1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Les = Best Owner in the NBA - Forbes.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Chopped, Dec 3, 2008.

Tags:
  1. bushbush1988

bushbush1988 Member

sadly his team is letting him down with a disgraceful performance right now

2. bushbush1988

bushbush1988 Member

disgrace...disgrace....

3. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

He's pretty much done what he has to to win big. Not afraid making big trades or signing big free agents.

Too bad we still sux.

4. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

I give him kudos for building the entertainment and fan experience outside the game. And he's a charitable owner.

5. adoo

adoo Member

he let go a tough / demanding coaching and got a coach whose coach style leads to choking.

6. Scientific1

Scientific1 Member

I wonder why some of yall even bother to post here.

7. HCoog

HCoog Member

8. HCoog

HCoog Member

sadly bob mcnair is not on the football list =/

9. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

He's also gotta be one of the cheapest owners in the NBA. I don't care if FMD's shares have taken a beating, we've all taken a beating in the stock market. He's gonna have to go over the luxury tax if he wants this team to be able to compete against the elite clubs in the NBA. It starts with resigning Deke asap and getting a pg that can actually be productive on this team.

10. PigMiller

PigMiller Member

He can thank Yao.

11. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

As I recall our biggest choke-jobs (losing 3 in a row to the Mavs in 2004 and not being able to catch a rebound in game 7 against Utah in 2007) were under the "tough / demanding coach".

12. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Bingo.

2008 - 6 = 2002

13. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Member

The Houston area, at almost 5.7 million people, is just a "mid-sized" market?

14. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You forgot the city of Orlando and the entire country of China.

15. echu888

echu888 Member

Yeah that cheapskate ... (goes and looks up 2008 team salaries...) He's the 23rd most cheapest owner in the league! There are actually six whole teams who have more $$$ on their payroll than Houston this year.

When the teams who are closest to us in payroll are the Celtics, Lakers, Phoenix, and Detroit ... I think our owner has shown a willingness to open up the pocketbook for the right moves to compete at an elite level. Hence the recognition by the Forbes article. Hardly a Donald Sterling. Don't blame him for the lack of living up to the potential by the players. This is not a failure on the part of the owner. Nice random unsubstantiated accusation though.

Taking the approach the NY Knicks have taken over the last few years is not the answer.

16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Forbes lists are whack. It lists George Shinn and Michael Heisley among the top 10.

For best environmental cities, Houston is in the top 5...

17. JVG>Adelman

JVG>Adelman Member

The Best Owners are those that will do what it takes to WIN. Les is one of the cheapest owners in the League, yet he makes one of the most in terms of revenue. He doesn't want to pay the Luxury Tax. This is a disgrace.

Don't tell Houston fans Les is the best owner when this guy is so cheap. And let's not forget the classless way he fired JVG, who worked tirelessly to make the Rockets winners.

18. OrangeRowdy95

OrangeRowdy95 Contributing Member

This article is wrong. It says Tad Brown was responsible for our TV deal with Fox Sports, when it was actually George Postolos.

It says Les has had 2 losing seasons. That's false. The Comets had 2 losing seasons, not the Rockets. I believe the Rockets have had 3 under Les.

19. JVG>Adelman

JVG>Adelman Member

Yao is too gentlemanly to demand that the Ownership open the banks, and start spending. It's his career, not mine, but if I were Yao, I wouldn't be too happy over the organization's commitment to spending enough to provide him a competitive champioinship caliber team.