1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Lidge] Starter Game 6: Pete Munro

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by chrisjent, Oct 19, 2004.

1. chrisjent

chrisjent Member

During Lidge's interview on the Dan Patrick Show he let the cat out of the bag. Munro to start.

2. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

hmmm just like a lot of people thought. Bring in Munro to start....then have a fully rested Roger Clemens for game 7. If it goes to game 7 of course.

But then again if you can get to Morris early in the game like they did the first time i think we will be fine. we have a lot of momentum right now and their bullpen is shaky with Kline being gone and now Tavarez pulling a kevin brown and breaking his hand.

Looks like our bullpen is starting to step it up .... at least the one time we brought in Wheeler.

3. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

They just said the most significant player in the playoffs is next. Are they talking about Lidge?

4. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Bring it on, Munroooooooooooo!

Just end it in Game 6 and move us onto the WS! :cool:

5. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

Yeah, it must be Lidge.

chrisjent must have been listening to the online feed of the Dan Patrick show...or not in Houston. We get Dan Patrick on a 1 hour tape delay.

6. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Good thing about this is that the moment Munro starts struggling, give him the hook and bring in the Rocket.

7. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

Nope, thats the whole point of starting Munro. Clemens isn't going to pitch on 3 days rest. Dan Wheeler should log a few innings tomorrow.

8. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Yeah the whole point is to have Clemens on full rest for game 7 and then you have Oswlat full rest for Game 1 of the WS....that's why he is going with that. Becuase if he went Clemens and Oswlat in 6 and 7 then it would cause another problem for us in Game 1 and 2 of the WS

9. JPM0016

I don't think it has anything to do with the world series. It has everything to do with Clemens and Oswalt struggling when pitching on 3 days rest. I think the rotation for the world series is the least of their worries at this point.

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

good call. don't handicap your strengths. you have to win one of these games....doesn't matter which one. you want one of your aces at full strength for at least one of these games. pitching munro tomorrow allows you to do that.

GO ASTROS!

11. Baqui99

What if Pete Munro goes out and gets shelled in the 2nd inning? Do you stay with him, or do you go to Roger.

12. JPM0016

You go to your bullpen.

13. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

And the bullpen just consists of Wheeler and then bring on Lidge. Just leave Munro in for a good 7 innings and the Wheeler/Lidge combo can handle the rest.

14. Baqui99

Qualls and Harville have already shown that they're ineffective. We need to bring out all the guns.

15. JPM0016

If Munro is getting shelled in Game 6, why waste Clemens? He's a dominate Cy Young caliber pitcher on normal rest; why jeapordize that in Game 6?

In game 7 you'll see Clemens start with Oswalt and Lidge in relief.

16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

agreed..that would be quite impressive!!

but, man, i hope they win it in 6!!!!!! i'm not sure i could survive a game 7.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Game 6 if Munro starts losing it, depending on the score, it is bullpen redemption time for Qualls, Micelli, and Springer.

The funny thing is that no one is talking about our offense, they can completely take all the worry of the game away by shelling St. Louis pitching.

I hope it is a repeat of game 5 in Atlanta.

11-4 Stros.

DD

18. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

Lidge was funny as hell.

19. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Gallo and Springer have gotten zero time thus far in the LCS. I can almost see that with Springer, since he got lit up in both games he pitched vs. Atlanta. But I'm not sure what Gallo did to deserve the spot in the doghouse. He was effective in 2 of his 3 outings versus the Braves, and gave up a meaningless run in the third.

20. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Starting Munro with the possibility of bringing Clemens would be, no offense, amazingly stupid. If you are going to waste Clemens with only 3 days of rest, don't do after the team has already been shelled. There are really only two options: (1) Start Clemens and hope he gives you 6+ solid innings (not likely since we haven't gotten more than 5 in all of our 3 day rest starts so far), or (2) start Munro and hope he gives you what Backe did (or close to it) and if he gets shelled only use the regular bullpen.

The only case you may see Clemens or Oswalt tomorrow is if, say, the Stros are up two, Munro is spent, it is the seventh inning and Garner really doesn't want to go to Lidge until the 8th, he may give Roger or Roy an inning or two then to bridge to Lidge, but even then I doubt it.