1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Late 1st round steal?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by rockets13champs, Mar 28, 2021.

1. VanityHalfBlack

Rockets needs some bigs big time.

2. sydmill

sydmill Member

Tari Eason or Jeremy Sochan are the two guys I'd target with the Brk/MIA pick. Both guys are combo forward types with the size to play down low but the athleticism and basic skills to operate in the perimeter. Either guy fits next to Sengun.

roslolian, Believe It! and RedIsen like this.
  3. D-rock

D-rock Member

Long skilled 2 way high IQ high effort players more specifically.

4. ickaruto

ickaruto Member

15 points and 14 assists with only 2 TOs for Ayo :(
    Screenshot_20220206-093525023 (1).jpg

D-rock likes this.
  5. ickaruto

ickaruto Member

I didn't overthink it. I wanted him back in March of last year.

I also wanted Scotties Barnes over Green (before the draft) and got sh*t on the forum for saying so.

D-rock likes this.
  6. ickaruto

ickaruto Member

7. D-rock

D-rock Member

I like Baylor's Jon Tchamwa.

Not sure if late FRP, SRP or UDFA but he reminds me of Faried.

Similar sized 6'7 or 6'8 with crazy wingspan (7'2 or more) and manic frenetic energy.

On defense as well as offense.

Great hands and feet, love his switch defense.

fckbandwagons, ickaruto and RedIsen like this.
  8. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

A few names I'm starting to get interested in:

Ismael Kamagate (6'11 Big - France)
    Soccer (goalkeeper) was his first sport. Transitioned over to bball as a teen, but going pro wasn't a reality until a few years ago. Offense is a question mark. His movement, quick feet, and low stance on the perimeter caught my attention. Reminds me a bit of a bargain Duren. The Stepien is kinda high on him as a multi coverage big:

MarJon Beauchamp (6'6 Wing - G-League Ignite)

Via The Athletic:

D-rock likes this.
  9. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Perhaps change the name of the thread to mid round steal?

10. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I agree - not sure why Ayo went 2nd round? I had him pencilled in as a backup G for us this year with one of those 20s picks.

But I didn't see Scottie Barnes playing this well... so - such is the draft! Some guys translate to the NBA, some don't work out, some exceed expectations!

raining threes and D-rock like this.
  11. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

A few more weeks, might be able to get "mid lotto steal" into the title... (ok, I officially take responsibility for killing it)

D-rock, Believe It! and peleincubus like this.
  12. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

Verbal Christ and D-rock like this.
  13. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

Floater game, sees the floor, connective passing.. Seems comfortable creating in transition, off secondary motion, attacking closeouts and rotations. Occasionally runs PnR. If he can get the 3 ball to like 35%, I think he could really thrive next to someone like Green or KPJ that gets the defense moving and creates chaos.

On defense, I think he has the size and frame to cover 1-3.

roslolian and Verbal Christ like this.
  14. i3artow i3aller

15. Rokman

Rokman Member

Here comes the Madness. . . and I mean on clutchfans.

i3artow i3aller and peleincubus like this.
  16. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://theathletic.com/3167733/202...ing-lsus-tari-eason-hollingers-week-that-was/

Prospect of the Week: Tari Eason, 6-8 sophomore, SF, LSU
    (Note: This section won’t necessarily profile the best prospect of the week. Just the one I’ve been watching.)

I went to Baton Rouge on Saturday to get eyeballs on Tari Eason in person and wasn’t disappointed: He had 20 points, nine rebounds and three assists in LSU’s 80-77 overtime win over Alabama, capped by an outta-nowhere flying block of a ’Bama 3-point attempt in overtime that he converted into a transition layup.

Eason has been one of the year’s biggest surprises, a transfer from Cincinnati who still comes off the bench despite being one of the most valuable players in college hoops this season. His game is mostly about energy and athleticism, with juuuuust enough skill layered over the top to make him interesting at the NBA level.

The 6-foot-8 height listing might be optimistic, but Eason certainly has enough size to cover any NBA wing and play up as a small-ball four at times. He’s a big-time athlete too, with stratospheric rates of stocks and rebounds for a player of his size: Eason averages 4.6 steals per 100 possessions but also sports a 15.9 percent rebound rate. Watching him nonchalantly twirl in the air for a one-handed 360 dunk in the layup line helped reinforce this point.

Defensively, I have little doubt he can check pro perimeter players. Alabama guards repeatedly attempted to beat Eason on switches and got absolutely nowhere doing it; not only does he have fast hands and good anticipation, but also he slides his feet well to cut off dribblers.

The bigger question for scouts is about his offense. Eason shoots a slingshot, flat-footed jumper from the right side of his body, one he surprisingly can get into off the dribble; his shooting numbers this year are fine (37.1 percent from 3, 78.7 percent from the line), but scouts still have questions about the projectability of his stroke. Eason did hit a pull-up 3 going to his left in this game, a question mark I had given the peculiar nature of his shooting motion.

The other issue with Eason is how wild he is on the ball. While he can overwhelm opponents with athleticism and draws heaps of fouls, his decision-making in the half court is … suboptimal. Eason averages more than two turnovers for every assist and seems to get tunnel vision once he starts dribbling. He’s also extremely right-handed; while he’s developed an effective counter spin to use against overplays, virtually any attack of his will be toward the right.

Finally, scouts will inevitably ask questions about what happened at Cincinnati and how he ended up leaving after a year.

Nonetheless, in a draft with few sure things outside the top-four picks, Eason seems like he’s established himself as a late lottery pick. The success of a similar player, New Orleans’ Herb Jones, is likely to help Eason’s draft stock as well. Teams will study the shooting mechanics and background info more deeply, but at the end of the day, wings with a serviceable stroke and this level of athleticism don’t grow on trees.

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  17. sydmill

sydmill Member

Im hoping he is off with Eason's height (though his lenth likely makes this neglible). I like Eason as a Patrick Williams type 4. At least on D. I think he could be a great fit next to Sengun. Would not be upset with a Griffin - Eason - Sengun front line of the future.

18. sydmill

sydmill Member

I am also getting higher and higher on Oscar Tshiebwe as a second round pick up for the Rockets. Think he brings a lot of what Duren does at much less premium pick. Plug and play energy big with plus rebounding.

19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

It's that time of year where every thread is a trade thread and every player is a possible steal or best pick for the position. Can't wait to look back and say "I told you so". lol.

20. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

Dude is putting together one of the best NCAA rebounding seasons of all time, and rebounding translates. He also not a complete zero offensively. No-brainer second round pick, but he recently signed with an NIL agency that could pay him more than being a late draft pick.

https://www.on3.com/teams/kentucky-...ltimillion-dollar-nil-deal-with-return-to-uk/