched enough of him to truly know his weaknesses. He just seems like a decent option if all else fails.

9. D-rock

D-rock Member

AR or Uthoff would be good cheap additions at need position.

So would Jakkar Sampson.

10. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He is a good defensive player, who is coming back from an injury. He kinda reminds me of Luc. I wouldn't mind him, if he is fit.

ApacheWarrior and BaselineFade like this.
  11. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I don’t get your Edit. It does say he is a stretch big which doesn’t make sense.

HP3 likes this.
  12. HP3

HP3 Member

Well, according to the data in the article it said 94% of Carter's minutes were spent at PF last season. And apparently according to justtxyank in another thread Carter was actually a positive on defense. I still would certainly not put him at PF whatsoever but....I cant exactly scoff when Im presented with data. Well at the very least I certainly dont think he would help our defense whatsoever, him being a positive on defense seems like a lot of noise to me imo.

don grahamleone likes this.
  13. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

That’s crazy. Wouldn’t have labelled Thabo as a 4 either.

HP3 likes this.
  14. cheke64

cheke64 Member

VC a stretch big!

*insert im done Seinfield gif*

15. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Doesn’t make a difference. He got time and produced.

16. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Confirmed. Holic deals with Chapo cuz those names just made me laugh lol.

Fulgore and BeardNation13 like this.
  17. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Faster than Paul Nene Capela and Chandler. Lol.

18. basketballholic

He does have that defensive intensity you like to see. Willing to mix it up and scrap. And his 3- ball is improving. Could be one of those guys that comes out of nowhere to be a significant contributor to a perennial playoff contender for several years. Like him. And definitely worthy of a 2- year minimum salary deal.

D-rock likes this.
  19. basketballholic

Another idiot playing here for free.

Make a donation.

20. BeardNation13

BeardNation13 Member

It's crazy you're still on that Dekker bandwagon. Dude is a scrub. No upside. End of

saleem likes this.