1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Larry Sanders, anyone?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketsTerps, Jan 26, 2017.

1. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

I'm sure being in a city that was characterized by the team's owner as "the most segregated, racist place [he's] ever been" didn't help out Sanders' mental state

D-rock likes this.
  2. malakas

malakas Member

Yes ADDICTED. DO you know many players who can't control themselves in the least bit and get caught time after time? Nope. Sanders though? Couldn't stop.
    I dont' care about what Miami does with Bosh. This is another organisation and another player (in danger of death if he plays but nevermind) .
    What did Larry do to his teams?

Oh yeah..I also forgot to add another adjective. An animal abusing sob.

3. malakas

malakas Member

Personally? What means personally?
    Because I wish for a conman to get what he deserves? Whatever.
    It's only a matter of time anyway.

4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

There is no chemical addiction to weed malakas. It is a joke today that weed is forbidden in the NBA. Just because he didn't stop doesn't mean he couldn't stop. You are totally ignoring that we live in a league where players are drowning in drugs (pain killers, anti inflammatories, alcohol) while you are furious about weed, a natural medicine that is particularly helpful to basketball players. He broke an immoral rule. Big deal.

You have to care what Miami does to Bosh. It is the context in which this league operates, it is the true full picture of this discussion. I know it is convenient to ignore. This is the TYPE of organization that you are saying Sanders should not have legally secured his money from when he decided to quit. Organizations that are constantly immoral while acting legally, and then saying business is business. That's who Sanders negotiated a buyout with. It wasn't him stealing money from some struggling family. These are organizations who in the interest of money have fairly regularly been sexist, racist, classist, destroying careers, pushing players to take medication that will ruin their lives, lied to fans about their intention to win/lose, lie to fans about their willingness to spend money on the team... and this is all for money.

Again, he acted immorally in an immoral league. Context matters. As for the weed, I genuinely think you need to read more about it, I think you don't have any in depth information about it based on how you're describing it.

Animal abuse is terrible, if he did that it's terrible. And you would say these things regardless of whether he's an animal abuser.

5. oelman44

oelman44 Member

It honestly amazed me how fans expect players to be blindly loyal to these vague corporate entities that are called "professional teams" when they operate business in a more cut-throat manner than in any other industry. Not saying I want Morey to go soft and only sign good dudes, but you gotta remember its strictly business on both sides

6. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Corey Brewer pre goat death was actually a good pick-up. That is why they renewed his contract. Brewer was not always Sewer. His PTSD has effected his mental stability in every way. The year they got him he was my favorite Rocket.

7. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Key words: strictly business.

If a player has a player option and it benefits them to use it, they use it even if it screws the team. If there is a team option and a player has earned the value of that team option, the team will still screw them if it is in their interests. Having a clause or rule or term (or not having it) in your contract about quitting, and you want to quit because you don't want to play, means the player can use it if they want. It's no more or less immoral or illegal. These players are protecting themselves.

DonKnock likes this.
  8. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The blunt truth is that Larry Sanders was never all that good in the first place, even at his peak. He has been out for 2 years, but It might as well be 4 If you look at his last two years with the Bucks.

We can and NEED to do better.

Remlap and ilovehtownbb like this.
  9. ilovehtownbb

ilovehtownbb Member

smoking on that GDP all day everyday.

10. basketballholic

Guys, we're not going to sign Larry Sanders this late into the season and expect him to be a part of our primary rotation and pin our championship aspirations to him being the rim defender he was 4-5 years ago, when he's probably going to need 6-12 months to knock all the rust off and he may never be the defensive menace he was before he crashed and burned.

We may take a flyer on him as the 15th man and give him the Beasley-style two-year minimum contract with next year non-guaranteed AFTER we make our trades and roster moves as possible big man insurance if everybody else goes down, and let him play his way into shape in the valley and see what we got. But as a primary rotation player......forget it. Morey is not going to put this team in a position to have to depend on Larry Sanders.

By the way, just to remind you, I was very clear when Milwaukee gave Sanders his extension that it was extremely risky and could blow up in their face. Sanders has character flaws as bad or maybe worse than Beasley. I seriously doubt he ever makes it back to where he was before. Time keeps marching on and the NBA train of stardom left the station on him years ago. He's got too far to go in too short of time to get back on it. He's simply not the answer here and never will be.

#110 basketballholic, Jan 30, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
    mikol13 and Tha_Dude like this.
  11. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Regarding the chemical addiction debate on weed, there hasn't been accepted proof of a chemical addiction.

But like many things it can become a compulsion, where there isn't a chemical link, but still a mental fixation on it. This happens pretty frequently.

Anyway, like others have said, I'd consider Sanders in the Beasley role if Morey decides to pull the trigger on a deal. If not, we probably won't be missing much. Like others said, he probably wouldn't even crack the rotation until next season at best.

mikol13 and D-rock like this.
  12. seeingred

seeingred Member

I'd rather have Sanders on a minimum deal than Ibaka demanding a max. It's a low risk move, it doesn't affect our cap this off season, and maybe he makes himself useful as a player or an asset. Find a way to ship Brewer out with a 2nd round pick attached and we're in business.

glynch, DonKnock and RocketsTerps like this.
  13. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

In addition Sanders is the superior defender and rebounder. Serge is only averaging 6.8 rebounds in a contract year. Smh

DonKnock likes this.
  14. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Malakas and her weed addiction rant lmfao.

Weed addiction is like a McHale offensive set.

Non existent.

15. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

You state that there is no chemical addiction as fact. Where is your evidence for this? Millions - really billions - of people drink alcohol casually....yet there are "alcoholics". It's a pet peeve of mine when opinions are stated as facts.

16. Mathloom

Supporting Member

You don't prove something doesn't exist.

In this case, you would have to prove that chemical addiction does exist. I'll help you out: there is almost no evidence, nevermind proof. But if you feel like looking for it, knock yourself out.

There is hard proof alcohol is addictive. For this, I should provide evidence, but I'm not bothered. It is extremely common knowledge. There are, as you stated, alcoholics. There are people who die from alcoholism. Are you genuinely unsure that alcohol is addictive?

This is more D&D stuff, and there are tons of threads btw you can search for with lots of studies on both of these things.

DudeWah and DonKnock like this.
  17. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

Talented, self entitled big, sounds like the last center we had

18. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

I don't know one way or the other. I didn't even give an opinion. Just if you're going out of your way to refute Malakas' assertion, it would be nice if you could support your facts. It's not common knowledge, b/c I've known several people who claimed to be addicted to mar1juana with some level of withdrawal. it's a supportable fact that no one has had an overdose death off LSD - but if even heavy smokers of weed don't know it's "not addictive", I wouldn't call it commonly known.

ilovehtownbb likes this.
  19. D-rock

D-rock Member

Man, this thread went sideways fast.

Remlap, RocketsTerps, ksny15 and 2 others like this.
  20. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Weed is not an addiction. Anyone who is addicted to weed (LOL) simply had an addictive personality to begin with. Unlike nicotine, alcohol, painkillers, etc, you can easily quit weed cold turkey. Weed is also the most harmless of "drugs". It's a shame we live in a country where lawmakers are as clueless as they are.

DonKnock likes this.