1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Lidge] Starter Game 6: Pete Munro

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by chrisjent, Oct 19, 2004.

1. bigballerj

bigballerj Member

I'm not sure if anybody else brought this up but....What's the weather gonna be like Wednesday Night?

If there is a rainout, then its Clemens (Game 6) and Oswalt (Game 7) both on full rest. :)

2. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I really don't like this move at all. I feel that Clemens' advantage of an extra day of rest for a possible game 7 will be neutralized by the euphoria surrounding a game 7. Clemens was brought here to win games like this. This could be his last year. I say throw your best player out there. Munro's stuff is horrible, and the Cardinals hitters have seen it in game 2 already.

3. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Don't count Munro out. He pitched well in game 2. Why are we assuming he's going to get shelled?

4. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Thank You. During a Game 7 you have to throw out all the matchups and records. If St. Louis wins game 6 they go into game 7 with ALL the momentum. Busch Stadium will be a packed house with a sea of red.

You have to bring all the guns, and Pete Munro has NO business starting a critical NLCS game.

5. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

No offense, but Pete Munro is no Brandon Backe. I don't like the idea of having him go up against Walker, Pujols, Rolen, Edmonds. Those guys must be salivating over getting the chance to face a soft tosser like Munro.

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

baqui -- roger, on short rest, has already shown you that he only gives you about 5 innings. that's not really getting a roger clemens start. and still leaves you with 4 innings to be accounted for.

you pay roger to start the game 7...to go out there with the rest necessary to throw 8 innings or so. to shut them down and turn the game right over to lidge. he can't do that on 3 days rest. he just can't. thus, as i've said before, you're handicapping your strengths.

7. MadMax

he did just fine against those guys in game 2.

8. Nashvegas

Nashvegas Contributing Member

Day

Cloudy

High
    68°F

Precip
    0%

Wind: NE 6 mph
    Max. Humidity: 87%
    UV Index: 3 Moderate

Sunrise: 7:16 AM CT
    Avg. High: 68°F
    Record High: N/A°F (N/A)

Night

Partly Cloudy
    Overnight Low
    55°F

Precip
    0%

Wind: ENE 4 mph
    Max. Humidity: 99%

Sunset: 6:15 PM CT
    Avg. Low: 48°F
    Record Low: N/A°F (N/A)

9. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Momentum is as good as your next game's starter. Even if we were to lose game 6, I have all the confidence in the world that Roger Clemens can outpitch Jeff Suppan in a game 7, who the Stros lit up like a Christmas tree this season.

10. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

i would prefer to see clemens but it also makes sense to give him full rest. if it were me i'd pitch clemens with oswalt for game 7. talk about setting up your starters for the WS just makes me too nervous. we have to win this series first.

11. MadMax

i hear ya...but pitching clemens or oswalt on short rest means we're probably looking at 4 innings of this bullpen in BOTH games. this team simply can't afford that, right now.

12. PhiSlammaJamma

If we had a 5-2 Lead in the 6th I'd strongly consider letting Oswalt pitch an inning or two to get us out of any trouble wheeler might get into.

13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I'd much rather have Rocket pitch game 7 with an extra days rest. What happens if we pitch Rocket on 3 days rest for game 6 and then lose? We'd be forced to pitch Roy-O for game 7 on 3 days rest.

14. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I agree. We cannot look past this current series. These two games could go either way. We have to win one. As far as I'm concerned, we do whatever it takes and then worry about match-ups in the next series if and once we clinch.

I originally wanted to go with Clemens due to his experience. But, I have enough faith that things will work out. I think we are playing team ball and that is how we have to win...by executing as a team. That means offense, defense, and pitching. It's what has delivered us this far. All Munro needs to do is come out with that same mentality he had his last game while keeping the ball down. He had pretty good stuff so I hope for more of the same. At the very least, I expect him to keep them in check. Then, I would go with a Wheeler and Lidge 1 - 2 punch! Meanwhile, our offense has to know the opposing pitcher is a nerve ball waiting to explode and our bats are the TNT.

15. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

But so far, Wheeler hasn't been in any trouble. He's been getting the job done.

Wheeler -

W- 1
    L - 0
    ERA - 0.00
    Games - 3
    Innings - 5.0
    Hits - 2
    Earned Runs - 0
    Runs - 0
    BB - 0
    K - 7

Miceli, Qualls, and Harville

- Combined Average ERA - 30.00
    - Combined Runs Given Up - 9 - ALL EARNED
    - Combined Hits Given Up - 9

Hopefully Wheeler doesn't prove me wrong.

16. wizard

wizard Member

Good move...as i expected...no pt in puttting clemens out there and him going 5 innings and letting the bullpen try to win or maintain this one..............

17. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

yep. both choices have valid points. but for me this looks like we are rolling the dice with munro and if that doesn't work out depending on clemens. i'd rather depend on clemens and oswalt, or i guess one of the two performing on 3 days rest.

18. PhiSlammaJamma

Cagey veteran Backe needs to talk to Munro tonight and walk him through how to pitch a critical playoff game ;)

19. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Contributing Member

What if Munro pitched a shutout and nobody came?

20. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

I love how no one on this earth is giving Munro a chance. It's like they expect Cardinals hitters to play big tomorrow only because Munro is a nobody on the mound.

I think Clemens pitching Game 7 is going to be a moot point because the Astros are going to step up.

To Quote Tiger Woods on Rome's show

Busch Stadium looks good
    their swings feel good
    I like the astros chances