1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Leadership

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Jeremy Williams, Nov 7, 2022.

1. Jeremy Williams

The biggest question going into 2023 IMO is leadership.

Dusty has to decide if he wants to come back.
    Crane needs to decide on the GM.
    Crane/GM needs to decide on whether to sign Verlander to another 1+1 deal.
    Crane/GM needs to decide on whether to sign Yuli and Brantley to short term deals.

Crane, Dusty, Verlander, Yuli and Brantley all play critical leadership roles in our organization. Set aside performance, and the loss of these 5 leaders will be a huge test to the mental strength and focus for the team.

The Astros will continue to be stacked with potential, even if all 5 of the above do not return. However, the loss of leadership could be the biggest difference in the team returning to the World Series in 2023 and beyond.

What I see:
    I don't think Verlander wants more than another 1+1. I think he wants to be in control of his decisions at the conclusion of every year.
    Dusty needs to decide if he wants to go another year. There are legitimate health concerns. Dusty did seem to suggest on live TV that he intends to be back.
    Based on the previous rumors and ESPN article that was released yesterday, Click may not be on the same page as Dusty and Crane. I think it's probable he is not given a new contract.
    Yuli and Brantley both WANT back here. I don't think a deal gets done until a GM is under contract. Whomever that GM is will likely have a voice in whether or not to offer contracts to these 2 aging vets.

My personal preference is that Dusty be re-hired, Crane finds a GM that continues with the savy decision making and analytical mindset established by Luhnow, and that Yuli and Brantley are given new deals. I think their clubhouse leadership is huge and even at their ages, they still have a lot to offer at the plate. I think re-signing Verlander is a must, although we have 6 key starting pitchers behind him if it is determined the $ it would take to keep Verlander could be better used to extend Tucker, Valdez and/or Javier.

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

These decisions are always tough. The results are there and I don't think Crane wants to dismantle this winning formula. The window on this team as it is is short with Dusty, JV, Yuli and Brantley all getting up in years. Even without them the team has enough talent to win another WS but the chemistry and culture created by those guys will be hard to replicate and we've been hearing a lot of that is what makes this team special what has attracted others to this team.

3. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

If I have to bet I bet Dusty comes back for at least one more season. Listening to him in his post game interviews it sounds like he would like to try for another. JV still wants to pitch and for the right amount of money will come back but he seems like he's at peace and probably will be fine playing somewhere else. A big question with JV might be what his family thinks.

Either Yuli or Brantley are the most likely to be gone.

4. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I was thinking about who the linchpin is for the winning culture Houston has established. They've weathered the losses of core star players (Correa, Springer), veteran clubhouse guys (Beltran, McCann, etc.), their GM, their manager, and many others, and they’re still winning. I do think there’s an argument that Altuve serves as the cornerstone of their culture, but I’m not certain it springs from him. So that leaves me to believe it starts at the top; I think Jim Crane has an incredibly unique set of skills that is creating this dynasty. He is ultra competitive, flush with resources, and is demonstrating an uncanny ability to pick the right people for the right jobs.

#4 Snake Diggit, Nov 7, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2022
  5. Jeremy Williams

Altuve himself emphasized Michael Brantley's speech after WS game 3 was THE factor in turning around the Series. That's huge.

I do agree that Crane himself seems to be one of the biggest factors. He is aggressive, intelligent, has hired all of the right player development and scouting reps, and is the one factor that stands constant.

6. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I don't think the Verlander decision will be a 1+1 deal. If it were, Crane will pay it regardless of how much it is. I'm think it will be at least a 2+1 deal and the fear that someone will give him a Scherzer deal with 3 years of record breaking money. I'm thinking Dodger with their Kershaw money or Yankees just to spite us. Interestingly I wouldn't mind the Yankees tying all their money up with Verlander because I still don't think they can beat us.

7. Jeremy Williams

He won't go to the Yankees. Kate Upton literally called out their fanbase on live TV for booing their players.

8. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I think it has to come down to ownership. If the ownership doesn't see the value in keeping core staff, adding key staff and letting key staff go nothing else is going to matter.

I was talking to a friend of mine yesterday about the Minnesota Twins. Over the last 10 years that team has had talent with promissing rookies, some savy veterans and has had their opportunities. Why are they mediocre and haven't been able to win a single playoff game in more than 12 years?
    It all comes down to ownership that they aren't willing to take key steps to win. Other than Correa their general MO has been to not sign veterans in their prime. They bring in people like Josh Donaldson, Kenta Maeda who are past their prime and hope they can recapture their previous magic. They count on rookies to suddenly be good yet delay their development. When rookies doe get good aren't willing to pay them so they walk. Most damning though is when things look good and they have a chance to make something happen they aren't willing to make the big move that could get them over the top. That generally means signing a marquee pitcher.

Many former Twins players have complained about that and the message they get is that ownership doesn't really care about winning the playoffs. That creates a toxic culture where the players feel like if ownership isn't going to go all out why should they.

Jeremy Williams likes this.
  9. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I could envision Crane acting as GM during a transition if he doesn't decide within the next three days. Exclusive contract talks with Free Agents ends too soon to let a new GM not in the system get up to speed. I also think he wants to insure he gives JV the best offer he is willing to give before the free for all.

I know those with options must exercise them or notify the team they will not exercise them within five days after the conclusion of the WS which is Thursday. I'm not sure if that is the same date for exclusive contract talks with FAs or not.

Jeremy Williams likes this.
  10. jayfree

jayfree Member

So you start a post called FIRE BAKER and now you're on the bandwagon? Interesting

11. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

An old potato sprouting roots in the bottom of your pantry being the new GM for the 'Stros is still infinitely better than what the Texans ownership rolls out. I feel lucky to have Crane as an owner.

12. Jeremy Williams

That was 2 years ago. Yes, I've come around. :)

IowaAstro likes this.
  13. Jeremy Williams

14. raining threes

Crane hired Luhnow, Luhnow hired those people.

15. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Framber, Javier, Verlander, Lance, Garcia, Urquidy, Abreu, Montero, Neris, Stanek, Pressley.....helps with setting "the culture"

16. Jeremy Williams

This stuff with Click is very confusing. Is this a Crane power play? Why isn't Click in communication with Crane and company? What is he doing in Vegas at the GM meeting if he's not under contract? Is Click jockeying for more years?

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Crane doesn't need to power play anybody... he has all the power and will ultimately do what he wants to do (as he's always done).

BlindHog likes this.
  18. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

One caveat to that statement, Crane is the chairman of the board. Not quite the same as an owner. He probably does have to power play the board on occasion.

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Maybe... but under his chairmanship, he's made a boat-load of profits for all the minority stake-holders as the franchise value has sky-rocketed (and then some), despite a defunct TV deal, taking on a ton of initial debt, and 4 horrific seasons where the playoff attendance alone likely superseded all those years combined.

IOW, the board will concede to his decision making... until he's officially made the wrong decision.

20. jjsmooth

jjsmooth Member

Manfred called Crane the owner when he handed Crane the trophy. He may not be the sole owner, but I think he has the biggest stake.