1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

LeBron James games to be on PPV

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by drapg, Nov 8, 2002.

1. drapg

drapg Member

Time Warner to put James' prep games on pay-per-view

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Associated Press

AKRON, Ohio -- Coming soon to cable: LeBron James.

The 6-foot-7 senior at St. Vincent-St. Mary High School is considered the nation's top prep basketball player. If he decides to skip college, he most likely will be a top pick in this spring's NBA draft.

This season, his team's routinely sold-out games will be offered on pay-per-view in 14 counties in northeast Ohio. Most of his home games will be played at the 6,000-seat University of Akron arena.

The games will be available to about 600,000 homes for about $4 to $7 a game, Bill Jasso, vice president of public affairs for the northeast Ohio division of Time Warner, said Friday.

The venture will be a partnership between Time Warner and the school. Jasso declined to release financial details.

James, Ohio's Mr. Basketball the past two years, has been on the cover of Sports Illustrated, which described him as "The Chosen One.''

2. codell

codell Contributing Member

The true sign that the apocolpyse is upon us.

Im thinking some of the PPV revenue should go to James and his family.

3. Timing

Timing Member

$4-$7 would be cheaper than going to the game for a lot of people.

4. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Utter BS...

They are abviously making money on Lebron. As much as I hate to think about paying college athletes, this is going too far.

This is a prime exampleof why he will go straight to the NBA, because people (Time Warner and his HS) are already making money off from him.

5. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Nothing against LeBron James, but I grew up in NE Ohio and St. Vincent-St. Mary was not a very big school. (As I recall, St.V was so small it was merged with St.M).

Unless they have tailored their schedule for James's enrollment, there are going to be some real dogs on that schedule. If I were going to do a PPV, it would take the state high school playoffs or the McD's All America game to get into my wallet.

I'm in agreement with some of the money going to James's family and also to St.V- St.M which is a tuition based school and at the time I lved in the area did not receive city or state funding.

6. drapg

drapg Member

to tell the truth, if the PPV was offered in Texas, I'd buy a few games. I've never seen this guy play. If every NBA pundit agreed (which NEVER happens) that James would have gone #1 overall as a junior out of high school last year, well that's the kind of talent i'd pay to watch... even if its only in a high school forum.

7. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

drapg -
    If you (or anyone else) finds a Texas St.V-St.M PPV schedule, start a thread. Through old friends, I still keep up with NE Ohio BBall so perhaps myself or some other Buckeye (like 4Chuckie who's in central Ohio) can advise you of which may be the better game to watch. :)

8. PhiSlammaJamma

Somebody was asking what would be next for the internet, scouting it is....

9. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

He should sit them out just to be contrary.

10. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Ahh man Time Warner Houston didn't do this for Rashard Lewis. Lewis was a badass :D

11. drapg

drapg Member

apparently not in the eyes of NBA scouts... seeing as how he went in the 2nd round AFTER graduating high school

all NBA scouts proclaimed they would have drafted James as a JUNIOR with the #1 overall pick.

in the mind of scouts, it appears james is just a tad bit better, eh? ;)