1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Left outraged by engineer's views on diversity

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by durvasa, Aug 6, 2017.

1. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

You can have diverse ideas among people that fit into the same general demographic groups. You can have homogenous ideas among people that fit into different demographic groups. One has nothing to do with the other. You are otherwise suggesting that all straight white cisgender males think the same things, but no gay black transgender female can think what the straight white males think. I would suggest that your skin color doesn't lock you into a specific thought pattern. While you may see trends associated with demographics (for example, black voters voting for Democrats) even the strongest of those trends leave as much as 5-10% diversity in those groups. There is no reason to believe that selecting purely on merit would result in some sort of groupthink that would hamper a company.

2. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Welcome to 2018: where stupid, racist bullshit is tolerated, so long as it is in the name of "diversity".

3. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I think he's suggesting that while they may not all think the same, there are other angles they may not see or comprehend because of their life experience.

There are certain experiences that other group understand better.

No one thinks the same period, but you are suggesting that a gay black transgender female may not see things through a lens that you as a straight white male won't see things through. Just from your example I can tell you that the black transgender female will see things differently based on sexual attraction.

From a more common example, than you know, the most extreme example you brought up...a woman will see things differently, from another angle, because of her life experiences. Experiences that a straight male will never have or be able to sufficiently explain.

4. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Really? The Klan isn't doing anything illegal? Are you familiar with the Klan and their goals? It would seem not. Why does a terrorist organization like the Klan pass muster with you as not being an illegal organization seeking illegal goals. They actively work against protected classes in everything they do, even going so far as to murder people.

Why is it okay to discriminate against poor kids but not rich kids? The paradigm that you choose to live in simply ignores discrimination where it doesn't matter to you and highlights it when it interests you and that is the core of the hypocrisy here. This is the paradox of people complaining about not getting into Harvard because they're x, y, or z but not give a damn about tens of millions of x, y, and z children that receive a substandard education by design.

#344 CometsWin, Mar 7, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  5. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

What has the Klan done in recent years that is illegal?

I'm not sure what angle you're getting at by bringing up poor vs. rich kids. Universities and social programs give scholarships to kids who qualify for financial aid. I'm not against that.

I'm not even sure why we're getting on these tangents and not discussing the actual topic at hand. Do you support Google's discriminatory hiring practices?

6. Buck Turgidson

Other than doing Klan things?

jcf likes this.
  7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Glad this thread is still going - whenever i feel like i need to hear more white male voices in the tech/business world, I click on over here.

FranchiseBlade, B-Bob and KingCheetah like this.
  8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ok, well you can live in a world of theory, but I choose to look at the data:

https://www.mckinsey.com/business-functions/organization/our-insights/why-diversity-matters

While that may threaten you and folks like Rojo, the bottom line is literally that diversity is profitable.

9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

As a vocal member of "the left," I am also still waiting to feel "outraged" over some random guy's thoughts on diversity. <*checks pulse*> No, still not really taking hold of me.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  10. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

That is not measuring diversity of thought, it is measuring profitability. The two are not necessarily related. You could have a racially diverse board that all agrees on everything, but they also are all smart and good at marketing (including marketing their very diversity to people who care about that sort of thing). You can have a racially homogeneous board that can't agree on a damn thing, sucks at marketing, but they sure have a ton of different ideas about how to fix it. A ruler is never going to tell you what color something is, because that isn't what it measures.

11. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

The Klan
    Baltimore Klansman tried to rebrand the KKK. Now he awaits trial in Charlottesville shooting

Nazis
    Alleged reckless driver charged with first-degree murder in Charlottesville car attack
    Deadly Connection: Neo-Nazi Group Linked To 3 Accused Killers

The Klan is basically morphing into "cooler" type groups like white nationalists and the alt-right. Why are people associated with terrorist organizations like Nazis and the Klan not arrested on sight like any member of Al-Qaeda or ISIS would certainly be? This soft-pedaling of American terrorist organizations is a joke. Al-Qaeda doesn't have free speech rights to flood a small town with its followers, why do the Klan and Nazis have that right?

It's not a tangent. It's an example of how middle and upper class whites and Asians focus on discrimination where it affects them negatively but not in the discrimination that benefits them. The issue isn't Google's discrimination, it's discrimination overall. You focus on the methods in which companies and universities seek to level the playing field rather than focusing on why the playing field isn't level in the first place. It's common for your crowd to attribute the success of these people solely to hard work when in fact they have built in advantages based on the discriminatory nature of public education and our basic history of racial discrimination in general from generational wealth to unemployment rates, police brutality, racial gerrymandering, etc. You want to have a discussion on discrimination then let's have it, but if you want to pigeon-hole cases to make a bogus point then I'm already bored.

#351 CometsWin, Mar 8, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
    mdrowe00 likes this.
  12. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

You believe this is authentic?

14. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

damore does. pretty spooky if true.

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Maybe he wrote it.

I'll tell you what is very suspicious about this - the person who wrote this would have been involved in so many aspects of the business - communication with the NRLB, technology, the Press, HR - it would have to be one of the most senior people at Google - presumably an officer. And some of the statements in there don't jive with the way a lawyer would handle this - and you better believe that as soon as this blew up their general counsel was involved.

So it smacks of being fabricated

dachuda86 likes this.
  16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I dunno, just seems like more of Google being Google.

17. bongman

bongman Member

Unless their email server is not backed up, they should be able to restore those deleted emails. Smart enough to know to delete them but stupid to send incriminating evidence ? Does not add up.

18. jcf

jcf Member

I really doubt it. But I don't doubt that it could happen in a number of contexts.

19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Deleting emails doesn't cover your tracks one bit.

The real give away is the claim that spying on their phone and computer was an obstruction to him getting support because it would slow down their machine. How anyone could possible conclude that the result of spy software would slow down their devices to a degree that the net effect wouldn't that they couldn't do their job, but that it would be they couldn't rally people to their side - as if they knew what his main objective was.

No, this is phony - there is no one person outside the CEO who would have all of this information from so many departmental happenings.

dachuda86 likes this.
  20. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I have to agree with you. Phony. No name, not very credibly, and exactly where I would put a phony piece of BS.