1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Let's Talk Cars

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DonnyMost, May 30, 2018.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Probably couldn't get a used Civic si for that dollar amount. Maybe a Suburu WRx... hat would be a fun project car that would be able to scoot.

2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I have been thinking a Stinger would be a fun car to replace my 08 G35.

donkeypunch likes this.
  3. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

7 series is straight trash can. There may not be a more crappier car you could buy. It is a lemon waiting to happen.

I like cars new. Just my preference but our two cars didn't plummet as soon as I drove it off of the lot. In fact, the insurance company gave me enough to buy another Lexus RX350 new after my wife totaled it one year in.

The reason you don't want to buy new is because you like German. A disaster waiting to happen right after you get out of warranty plus the depreciation is way worse than other cars.

BleedsRocketRed likes this.
  4. Roscoe Arbuckle

You haven’t a clue. Had my car 3 years and have only put $1200 in maintenance costs.

5. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Yes I do. 7 series = lemon waiting to happen

BleedsRocketRed likes this.
  6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Does that include everything or just parts you've replaced?

7. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Depends on the years, and if you're willing to work on them. Would I own one? No... But there's certain years that were way worse than others (as far as Lemons). Hell iirc one had a timing chain with plastic guides where the engine destroys itself pretty much... I'm pretty sure that's no longer an issue but I'll gladly work on one for 1/4 to 1/2 what the dealer would charge haha.

sammy likes this.
  8. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, if it threw a rod on mobil 1 like that... Hopefully the new engine is a newer design

9. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

CVT is awful for sure... Anyone with a cvt regardless of make/model should research adding a 2ndary transmission cooler.. Such a POS design.

10. Roscoe Arbuckle

One was an engine issue and the other was to change the power steering. Also helps that I have a mechanic friend. It runs like a top. So much so that it will continue to be my daily driver for now. I'm looking more into also having a weekend car.

11. KingCheetah

[​IMG]

These black rims don't look bad with red paint, but in Black, Charcoal, or White it would really look nice -- that's my preference anyway. I'm not a huge fan of the stock rims so these would be a must have option.

12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

It really is due to depending on increasing and decreasing the diameter of a god damn pully to acheive those "infinite gear ratios". Obviously a pully cannot handle the torque load that a conventional helical or planatery gear can handle thus they are only useful in low torque economy cars.

13. KingCheetah

They have improved the CVT (I still wouldn't get one) -- the 2.0 auto is a 10 speed with paddles that is actually faster than the manual.
    _____

By their nature, CVTs are easy to despise. Their simple design has an elegance to it, but without the stepped, distinct shifts of a conventional transmission, the engine makes a beeline for its torque peak, where it drones on as speed builds. Fortunately, CVTs work better with modern turbocharged engines like the Honda 1.5T that have broad torque curves so that there’s usually adequate grunt on hand even at lower engine speeds. Honda pushes that advantage even further in the Accord’s CVT by building in virtual gear steps that produce a more natural engine note during acceleration.

It’s not that there’s no droning sound as the Accord accelerates, but Honda has done a good job of tamping down that irritation. Yes, we prefer the conventional 10-speed automatic that Honda uses with the turbocharged 2.0-liter engine, but Honda’s implementation of a CVT is among the best.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2018-honda-accord-15t-automatic-test-review

14. KingCheetah

I've heard nothing but good things about the Stinger, but I just couldn't buy a Kia. I know it's just a Hyundai under the skin, but as much good as i've heard about the car i've never heard anything good about Kia service or sales.

15. fchowd0311

Couple of things that irk me about the Stinger.

It's a "performance rwd sedan" without a manual option and to keep costs down they opted for a all steel chassis construction with no aluminum or other weight saving materials so the vehicle is pretty heavy compared to your BMW rwd sedans of similar size.

16. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I don't know man. Korean cars have come a long way since that once labeled bad reputation. I believe both Kia and Hyundai both offer 10 yr- 100,000 mile warranties. I don't see how you can beat that.

The only downside of the stinger is the fact that it doesn't have a standard option(which sucks). I think you mentioned that in the previous post.

17. KingCheetah

I agree Hyundai/ Kia/ Genesis have come light years in quality, but Kia in particular are known for really shitty sales and service. So when it does break you're going to have a hassle.

18. fchowd0311

Weight also. It's all steel. I want my performance rwd cars light as possible. You are going to have to Shell out more dough though for a BMW that uses aluminum I guess.

19. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Right def agree, but in the early nissans 07-12 iirc there was no cooler except a simple run through the radiator (really shitty run too) and all cvts in all cars around that time were pretty much coming from one manufacturer... I don't know now .. But basically without that external cooler in a hotter climate or on a longer drive (for example in a Sentra/Altima) the trans fluid would burn up and the shitty cvt design would fail.. Usually showing solenoid errors with whining noise from pulley design.

Here's semi recall about cooler, but they still want you to pay for the kit (ripoff since you buy a basic cooler for $40) https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjACegQIBRAB&usg=AOvVaw2h4gcu4lNzIWc6qrKJG5Xd

And now new lawsuit, haha https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2018/nissan-cvt-cooling-system-lawsuit.shtml

20. likestohypeguy

Hope the black wheels trend goes away soon. I understand lots of people like them now, but looks like some makes/models they're the only option available.