1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Legit PG and 2nd C

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Da Wink, Dec 28, 2014.

1. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

Anytime son

2. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

Dorsey with a career 19% FT shooting is horrid

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I've been a big time DMo isn't currently a center guy for a while. I still think he's a better PF than a center, but he has made a lot of progress in the center department. He is starting to move more like Asik when he's at center to help out then get back into rebounding position.

I am still not sold on him being a center, yet, but I am convinced he will become one if he isn't already.

4. finsraider

finsraider Member

That is NOT the only reason people are talking about Dragic.

Other reasons:

1) He's on an expiring contract
    2) He has been campaigning to be traded for the last month. Multiple interviews/articles written that he will explore free agency. Knicks, LA Lakers, and Houston specifically named.
    3) He emerged as a viable NBA player on the Rockets and under the current coaching staff.

So it is not weird or "obsessive" to repeatedly discuss a trade for Dragic, just as it wasn't "obsessive" to discuss a trade for Rondo.

The Dragic/Rondo comparison is absolutely valid. Both teams are young and have tons of picks. Both had PGs in their late 20s on expiring deals. Both are in the playoff hunt in their respective conferences. Both had younger PGs that they want to give more time to. And funny enough, Ryan McDonough is from the Boston management tree.

In fact, PHX is saying almost exactly the same thing that Boston said just before trading Rondo. "We view him as part of our long term future". And Dragic is doing something similar to Rondo. Rondo had lunch with Kobe. Dragic is saying he will "explore" free agency.

These two situations are almost mirror images of one another. I do expect Dragic to get a better return to the Suns than Rondo did to the Celtics. I do not expect Dragic to be a Sun after the trade deadline unless the Suns have acquired a significant PF or wing.

1 person likes this.
  5. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I just don't understand how there is anyone who isn't a fan of Pat Beverley. He's been an amazing addition to this team.

6. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

That would be pretty terrible. Thankfully his career FT% is 40.

7. YallMean

YallMean Member

Joseph was having hell of a game against Pat. I love Pat, his tough nose plays. But, that can't be all there is to the starting PG of a contender. By trade deadline, we should look aggressively for a PG upgrade. We have pieces.

8. wekko368

wekko368 Member

For the past 25 years or so, most starting PG's on championship teams have been role players similar to Beverley. The only exceptions have been Billups and Parker.

9. ThisVoice

ThisVoice Member

Rondo? Kidd?

10. wekko368

wekko368 Member

2008, 2nd year old Rondo? 2011, 37 year old Jason Kidd? Role players. Nothing more.

11. SeekingAlpha

SeekingAlpha Member

Most of the past PGs have at least had SOME ability to consistently create.

Even in Miami Spo at least had LeBron setting screens for Chalmers because they trusted him to make offensive decisions.

When Dallas won in 2011 I remember Barea's playmaking being a big part of that comeback.

Fisher is the only guy that comes to mind of recent who's job was purely just to play defense, rebound, and shoot 3s.

12. RocketTownHou

RocketTownHou Member

Don't panic because Beverley didn't have a good game against the Spurs. Darrell Morey is building this team around defense. Don't forget the close games when Beverley hit key 3s late and the games where he got key rebounds in the final minutes.
    Three of the starters (Bev, Smith, and Ariza) combined for only 17 points. I don't think we're seeing a pattern here, just a bad game.

13. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Does Alston ' s running tear drop in the lane look real good to people right now. Harden is the only perimeter player that can create on his own. Ariza can't Brewer unless running a fast break, Bev cant... no one else.

14. YallMean

YallMean Member

Ron Harper. I suppose you mean PG on championship teams typically take a backseat in terms of scoring.
    Ron Harper came to my mind. Tough nose player, BUT he was veteran guard that could control the tempo of the game and knows how to distribute.
    My biggest concern with Pat isn't his scoring. That is not to say he is fine there. My biggest concern is his lacking of controlling the tempo of the game, knowing when to slow down the game, when to speed it up.
    That backcourt violation of his in the last game. You gotta be kidding me. With him, its pretty much all hustle. I never see him put his hands down and telling him "Guys, we got this, lets run some plays" Isn't that PG's job?
    By the way, I don't know how you could count out Isiah and Joe Dumas.

15. 34to11

34to11 Member

I guess the All-Defense thing was a lie.

Kinda like Durant is a horrible player when he's not scoring
    or Chris Paul is garbage when he's not dribbling and passing
    or Kevin Love is worthless without his rebounds and threes?

16. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I love the dude. His rebounding and hustle have often saved our butts.

But we could reeeeaaally use a Dragic to keep the ship afloat when Harden sits....actually, so that Harden CAN sit.

If we're lucky, get Dragic, keep Bev. Imagine the lineups.

17. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

This comment coming from an SF3 user name:

[​IMG]

18. TheFreak

Ron Harper and Brian Shaw before him. Any Bulls point guard that played with Jordan. And yes, Chalmers.

Barrea was not the starter.

19. TheFreak

What I can imagine is kissing a chance at a title this year goodbye if Dragic is acquired in late Feb. People are already mad that the Rockets didn't beat the Spurs after one practice with Josh Smith. An acquisition of Dragic late in the season would be a move for next year only. That's just too much roster upheaval during a season to overcome.

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

Not really about who doesn't love Beverly bc most of us do. It's what this team needs. Harden has to do way too much. Beverly can't run the team like a pg should. Another player maker is very much needed. Beverly is at his best off the bench on a championship team