1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Let's Talk Cars

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DonnyMost, May 30, 2018.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

You should consider the Porsche 911 991.2 gt3 2018 model as it comes in a manual of it's within your budget.

I mean it revs to 9000rpm... That's all you need to know.

The Accord might be more practical and have better fuel economy .

[​IMG]

Killatron 2000 likes this.
  2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

It was. Admittedly it was too bold. I was young, reckless, and not yet jaded to life's cruelties. This was pre-Scott Foster ****ing the Rockets.

Killatron 2000 likes this.
  3. lpbman

lpbman Member

I'm curious how much you're looking at spending total for the lease term?

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

My ideal lease structure would be 36 MO 10k miles and zero down at $300 a month

5. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

I remember that thread and I honestly tried to find it.

My Google skills are weak.

6. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Can you elaborate on this a little?

I test drove a Sport but not a touring. Wasn't sure what differences I should be looking for. 1.5 inches in step in height is significant.

7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The sport is basically lowered a little with a firmer ride - the 2.0 is jokingly called the Accord 'R' because of the detuned engine. The main thing is it gets rid of wheel well gap that you would normally have to buy lowering springs to do. I haven't driven a 2018 yet - I did drive a 2017 and the ride is nice - it's not harsh like a Mustang or something similar. The 2.0 turbo is ridiculously quick with the manual - right around 5 seconds to sixty - governor limits it to 125 mph I believe.

8. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

To the original OP

Stick with the Accord. I'm currently an owner of a 2015 Kia Soul + that my wife mainly drives. It currently sits at about 54k on the odometer. Not 2 weeks ago it through a rod. Luckily, it is still under warranty and I am getting a brand new engine. Kia customer service is top notch. The kicker though is, my car is 10! in line to get a brand new engine replacement. Stay as far away as you can. These things aren't as reliable as people assume.

Now the Soul has been relatively maintenance free, but this car will by my last (also first) Kia.

9. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Was she stranded?

Bearings and oil are some pretty well understood technologies, I wonder why they have a problem. Was the dealer doing the oil changes?

10. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

I was driving it when the rod went. Engine went into fail-safe and died. Dealer wasn't doing maintenance. I do it all myself, I typically don't like the quality of parts/lubricants most dealerships use, let alone trust the dude making $15/hr to do the job correctly. The engine received full synthetic Mobil 1 oil with Mobil 1 filters. The oil was still completely gold when the rod went, literally only had a few hundred miles on it from the last change.

They wouldn't divulge information when I asked about why there were so many other Kia's needing full engine replacements.

11. KingCheetah

Honda 'borrowed' the design for their new Accord heavily from Audi -- smart move really.

Rox11 likes this.
  12. Roscoe Arbuckle

Never will understand buying new or leasing. My late bmw 740il has been a workhorse and I plan on keeping it. Right now looking at a SL55 amg as a fun weekend car. Found a nice '05 with 50k miles for under $20k.

13. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Brother got the accord, it looks great but it rides really stiff especially on the highway, I’m going to trade my daily, civic ‘13 for maybe a Mazda, has anyone had any troubles with mazdas lately?

14. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Nice pic of an E30. Is that yours?

15. KingCheetah

[​IMG]

I should have included a comparison picture.

16. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

That's the sport, right?

I'm still really curious how the Sport feels/rides vs. the Touring.

The step-in/seating height is about 2 inches lower on the Sport vs. the Touring (and almost every other sedan), that feels like it would be a negative to me as a tall guy with bad knees :(

17. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

[​IMG]
    Is also making waves in 2018.

KingCheetah likes this.
  18. KingCheetah

There was plenty of room in the 2017 (I'm 6' 2") and the 2018 has a larger interior. I did need to lower the seat all the way down for proper headroom, but I have a long torso so it's more like someone about 6' 4" in the seat. You should just go down to the dealership and ask to take one for the weekend - they only have the CVT auto though for loaners and that transmission is not for me.

DonnyMost likes this.
  19. marky :)

marky :) Member

Anyone have recommendations for a project car for a beginner?

Some "requirements" I've listed to help me out.

1. Starting vehicle must be running and less than $4-5k
    2. Already know I'm not going to be building/restoring/customizing a car to show room quality.
    3. Other than installing bolt-on parts in the past, don't have any other experience.
    4. Looking to learn more mechanic skills while trying to build a fun to me weekend car than rushing something.
    5. More than likely something I can take to the track: autox etc
    6. Yes, I've considered a miata but don't want one.

20. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

No trouble. Nothing but brake pads etc on my 6. And the wife's cx5 did have a bearing go bad at 33,000 miles, but they fixed it under waranty.

We've been happy. The cars look great IMO (love the design).