1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

LeBron - Best Post Threat in NBA

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Icehouse, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

2. WinorLoseMate

WinorLoseMate Member

In b4:

Lebron cares too much about his stats now. His fg% is hurting his team because he isn't taking open shots and deferring too much. His fg% is inflated by him cherry picking for layups and dunks.
    Kobe has a much more aesthetically pleasing game and hits much harder shots with fadeaways and isos. 5 rings to 2 b****es

1 person likes this.
  3. TracywtFacy

TracywtFacy Member

Just like MJ worked to improve his jumper and defense... true superstars turn their weaknesses into strengths.

4. jlwee

jlwee Member

Well according to Lebron Hater and Kobe Wanker, goodbug who has been disappeared for some times, Lebron has zero post game unlike kobe....

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

That link says Lebron is #1 at PPP in the post. Is 1.1 PPP really #1? And how do they count a pass: Is that a possession? I assume PPP is different than PPS off of post plays, no? That seems low, unless they count him passing as a possession (in which case he doesn't score himself). I don't doubt he's #1, but would like some kind of historical reference. Anyone know how they measure the PPP stat in that link?

I remember Rudy stats on Barkley -- success rate when he they run a post play for him ("backing it in, backing it in"). It counted FGM, a foul for FTs and Assists by Barkley as success (and passes that directly lead to a foul for FTs vs an assist). He was in the 65% range. Rudy said he was #1 in the league.

6. The Rock MVP

The Rock MVP Member

I'd agree with you before last night's Rockets game. Matt bullard said that in advanced statistics, by averaging 1 point at least for every possession as a team, it shows an almost impossible way to lose that game if you average at least 90 possessions.

Context was that Dwight Howard was under Hack a Howard. So he was saying, if dwight makes one of his free throws every time they send him to the line, the strategy fails because the other team is going up against a true set defense

7. heypartner

^ I heard that comment, too, and it's well known. I think he actually said PPS, not PPP. 1.0 PPP would be bad. I mean, you just described a 90ppg team, as impossible to lose. So, I'm pretty certain Bullard said or meant 1.0 PPS.

In fact, according to Hollinger's Pace stat showing possessions used per game, only two teams are above 100 possessions. There are 15 teams over 100ppg. So, Bullard meant PPS.

And even then, a superstar's numbers are always well above a teams numbers. 1.0 PPS for a team is awesome. But a superstar should be above 1.3.

So, back to my question...how does the link's stat define PPP for a player. It's easy to describe for a team.

#7 heypartner, Jan 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  8. amaru

amaru Member

The first player that came to mind was Z-Bo.

LBJ is a stud no doubt.

9. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Stolen from some Heat realgm poster. You can apply this to LeBron being willing to get in the post rather than chuck jumpers.

10. heypartner

Well, that's not true. They are 5-3 in Game 1 the last two years; 2-2 last year. But the rest I'll give to him.

11. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Yeah that's the first thing I thought of too, and they almost lost Game 1 to the Pacers as well, but I didn't want to edit his post.