1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lets Settle This... What Would YOU Do With Our Team Right Now

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tc0330, Jul 8, 2019.

1. johnk2220

johnk2220 Member

I think so too. They have a solid team.

2. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Was that supposed to be a comeback, Captain Hindsight?

In hindsight, it wasn't very good.

3. PersianRocket

PersianRocket Member

Dwight’s a much different player now and considering he’d be a bench defender to play 15-20 minutes a game I’d take it. Also Lance wouldn’t play heavy minutes. More of an insurance guy who can play the 1-3. Considering there’s very few guards available for cheap at the moment, he could be our best bet.

4. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Dwight Howard is not welcome on many teams in the NBA, but especially not one led by James Harden.

5. ClearLakeTX

ClearLakeTX Member

Well you asked right now after literally everyone has been signed.

6. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Again with this, every season. Whatever you suggest:

If it doesn't suit the jury, it sucks.
    If it does suit them, then there was no way to do it.

What's the point of this exercise? At this point in our plan, not being considered a favorite to win it is a failure. We were sitting on a team that took Durant's Warriors to 7.

The following summer we lost players to unmatchable money and chronic injury. At that point, the GM can only be judged by their contingency plan. Well the contingency plan was a total failure and cost us seeding and mileage on Hardens body and with the series within reach again, the coaches didn't have the motivational tools to make their players do something exceptional.

This summer is just more corrosion. Players were oldest in the league and getting older. No significant changes. Not enough assets (Knights expiring, our pick) in order to make a big trade that doesn't compromise our core. Has to spend most of the MLE on a guy they could have locked up last season. Steering us into a coaching catastrophe. All the players insecure about their future.

It's not good. Morey has been excellent most of his time here, but since last summer he has been utter garbage at everything but saving tax dollars and he got an extension. I'd be shocked if he would even assess himself as having done a good job.

The rest of this summer must not go the way last summer did. We are not on a good path. We are unlikely to be better than last season based on age alone. Two new contenders have emerged in our conference. If I were GM this summer would be critical to Morey's future. But Fertitta is obsessed with archaic cost reduction obsession because he doesn't have the imagination to grow from this.

harold bingo and Gray_Jay like this.
  7. tc0330

tc0330 Member

yea. again with this. i made the thread to make a "safe place" for peeps to go to give their own insight on what changes need to be made with our current situation instead of discussing the issue in threads that arent built for the topic. this is a basketball thread so we talking basketball.

the bolded part is whats kinda been on my mind lately. people talk $hit that he's done a terrible job but in reality, he's literally done what he could with what micro-sized wiggle room we have along with any complex future trades that couldve been/be.

im very curious if what morey is doing is based on what tilman has ordered him to do - save money, use what we have, theres no reason to spend more if we have a top 5 team still, etc. if morey has his hands tied behind his back because of tilman, then i completely understand why hes barely made any moves.

on the other hand, if tilman ISNT involved, then the biggest question for morey obviously is WTF ARE YOU DOING?? thats where its a grey area for me. like i wanna be mad that he hasnt been the typical wheel and deal gm he used to be trying to improve, but would totally understand if upper management is holding his ass down bc of money problems.

8. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

I come at this from a very simple angle. We had vet mins, TP MLE, and SNTs of Shump and Nene, and $3M cash. I want to use it all with any mins we can before we ever eat into our core. Who provides the minutes? Those are the locked players because you have nothing to replace them.

We are no different than LAL, LAC, TOR, or MIA except we just haven’t done everything possible yet and time has run out.

Almost none of the people we lost out on signed min contracts. We wanted them and they got more money than we can give. Our money has to count because we will be here again next year. What does that mean? We are locked in so take advantage of longer contracts in exchange for lesser contracts to leverage talent acquisition.

OKC is a distressed org and we have assets that can help us get what we want and what they want. Our picks have no value to us to use. They need to be somebody else.

This is about real life and least worst decisions just like real life. You don’t get the marble countertops or the Maserati.

I want KLove because he is almost 5 years younger than Iggy in a 4yr contract. He will take up 30 mins. I want Iggy for the min because he is done after this year and can never give me the value for what I send out. Ask me a year with other options I say hell no. Right NOW, before the Blazers and next week, I want our SNT, picks, and mins to beat out the Blazers.

CP3 contract and Brodie. I don’t want Brodie on this team but there is now leverage with teams where negative contracts like these have value. I want Morey to work with Presti to send Brodie to Wash or Tor for Beal and send CP3 to Miami simply because I believe the deal has to go down now. I want Beal and as many salary assets, aka Roberson or some from Miami, that I can get from OKC. I send other goodies to OKC.

Can that all be done? Probably not but I want to see us try real hard. Outside of that we are throwing away our present. I don’t see a lot of good plays throwing away our assets on small pieces and short terms assets. This core is locked in for at least 3 years so lock it in or the reasons for last year were all BS. Screw competing when you have Harden. Other teams don’t do that.

9. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

Trade CP3 for Bev, Montrez, and Lou Williams.

kjayp, Hank McDowell and Rokman like this.
  10. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Is it settled yet? Call me back when it's settled.

tc0330 likes this.
  11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Concur with these. Very sensible list.

baller4life315, tc0330 and treyk3 like this.
  12. johnk2220

johnk2220 Member

Those 2 could only be the very last option available. Nothing against either guy (i was a big fan of us getting dwight the first time) but I just dont think they move the needle that much for us. lance's defense can be good at times tho.

13. PersianRocket

PersianRocket Member

Yeah my thinking is Dwight is better than Faried/Nene so you rather him play 15 a game than those guys. Stephenson would take minutes from Green which I’d be cool with lol

14. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

S&T Shump for a 3&D wing. The Rockets don't have a single good defensive wing on the entire roster unless you are counting Tucker and they have no reliable backup front court player for him.

15. SemisolidSnake

Name D'Antoni "Head Coach Emeritus." Let him coach from home via Skype. Mute Skype.

Seriously, how about a concerted effort to work with each player on their deficiencies? Do we have a defensive coach yet? A lot of our guys could use personal time on their defense. Someone work with Capela to shoot free throws at a percentage more like a human and less like Shaq. Do we have a boxing out coach? Capela needs one of those just for himself.

Maybe CP3, Harden, and Skypetoni can work on how the first two can actually work together and not get in each other's way on the offense. That's an adult ongoing conversation that needs to happen.

I mean, that's the thing. It's not a bad group of guys we have. We have the best player in the league. We have a future hall of fame point guard. Everyone has their strengths. But everyone also has some deficiencies that need attention, and it's very reasonable to expect that you can make progress, say on the defensive effectiveness of Gerald Green and potentially Faried if he comes back. But if you're going to treat every player as a static asset and whatever they bring is what it is, then yeah, you're going to fail with even the best lineup.

Yeah, that's my suggestion: actually work with what you have. It won't happen.

kjayp likes this.
  16. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Just out of curiosity, how would you react if we did this and the offense got significantly worse?

17. thekad

thekad Member

Do what everyone who wasn’t carrying water for incompetent management told them to do during the 18/19 season. Don’t waste Harden’s prime to duck under the luxury tax by giving up assets (Anderson’s future expiring, Melton, cash and multiple picks). Oh, and sign House.

Come into this offseason with a large expiring contract, all your picks plus whatever pick(s) you could have bought in the draft with cash, a young prospect, and the full taxpayers MLE.

Why be surprised that the outcome was bad when the entire process was bad.

18. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

I would trade CP3 for Westbrook then build around them with younger talent and a few vets. Don't give a f what CP3 feels like. Let the nba hate us. Most importantly find a stronger coach.

19. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

for people who keep saying let's trade cp because he's declining... and then turn around and say let's trade for westbrook?? russ may be only 30 but he's already in a steeper decline than cp and even worse, nearly all of his game is based on his athleticism. the guy has some of the worst efficiency stats in nba history (both offensively and defensively) and can't even shoot fts anymore. he was also one of the worst finishers at the rim last season. and you guys want to trade cp, who has less years left on his contract compared to westbrook's albatross of a contract? it's only a matter of time before westbrook's knees give out on him. and at least cp can run the pg position, destroy 2nd team lineups, and play effective defense. bball iq actually matters and westbrook has none of it.

i'm pissed that the rockets haven't done **** this offseason but if they can get a some solid vets for the backup big and wing positions (tyson chandler, igoudala?) then i like our chances for this season. i get why morey keeps swinging for the fences but i wish the whole team approached free agency with more fallback options that they could quickly go to instead of looking completely unprepared after plan A blows up in their face. two offseasons in a row where nothing was done to improve the team...

and tilman is a ****tard. wish les sold the team to someone else...

#79 clutchdabear, Jul 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
  20. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I'd sign MCW. Bring back Shumpert. Give Deyonta Davis starter minutes. Then sit back and wait for my trophy.

harold bingo and tc0330 like this.