1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Le$ making excuses for James Harden's defensive woes

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RESINator, Jul 9, 2016.

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I doubt it. That was a legit case of mismanagement plus the team around Hakeem falling apart

Hakeem never gained 30 pounds or stopped playing defense

The Texans suck but no one blames JJ Watt

2. Fantasma Negro

James Harden is the franchise, if you want to follow the media's"James doesn't play defense " bull**** that's up to you but keep that **** to yourself. I'm so ****ing tired of all these stupid idiots that cannot realize the level of player we have here. Every time I see one of these stupid ass threads I have to ask, where was this narrative when we were in the western conference finals. Don't be a sheep dude

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Harden played defense two years ago

4. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Ted Brown and Les want to thank you for being a Rockets fan and also wish every forking Rockets fan will have the same mindset like yours.

5. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

The rage from your post above reminds me of those moments when Harden was standing there in the paint and watching his guy getting the back door for a slam, and then turned around and yelled at Capela like : WTF dude, block this shlt out of here and you need to rotate your sorry ass faster on defense.

Strong evidence that our franchise player really care about the D.

1 person likes this.
  6. Fantasma Negro

The center controls the paint, they are the last line of defense. Because of the switch everything defense, Harden would at times be switched to the cutter and not know because he's defending someone else, the center has to be able to see all this and move his feet to cut off the drive or block the shot. Its just funny to me how when we have good front court play no one talks crap about defense. I hope one thing that D'Antoni doesn't come with its that stupid switch everything defense. It almost killed the Cavs in the final. Man or zone is all you need

7. PolarBear

PolarBear Contributing Member

Harden COULDN'T opt out next year on his previous deal, which was under team control for both 2016-17 and 2017-18. Of course he wants 'more money' - who doesn't? He couldn't get Conley money, since he doesn't have 10 years of service, so that argument is irrelevant.

The point some are making here have merits and doesn't make them "non-fans": The Rockets are now paying Harden an additional $50M ($10M this year, $10M next year, and $30M in 2018-19) to get one extra year of his services.

This was an extraordinary gesture of good faith by the Rockets that I hope will end up in Harden signing on for much longer after he surely opts out after 2018-19...but there are no guarantees. The reality is that Harden could still bolt after 2018-19. Let's hope that the Rockets' 'voluntary lucrative extension' will result in true loyalty.

In the meantime, let's also hope it helps attract other free agents next year - assuming we can clear cap to sign one. For this year, we're now capped out (with or without DMo), and will need some trades (with or without DMo) to have better roster balance.

8. RESINator

RESINator Member

Wow... clearly I've rustled a lot of armchair defensive strategists here upset that I am critical of Harden. You guys and Le$ are better defenders that he has been this past season. I will always be one of his biggest critics BUT that doesn't make me hate the Rockets. I want James Harden to succeed. I WANT him to prove those critics wrong on the court and at least stand up for himself during this press conference.

9. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

If harden played defense (by your standards) last year, what seed would we have been and what round would have we made it in the playoffs?

10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Because... they disagree with you.

11. fchowd0311

Aww... is it because your precious hero was criticized? Awww... so cute. Life has much larger scope than James Harden nut hugging. Because someone disagrees with you about a basketball player, they suddenly ought to be sterile?

Quote frankly, take a few steps back at the grander scheme of things... someone who wants another person sterile because of a difference in opinion in a basketball player is probably the one who ought to be sterile.

1 person likes this.
  12. fchowd0311

Hakeem actually tried on defense even before he turned into a saint with his religion.

13. RESINator

RESINator Member

Who knows man...

What I do know is that as a fan I was frustrated numerous times last year by Harden's lackadaisical attitude towards defense and putting in effort on both ends of the court. Defense and effort begin with the leader of the team. Does it not bother you? You're invested in the team and you want them to win. But to see one of the greatest offensive players get backdoored or not try on D really leaves a sour taste in your mouth.

14. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Off topic: The Texans don't suck, we just aren't a top tier team, because we lack a QB. Hopefully that changes with Oz, but who knows. Outside of Irvin, no one blames Watt, because everyone knows what kind of hot garbage we've had at QB over the years. Almost getting into the playoffs with Fitz and getting to the playoffs with Hoyer is pretty damn good IMO.

15. fchowd0311

Lol I remember on a defensive fast break play, Harden was in position, but played his patented fast break matador defense and literally stepped out the way, and then turns around and yells at a trailing DMO who is huffing and puffing and running the full length of the court as a 7fter. I also remember this was a nationally televised game and I believe it was either Reggie Miller or Chris Webber that explicitly stated "That's on YOU Harden. Don't yell at Montijunis!"

16. fchowd0311

For some reason, this might sound crazy, but I believe offensive players who run without the ball like Curry, Reggie, Rip etc expend more energy than the type of offense Harden does. Am I crazy to think that? It also wears down the defender more. It's just my personal experience of playing ball.

17. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Tell me? Best case scenario? Unless you agree that no matter what more harden did it wouldnt have made a difference?

Both ends? The guy who had the heaviest burden to carry offensively?

Unlike the haters here i with majority of the board clearly see how bad the team from the coaching staff to the starters to the bench are especially offense that hardens exerting the most effort offensively compared to other players in the league.

18. fchowd0311

Iso ball requires less energy than off the ball movement.

19. RESINator

RESINator Member

Harden playing defense will always make a difference. You act like the player's MVP is unable to play both ends of the floor. Really pandering to Harden the same way Le$ is making sure our star player doesn't run off in a couple of years. Smh. Don't understand why you're so content with mediocrity.

20. Jpripper88

Jpripper88 Member

I mean, you can be a homer, but to think his lack of defense is just a narrative and not true? Good Lord.