1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    GAME 7 ORLANDO vs CLEVELAND. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Last Minute Winning Drives

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by solid, Aug 25, 2014.

1. solid

solid Contributing Member

There has been a good bit of discounting the Texan's last minute winning drive against the Broncos: it was preseason, against the third stringers, who cares, etc. However, if you think back in Texan's history there hasn't been too many of these. Can you remember any? I have tried to google up some info on this but can't find much. There have been a good many last minute winning drives AGAINST the Texans, but, so far, it is hard to recall any by them. Help me out here. In any case, there was certainly reason to be excited, preseason or not.

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

3. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I remember one by David Carr where he sneaked one in last minute against Jacksonville. I'm sure there have been others but that was one that came to mind.

4. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

The Schaubster had a game winning QB draw against Miami in 2008. I am not making this up.

5. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

David Carr jumping over the goal-line. Matt Schaub running into the end zone against Miami. I'm pretty sure we've beaten the Patriots and the Colts on game-winning FGs. There was obviously the TJ Yates GW drive from a few seasons ago that put us in the playoffs. What about Schaub's throw to AJ to force OT against the Redskins?? The crazy Jacksonville game where AJ broke that 70 yard TD to win the game in OT a couple of seasons ago. I mean, is it really that hard to remember??

6. Major

Major Member

They only won 2 games last year, but weren't both on last minute drives/comebacks? In 2012, they had back-to-back OT wins, so those would both have been last possession wins.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Schaub had 14 game winning drives as a Texan, and he'd probably have had closer to 25 of them if the defense wasn't as terrible as it was for his first 4 years with the team. Numerous times we'd come back to take the lead in the last minute or two, but the defense would manage to give that lead up in the remaining time.

8. solid

How could I forget this one! May be the most famous since it put us in the playoffs.

9. solid

Apparently it is! ;) Do you know any sources where this information is presented an organized fashion?

10. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Schaub led an epic comeback on Monday Night against the Ravens and then proceeded to throw a gamelosing pick 6 in OT.

Texans/Schaub encapsulated.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

There have been 27 game winning drives in Texans history excluding the preseason.

12. solid

Where did you get this information if you don't mind sharing. Statistics like that are interesting. I didn't know where to look.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

14. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

He had the team is position to win or tie four games in 2009 alone - a guy named Brown (Chris or Kris) mucked it up each time.

Too many Texan fans vastly underrated Schaub during his prime ('08-'12). I think 16 weeks of Ryan Fitzpatrick might finally jolt some people out of their vitriolic haze.

15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

No, they will just say we have never had a good QB.

16. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

And be correct.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No, they wouldn't, they'd just have a very short memory.

18. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

That would have only worked if he left after the '12 complaints. Leaving now, everyone will just compare against last year. Fitzpatrick won't be worse than that

19. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Nobody hated on Schaub much when he was making Pro Bowls. Everyone understood that he was a good QB.

If there was one thing to hate on it was the lack of conversions in the red zone, which was a valid point.

Real hate started in 2012/2013. In 2012 he had putrid performances on national TV, and was embarrassing in the Pats postseason game. 2013 was one of the worst performances of any QB.

20. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I'll take the current version of Fitz over the current version of Schaub any day.

He's been so bad in Oakland that I actually feel bad for the guy. I mean, I am literally sad for him.

He may have more 3-and-outs than completions at this point. Someone can check on that.