1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lawn mower recommendations

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RV6, Jan 21, 2016.

1. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Looking for a gas powered push mower under $200. That's all I really need for my lawn, but I'm not that familiar with quality of brands right now.

Also, what do you all think about high rear wheels? I know they're recommended for uneven surfaces, but I've read they break off more easily, but I'm not sure if this is a real thing or a user issue.

Thanks, in advance.

2. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

Where's Slowly when you need him....

Jontro and Bäumer like this.
  3. Buck Turgidson

Go to Lowe's, make nice with one of the people, get them to sell you one of the floor models / scratch and dents / unboxed returns.

dachuda86 and Nook like this.
  4. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Gotta be able to plank doe

[​IMG]

Jontro likes this.
  5. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I think I'd rather just buy a new one..hard to tell if a machine was damaged somehow by just looking at it

6. Buck Turgidson

It's not that hard. They won't **** you. You'll get a better quality machine for the same money as the Fisher Price one you'd buy new.

7. Asian Sensation

I'd recommend the Hector or José.

ThatBoyNick and Jontro like this.
  8. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I am a hector or Jose..That's why I wouldn't pay for someone to mow my lawn. :p

Seems to me like they'd just have more options, as they get more expensive. Can't I get a quality from a respected brand for a base model as I would for one with added options?

Jontro likes this.
  9. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

No. For 200 bucks you will get a POS.

TheresTheDagger likes this.
  10. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Whats count as a POS? Low physical quality ? Low performance?

Last one I had lasted several years and I never had a problem with it's performance. I used it twice week, nearly 52 times a year. Only had to replace pull cord and wheels and that was within the last year or so.

#10 RV6, Jan 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  11. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I have a sears craftsman that has last 12 years and I have never had to pull twice to start.

Edit:
    A decent craftsman cost more than 200 bucks.

12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Find a Sears Outlet store and see what they have in stock. Some good deals can be had there. I got a mower there some years ago for a bit more than $200. No problems with it at all for the 2ish years I used it (I started using a service and gave it away).

13. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Not true; you might be able to get some deeply discounted (clearanced) lawnmowers right now at Home Depot or Lowes. Best time for that is fall but you never know.

14. bongman

bongman Member

15. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Perhaps this is where the confusion is...maybe people are thinking about $200 as the retail price...but I've seen a couple for under $200 that retail close to $300.

For example:http://www.amazon.com/Poulan-Pro-961120131-PR500N21SH-Discharge/dp/B00MTUPSG0

16. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

You mow every 3.5 days? Why?

Why are you looking for a new mower if this one was so great. Sounds like it was hard to start.

17. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Mow front and back on separate days. Everything once a week. Like to keep it short.

Had it for 10 yrs already....not planning on putting more money into it, if something happens or general maintenance, which is likely going forward.

Usually started on second or third pull.

18. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Some times you can find some killer deals in the classifieds.

I bought a Honda mower. Has a turn key to start. Self Propelled etc.

I got it practically brand new. An old guy had it and gave up on it be cause he couldn't get it to start...just needed a new $30 carburetor. (he tried running it with old gas....today's gas sucks...incredibly short shelf life).

19. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

all i know is that you never mow another man's yard

dachuda86 likes this.
  20. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Whatever you get just ensure that it has a Honda motor. Several different brands use them, and Honda's auto choke is really nice. Just pull once or twice tops and go.

I have THIS one, got it last year and it can handle anything except for really tall and wet grass. But that's to be expected. $420 @ Home Depot and was worth every cent. My only complaint is it's performance when cutting on the highest level. It leaves a lot of stragglers behind and I'd have to go over it again after the first pass.